1965 Bloomington Regional & 1990 Castle Regional

hook and half

25 & 50 years ago!  The following contains excerpts from "We are MD...A History of Mater Dei Wrestling"

1965 Bloomington Regional:  Champions from the New Albany, Mater Dei, Crawfordsville and Franklin Central sectionals advanced to the Bloomington regional.  Bloomington was one of four regional sites in the state.  Stakes were high as one was required to win the regional in order to advance to the State Meet.

Mater Dei had a banner day placing all three entries in the final and advancing two to State.  127-pound Steve Moore won his preliminary match and was awarded the championship after it was determined that Bloomington’s Chris Shelton had illegally head-butted Moore.  The injury, just above Moore’s eye, required eight stitches to close.

“I was ahead, 1-0,” said Moore.  “He head-butted me, but Shelton got the worst of it.  His forehead bled profusely.”

Heavyweight John McDurmon’s day had much less drama.  Easily advancing to the final, McDurmon dominated Southport’s Robert Clevenger from the opening whistle and got the fall at 4:23.

“McDurmon, was a tall, lean and strong guy,” said classmate and friend, Steve Niemeier.  “His back muscles made him look like a cobra.”

120-pound Larry Pendley advanced to the final and was nursing a 2-1 lead when Franklin Central’s Everett Barnard put in a guillotine, nearly pinning Pendley and winning, 4-2.

“I was hurting after that guillotine,” said Pendley.  “After that, I couldn’t get anything going.”

Other Title Bouts:

95- Jerry Estes (New Albany) pinned Jack Ott (Noblesville)

103- Richard Goodman (Floyd Central) decisioned Robert Ott (Noblesville)

112- Norman Nelson (Mt. Vernon, Posey) pinned Chris Ware (Southport)

133- Mike Anderson (Bloomington) Tom Fay (Crawfordsville)

138-  Dan Carr (Southport) decisioned Bill Wilson (Reitz)

145- Rodney Young (Bloomington) decisioned Glen Hahn (Reitz)

154- Larry Curran (Crawfordsville) pinned Dave Dierdorf (Southport)

165- Edward Pierce (Columbus) pinned Lance Bennett (Southport)

180- Morty McDaniel (Bloomington University) decisioned Bill Hape (Reitz)

Returning state champion Southport captured the team title.  Mater Dei finished second, 26 points behind the champs. 

1990 Castle Regional:  Mater Dei's Steve Zenthoefer was handed his first loss of the year by Central’s Rusty Seiler in the final of the sectional.  The loss was unexpected, as Zenthoefer had beaten Seiler with a last-second pin in the dual meeting.

“I didn’t feel the best, but I’m not using that as an excuse,” said Zenthoefer.  “I felt okay before I wrestled, I Just got real tired after the first period.  It just wore me out.  It was like I was wrestling the first match of the year.” 

Coach Mike Goebel was sure that there was a comeback within Zenthoefer.

“What he had is not crippling, but it probably set him back a little,” Goebel said.  “If I know him, he’ll be ready to go come Saturday morning.”

Princeton's top-ranked 171-pounder, John Boes, received his first challenge of the year in the regional final from Mater Dei's Jeff Ludwig.  Boes, an owner of a 28-0 record with 25 pins and three technical falls, prevailed with a 14-8 decision.  

"I was surprised," said Boes.  "He (Ludwig) was tall and had a lot of leverage.  That made it hard for me to do some things because I'm shorter and stockier."

The Princeton Tigers were devastated in the first round when Jim Maglis was upset by Tell City's Eddie Howland.

"I don't know if he couldn't handle the pressure or what," commented Princeton coach, Milt Westlund.  "That hurt a lot and carried over to the team."

Southridge's Chad Williams beat Howland, in overtime, for the 112 pound title.

Castle's Nick Antey, after losing two consecutive matches to Princeton's Kevin Keiffer, righted the ship and beat Keiffer, 9-5 in the title match at 152.

As Goebel predicted, Zenthoefer was ready for the regional.  The loss from the sectional gave him an unfavorable draw.  Ultimately, it was of no consequence as he defeated the previously unbeaten Craig Recker of Forest Park in the semifinal, 5-1.  Zenthoefer proceeded to avenge the earlier loss to Seiler by beating him in the final, 5-0.

Zenthoefer’s win propelled the ‘Cats to 202 points and their 13th consecutive regional championship.  Princeton was second with 103.5 points.  Nine Wildcats found themselves in the final face-off and seven went home with championships.   With Craig Elpers’ third place finish, 10 ‘Cats qualified for semi state.

“It was absolutely our best performance of the season,” said Goebel.  “We’re coming together nicely.” 

Rusty Head, Bark Zirkelbach, Brett McDurmon, Matt Goebel, Mark Alvey and John Barnes were also champions.  McDurmon crushed the field with two major decisions and a fall.  McDurmon did not surrender a point.  Barnes came up big with an upset of Southridge’s 30-1 Todd Trent in the final, defeating him, 5-3.

“That was a real good win for John,” said Goebel.  “He’s been getting better and better.”

Matt Goebel had to fight off unconsciousness to claim his title.  Trailing Princeton’s Shane Matthews, 2-1, Goebel got his air cut off with a tight neck wrench.  He required smelling salts in order to be revived.  Mike Goebel nearly called the match, but Matt Goebel pulled himself together and hit a five-point move for the win.

“He’s all right now, but he was close to passing out,” said Goebel.  “A lot of guys would have said they couldn’t continue, but Matt wouldn’t.”

Matt Stevens of Harrison, Jason Greer of Princeton and Castle's Steve Seitz also captured titles.

