Weekend of April 18th

Huntington- 25 miles/ half hour

Yorktown- 75 miles/ 1.25 hours

Center Grove- 140 miles/ 2.25 hours

Princeton- 281 miles/ REALLY long ways

Portage- 120 miles/ 2.25 hours

Weekend of April 25th

Franklin- 145 miles/ 2.5 hours

So my kids need to find two tournaments while working around Spring Break(March 27-April 5th) along with any other things they partake in outside of wrestling.  There are barely three tournaments within a 2 hour drive and two of them are the same weekend.

From Fort Wayne here our the options

Weekend of March 21st

Mooresville- 145miles/2.5 hours

Terre Haute South- 203 miles/3 hours

Jeffersonville- 234 miles/ 3.5 hours

Weekend of March 28th

Penn- 80 Miles/1.75 Hours

Boonville- 295 miles/REALLY long ways

Weekend of April 11th

Perry Meridian- 135 miles/2 hours

Carmel- 115 miles/ 2 hours + need to find 10 other kids

Seymour- 183 miles/ 2.75 hours

Weekend of April 18th

Huntington- 25 miles/ half hour

Yorktown- 75 miles/ 1.25 hours

Center Grove- 140 miles/ 2.25 hours

Princeton- 281 miles/ REALLY long ways

Portage- 120 miles/ 2.25 hours

Weekend of April 25th

Franklin- 145 miles/ 2.5 hours

So my kids need to find two tournaments while working around Spring Break(March 27-April 5th) along with any other things they partake in outside of wrestling.  There are barely three tournaments within a 2 hour drive and two of them are the same weekend.

I was telling the Wawasee High School Head Coach (he didn't know of this new rule and they are members of ISWA) and he said he may have one.  I will talk with him this weekend to make sure the information I am saying is correct.

Please note that this subject was given much thought and discussion at Sundays board meeting. An official statement on this matter will be sent out VERY soon. I can tell you a few things. First, there will be more tournaments added. Clubs realize the need for more tourneys in the corners of the state, so they will be stepping up. For me, this is VERY exciting and goes to show that the new guidelines are helping to provide more opportunities. Second, the two tournament rule will not apply to Greco. This was waived at the end of the last calendar year. If anyone would attend the monthly meetings, they would be aware of this fact. Lastly, this was not put in place over night. This policy was brought to the table this time last year. I would encourage all clubs or people with serious concerns on policy (such as this one) to attend a meeting and to voice their opinions. I assure you that you will be heard and given a fair shake. Sure this message board helps get things out there.......... but if you would like to make you views truly heard, you do have a forum (once a month). Please come! I can assure you that you do not get this with most other state's organizations. If you have attended an ISWA board meeting (not just the annual meeting) you would see that all policy changes are discussed and voted on. There are no knee jerk policies being made. I have set through a hour debate about tape on headgear! I assure you all that your concerns have been taken into consideration. Will all of us bee happy with the outcome??????? NO, but how can we knock an organization for trying to do the best that they can for kids. If anyone thinks that there is anything else other then that motivating the ISWA, then they are just plain wrong. We will continue to give you all what you want. Also, we will do what we think is the best to continue to develop our Greco and Freestyle programs. At the end of the day.... If these policies fail ...... we will have to go back and tweak things. But, we must try something to keep Freestyle and Greco alive. If nothing is changed.... then it will continue to die. NONE of us want that!!! Please stand by for an official response from your state board.

