Team Scoring Rules questions

slice60

I am new to this forum so please forgive me if this topic has already been covered.

1. Why don't 1st round matches count toward Team Scoring at Semistate? Do they use the same Team Scoring system at State?

It's a team competition so I think that the non-stud kid who has worked so hard to win a 1st round Semistate match for his team should be rewarded with those 2 Team Advancement Points. 

2. Is this Team Scoring system taken from National H.S. Rules or IHSAA Rules? Was it changed in the past couple of years?

3. What do you guys think of this system?  If my math is correct, Warren Central & Mater Dei would have taken home Team Semistate trophies yesterday instead of Cathedral & Avon.

I have no allegiance to any of those teams. Just a wrestling fan who is trying to understand why the Team Scoring works this way.

Because there is a lot of luck involved with randomly assigned forfeits at sectional it was proposed that first round pts at all levels of the tournament not count. The sectional thing makes sense but clearly not the other 3 weeks.

Since the IHSAA doesn't score Sectional in the Round of 16, they believe in keeping it equal all the way through the tournament. So the First round of Semi-State, and Friday night at state do not count towards team scores. Our sport is commissioned by people that have no understanding of the sport, and simply don't care to change anything that may be beneficial to the sport.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.