25 & 50 years ago!  The following contains excerpts from "We are MD...A History of Mater Dei Wrestling"

1965 Bloomington Regional:  Champions from the New Albany, Mater Dei, Crawfordsville and Franklin Central sectionals advanced to the Bloomington regional.  Bloomington was one of four regional sites in the state.  Stakes were high as one was required to win the regional in order to advance to the State Meet.

Mater Dei had a banner day placing all three entries in the final and advancing two to State.  127-pound Steve Moore won his preliminary match and was awarded the championship after it was determined that Bloomington’s Chris Shelton had illegally head-butted Moore.  The injury, just above Moore’s eye, required eight stitches to close.

“I was ahead, 1-0,” said Moore.  “He head-butted me, but Shelton got the worst of it.  His forehead bled profusely.”

Heavyweight John McDurmon’s day had much less drama.  Easily advancing to the final, McDurmon dominated Southport’s Robert Clevenger from the opening whistle and got the fall at 4:23.

“McDurmon, was a tall, lean and strong guy,” said classmate and friend, Steve Niemeier.  “His back muscles made him look like a cobra.”

120-pound Larry Pendley advanced to the final and was nursing a 2-1 lead when Franklin Central’s Everett Barnard put in a guillotine, nearly pinning Pendley and winning, 4-2.

“I was hurting after that guillotine,” said Pendley.  “After that, I couldn’t get anything going.”

Other Title Bouts:

95- Jerry Estes (New Albany) pinned Jack Ott (Noblesville)

103- Richard Goodman (Floyd Central) decisioned Robert Ott (Noblesville)

112- Norman Nelson (Mt. Vernon, Posey) pinned Chris Ware (Southport)

133- Mike Anderson (Bloomington) Tom Fay (Crawfordsville)

138-  Dan Carr (Southport) decisioned Bill Wilson (Reitz)

145- Rodney Young (Bloomington) decisioned Glen Hahn (Reitz)

154- Larry Curran (Crawfordsville) pinned Dave Dierdorf (Southport)

165- Edward Pierce (Columbus) pinned Lance Bennett (Southport)

180- Morty McDaniel (Bloomington University) decisioned Bill Hape (Reitz)

Returning state champion Southport captured the team title.  Mater Dei finished second, 26 points behind the champs. 

1990 Castle Regional:  Mater Dei's Steve Zenthoefer was handed his first loss of the year by Central’s Rusty Seiler in the final of the sectional.  The loss was unexpected, as Zenthoefer had beaten Seiler with a last-second pin in the dual meeting.

“I didn’t feel the best, but I’m not using that as an excuse,” said Zenthoefer.  “I felt okay before I wrestled, I Just got real tired after the first period.  It just wore me out.  It was like I was wrestling the first match of the year.” 

Coach Mike Goebel was sure that there was a comeback within Zenthoefer.

“What he had is not crippling, but it probably set him back a little,” Goebel said.  “If I know him, he’ll be ready to go come Saturday morning.”

Princeton's top-ranked 171-pounder, John Boes, received his first challenge of the year in the regional final from Mater Dei's Jeff Ludwig.  Boes, an owner of a 28-0 record with 25 pins and three technical falls, prevailed with a 14-8 decision.  

"I was surprised," said Boes.  "He (Ludwig) was tall and had a lot of leverage.  That made it hard for me to do some things because I'm shorter and stockier."

The Princeton Tigers were devastated in the first round when Jim Maglis was upset by Tell City's Eddie Howland.

"I don't know if he couldn't handle the pressure or what," commented Princeton coach, Milt Westlund.  "That hurt a lot and carried over to the team."

Southridge's Chad Williams beat Howland, in overtime, for the 112 pound title.

Castle's Nick Antey, after losing two consecutive matches to Princeton's Kevin Keiffer, righted the ship and beat Keiffer, 9-5 in the title match at 152.

As Goebel predicted, Zenthoefer was ready for the regional.  The loss from the sectional gave him an unfavorable draw.  Ultimately, it was of no consequence as he defeated the previously unbeaten Craig Recker of Forest Park in the semifinal, 5-1.  Zenthoefer proceeded to avenge the earlier loss to Seiler by beating him in the final, 5-0.

Zenthoefer’s win propelled the ‘Cats to 202 points and their 13th consecutive regional championship.  Princeton was second with 103.5 points.  Nine Wildcats found themselves in the final face-off and seven went home with championships.   With Craig Elpers’ third place finish, 10 ‘Cats qualified for semi state.

“It was absolutely our best performance of the season,” said Goebel.  “We’re coming together nicely.” 

Rusty Head, Bark Zirkelbach, Brett McDurmon, Matt Goebel, Mark Alvey and John Barnes were also champions.  McDurmon crushed the field with two major decisions and a fall.  McDurmon did not surrender a point.  Barnes came up big with an upset of Southridge’s 30-1 Todd Trent in the final, defeating him, 5-3.

“That was a real good win for John,” said Goebel.  “He’s been getting better and better.”

Matt Goebel had to fight off unconsciousness to claim his title.  Trailing Princeton’s Shane Matthews, 2-1, Goebel got his air cut off with a tight neck wrench.  He required smelling salts in order to be revived.  Mike Goebel nearly called the match, but Matt Goebel pulled himself together and hit a five-point move for the win.

“He’s all right now, but he was close to passing out,” said Goebel.  “A lot of guys would have said they couldn’t continue, but Matt wouldn’t.”

Matt Stevens of Harrison, Jason Greer of Princeton and Castle's Steve Seitz also captured titles.

Who is Bark Zirkelbach? Is related to Gabe and Bart?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.