Matthew Brewer

ISWA Kids Director

Please note that this subject was given much thought and discussion at Sundays board meeting. An official statement on this matter will be sent out VERY soon. I can tell you a few things. First, there will be more tournaments added. Clubs realize the need for more tourneys in the corners of the state, so they will be stepping up. For me, this is VERY exciting and goes to show that the new guidelines are helping to provide more opportunities. Second, the two tournament rule will not apply to Greco. This was waived at the end of the last calendar year. If anyone would attend the monthly meetings, they would be aware of this fact. Lastly, this was not put in place over night. This policy was brought to the table this time last year. I would encourage all clubs or people with serious concerns on policy (such as this one) to attend a meeting and to voice their opinions. I assure you that you will be heard and given a fair shake. Sure this message board helps get things out there.......... but if you would like to make you views truly heard, you do have a forum (once a month). Please come! I can assure you that you do not get this with most other state's organizations. If you have attended an ISWA board meeting (not just the annual meeting) you would see that all policy changes are discussed and voted on. There are no knee jerk policies being made. I have set through a hour debate about tape on headgear! I assure you all that your concerns have been taken into consideration. Will all of us bee happy with the outcome??????? NO, but how can we knock an organization for trying to do the best that they can for kids. If anyone thinks that there is anything else other then that motivating the ISWA, then they are just plain wrong. We will continue to give you all what you want. Also, we will do what we think is the best to continue to develop our Greco and Freestyle programs. At the end of the day.... If these policies fail ...... we will have to go back and tweak things. But, we must try something to keep Freestyle and Greco alive. If nothing is changed.... then it will continue to die. NONE of us want that!!! Please stand by for an official response from your state board.

Matthew Brewer

ISWA Kids Director

Probably the reason why no one attends

Probably the reason why no one attends

True... but we came to the conclusion that kids were getting skin disease from the funk on the tape on the head gear. Hopefully our debate has prevented hundreds of our kids from getting skin funk and saved you all (maybe even you big dan) thousands in Dr. bills. Crazy right! Now that I look back.... it was worth every minute of my Sunday.  

Btw.. It may have been 30 to 45 minutes. But..... ya get my drift! The people on the board are great people and VERY thoughtful. It will be impossible for all of us to agree on all matters. Any opinion will be heard and discussed. And... the kids are our number one priority at all times. That's all that I am getting at.

I guess we aren't going to state.  weekends after state are Dominate the Dells, Tour of America Nationals, Iowa Nationals, TN Duals, Ohio TOC, and Viper Pit Duals.  So no we will not avoid the best kids in the nation to wrestle 2 freestyle tournaments locally(no really locally bc Indy is 2+ hours away).  Oh well we get tons have experience and training in freestyle in our club. 

True... but we came to the conclusion that kids were getting skin disease from the funk on the tape on the head gear. Hopefully our debate has prevented hundreds of our kids from getting skin funk and saved you all (maybe even you big dan) thousands in Dr. bills. Crazy right! Now that I look back.... it was worth every minute of my Sunday.  

Btw.. It may have been 30 to 45 minutes. But..... ya get my drift! The people on the board are great people and VERY thoughtful. It will be impossible for all of us to agree on all matters. Any opinion will be heard and discussed. And... the kids are our number one priority at all times. That's all that I am getting at.

I think you have missed my point.  I have no question you made the right decision, it is the fact that it took your group 60 minutes to figure it out that is perplexing.  If I had driven from Evansville to Indy and had to sit for an hour while people are discussing the fungus among us, i would probably be concussed from banging my palm to my forehead.  It seems clear that there are some clear communication issues from the rank and file and no one is addressing those issues.

I think you have missed my point.  I have no question you made the right decision, it is the fact that it took your group 60 minutes to figure it out that is perplexing.  If I had driven from Evansville to Indy and had to sit for an hour while people are discussing the fungus among us, i would probably be concussed from banging my palm to my forehead.  It seems clear that there are some clear communication issues from the rank and file and no one is addressing those issues.

I think that you are missing my point. In my next post a stated that it may not have been that long. My point was to let to folks know that the board is VERY thoughtful and do not make knee jerk decisions. Also it is easy to knock the board meeting when some have never been to one. The truth is that we get a ton done. We have around 20 outstanding folks that make wrestling the best it possibly can be for 8,000 plus wrestlers state wide (no one makes a dime doing this). The meetings are enjoyable. It is fun to do good things for kids. We share laughs and have food too. So sure poo poo the meeting or don't come. All I'm saying is we are here for you. And if you do decide to come, you will be welcomed.

Big Dan, you seem to be interested in making things better. Your attendance and views would be appreciated. Thanks

You have yet to acknowledge that there are communication issues in your organization.  That IS the point you are missing.  Does it take someone to be in attendance for anyone to accept this fact???  Im more interested in how organizations like the ISWA go about their business than I am in making anything better but I have already given you a simple suggestion that would improve the organization dramatically.....Communicate better!!!  Advice is free of charge this time.

