looks small, slow and frustrated. Got manhandled by Sammy Brooks bad. He doesn't look to be progressing well. He's still crafty for a bigger guy but has major trouble finishing. I thought he'd be way further along with Borschel in the room. 

With Sliga we do have to remember he is just a red-shirt Freshman wrestling in an upper weight class.  Yes, I know other upper weight wrestlers have had a great NCAA tournament runs as red-shirt freshman, but its not common.  He may just need another year or so to truely put all the pieces together that are needed to be a serious threat at that weight.

looks small, slow and frustrated. Got manhandled by Sammy Brooks bad. He doesn't look to be progressing well. He's still crafty for a bigger guy but has major trouble finishing. I thought he'd be way further along with Borschel in the room. 

That is  life in the Big Ten, there are not weeks off or fishes. He is 9-13 so far this year? 

He seems like a tweener, cutting for 184 (?), way to small for 197, his high school weight. I don't know if he cut much in high school, but I imagine

the academics of a Northwestern (or any Big Ten School) and dieting take some time to get used to.

However, 184 currently is one of the weaker Big Ten weights on the top end, but still has 5 or 6 guys in that 10-20 ranking.

184 & 197 are the weights where unheralded guys improve the most; some of these guys are maturing, and many who did not wrestle year round in high school

are making that jump in technique, and the strength development happens. You can't push guys around anymore. That's why you see so many

MAC, East Coast, / PA guys - underrated in high school, got into college, size exploded...

• 1 month later...

I know the concern is how Mitch Sliga is doing on the mat but I just saw that he made Academic All Big Ten. Ultimately that is what it is all about. Congratulations

No doubt.  Great that he's thriving in the classroom.

I just don't understand how a kid like Gabe Dean can be so much better than Sliga at this point when two years ago, they were basically a similar type of recruit.