Well we have a pretty good website where you can find tons of information. We keep board meeting minutes that can be provided if asked for. We send all clubs a monthly news letter. We send all clubs updates on a regular basis. We have an office staff that is available most days (via phone). If you feel that you are not getting what you need, please give me a call and I will communicate with you.

Thank you for the advice!
Matt brewer
317-201-0644

I couldn't help but notice that yesterday there was a post by the ISWA on this site about the recent weigh in changes for the upcoming FK state!!! AttaBoy!!! I also noticed that they have 3 posts so it must be a new approach that was possibly discussed last Sunday. I assume that someone took to heart what we up in the North are trying to convey..use the technology! Someone stated previously that this year's changes were mentioned at the annual meeting and were heard being discussed by coaches and officials at last year's state FS/GK event. I'm sorry I was not privy to those conversation! I do have the interwebs/twitter/email tho! I think that's the point. If the ISWA had posted this change either on their web page, on this site, or via email to the emails they did have (I know they have mine, I did not get one), then we could have had these conversations for the past 8-10 months instead of the past week.

As Sig/BigDan state, we just can't get down there. We care, we want the same things but the times of relying on in person meetings/mailings/PUBLICATIONS is past! I used to get SI/Time mags. I no longer do. Not because I don't care about sports and the world...I get the info from a different source! Embrace the technology. Good Lord, we're all pumped for a Wed Google Hangout....why don't we all just get a 6 pack and driver over to Joe's house and talk wrestling?? That's what the ISWA would propose. Technology be darned!!

I suppose I could be wrong and missing the point.

Again, we have a website and send out emails. Please ask you club leaders to forward the emails to you or call the office and ask the VERY nice ladies if you can be added to the email list. I am sure that they will hook you up. Short of doing a Google hang out, what else would you like for there to be done?

Uncle Jimmy, I am not sure what Section you are in...... but the two Section Directors up North are Mark Galka and Mary Friedt. Thier info can be found on the ISWA website. They will be more than happy to address your concerns. They both spoke at the last meeting and advised that they were getting clubs to add more tournaments this season. So.... yes your concerns were heard loud and clear. We are trying to help your situation. Please know this.

I couldn't help but notice that yesterday there was a post by the ISWA on this site about the recent weigh in changes for the upcoming FK state!!! AttaBoy!!! I also noticed that they have 3 posts so it must be a new approach that was possibly discussed last Sunday. I assume that someone took to heart what we up in the North are trying to convey..use the technology! Someone stated previously that this year's changes were mentioned at the annual meeting and were heard being discussed by coaches and officials at last year's state FS/GK event. I'm sorry I was not privy to those conversation! I do have the interwebs/twitter/email tho! I think that's the point. If the ISWA had posted this change either on their web page, on this site, or via email to the emails they did have (I know they have mine, I did not get one), then we could have had these conversations for the past 8-10 months instead of the past week.

As Sig/BigDan state, we just can't get down there. We care, we want the same things but the times of relying on in person meetings/mailings/PUBLICATIONS is past! I used to get SI/Time mags. I no longer do. Not because I don't care about sports and the world...I get the info from a different source! Embrace the technology. Good Lord, we're all pumped for a Wed Google Hangout....why don't we all just get a 6 pack and driver over to Joe's house and talk wrestling?? That's what the ISWA would propose. Technology be darned!!

I suppose I could be wrong and missing the point.

Great post and I think this is a great summary of how a lot of us feel.  You cannot go saying you are doing everything possible to let people know about events when this many people don't know.

Great post and I think this is a great summary of how a lot of us feel.  You cannot go saying you are doing everything possible to let people know about events when this many people don't know.

We need to ask ourselves. Is this a state organization issue or a club issue? We have the tools (website, meetings, and emails to clubs). We get the information on the site. We send updates and news letters to clubs. Perhaps, we all could do a better job of educating ourselves. Also as a club leader, I could do a better job forwarding information that I get from the ISWA to my families. In light of this thread, I will be doing a better job making sure that my club members are not left in the dark. I would challenge others to do the same.

We need to ask ourselves. Is this a state organization issue or a club issue? We have the tools (website, meetings, and emails to clubs). We get the information on the site. We send updates and news letters to clubs. Perhaps we all could do a better job of educating ourselves. Also as a club leader, I could do a better job forwarding information that I get from the ISWA to my families. In light of this thread, I will be doing a better job making sure that my club members are not left in the dark. I would challenge other to do the same.

Because not all of us are set up as clubs.  A good example is if I own a business and I want your business, sell you a service, or product, than I come to you or search you out.  Now this situation is a little bit different, but not much if you are trying to build the success that ISWA is saying that they want with fs/gr.  Much like it has been discussed about how to make a WOW factor at home wrestling matches to bring more kids into wrestling, like a business approach.  All I keep seeing from the ISWA, from this post, is how it is everyone's fault because we don't know what happens in a meeting that you promote on your website.  A website that most of us visit 1, maybe 2 times a year. 

Like I have said in earlier post, I'm not hear to argue.  I feel like ISWA at this point should take the high road, and figure out a solution to the gap in communication.  ISWA maybe the only option for Freestyle in Indiana, but not the only option for wrestling and in this way makes them that business I talked about earlier. 

Because not all of us are set up as clubs. A good example is if I own a business and I want your business, sell you a service, or product, than I come to you or search you out. Now this situation is a little bit different, but not much if you are trying to build the success that ISWA is saying that they want with fs/gr. Much like it has been discussed about how to make a WOW factor at home wrestling matches to bring more kids into wrestling, like a business approach. All I keep seeing from the ISWA, from this post, is how it is everyone's fault because we don't know what happens in a meeting that you promote on your website. A website that most of us visit 1, maybe 2 times a year.

Like I have said in earlier post, I'm not hear to argue. I feel like ISWA at this point should take the high road, and figure out a solution to the gap in communication. ISWA maybe the only option for Freestyle in Indiana, but not the only option for wrestling and in this way makes them that business I talked about earlier.

Great post. Now that we have established all of this. What would you suggest? We need solutions. What would make you happy?

From your post... I take it that you want the iswa to come to your house? Just kidding.... I would like to hear Solutions. We already advertise on the indiana mat!.

Edited by Mattyb

Great post. Now that we have established all of this. What would you suggest? We need solutions. What would make you happy?

What is the realization of possible satellite meetings.  Have meetings with area reps and they bring new info both ways.  Create a place on ISWA site or here for information to be voted on or talked about.  I'm sure there are a ton more ideas that would cost less money and create great outcomes.  There are much smarter people out there with technology than I am.  I think it would be hard to do, as mentioned earlier a feed online, because it would take to long to translate all the post in a timely manner.  But a feed could be done as a small group giving out information.

What is the realization of possible satellite meetings.  Have meetings with area reps and they bring new info both ways.  Create a place on ISWA site or here for information to be voted on or talked about.  I'm sure there are a ton more ideas that would cost less money and create great outcomes.  There are much smarter people out there with technology than I am.  I think it would be hard to do, as mentioned earlier a feed online, because it would take to long to translate all the post in a timely manner.  But a feed could be done as a small group giving out information.

Great stuff. I will bring these ideas to your section director and will bring your ideas up at the next board meeting. Way to be a part of the solution. This is how most of us board members started (with ideas and opinions). Trying to make things better and giving to the kids. That's what I am all about. Thanks, Brewer

Edited by Mattyb

What about allowing kids that placed last year in the freestyle state tournament be their qualifier for this year.  Other kids can qualify by going to 2 events or 1.  I don't understand why ISWA wants to eliminate a large part of the state, this will only hurt the numbers and their dual teams. 

Everyone knows how great IL is, so why wouldnt the kids up north take advantage of the great competition and elite tournaments?

What about allowing kids that placed last year in the freestyle state tournament be their qualifier for this year.  Other kids can qualify by going to 2 events or 1.  I don't understand why ISWA wants to eliminate a large part of the state, this will only hurt the numbers and their dual teams. 

Everyone knows how great IL is, so why wouldnt the kids up north take advantage of the great competition and elite tournaments?

Don't worry our Junior duals team is already picked. No need to even try out for it. Heck, you don't even need to go to any freestyle events(local, state, or national) to qualify now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.