Lee not scored upon

Jayruss

The SIAC preview brought to our attention that Nick Lee is so darn good that he hasn't been scored upon all year. If he went this year and the next 2 without getting taken down, reversed etc, is that unprecented, or has someone else accomplished this ?

Some of Indiana's top guys ever such as J. Tsirtsis, Howe, Escobedo, Micic etc., plus someone like Red currently have likely had (or could have in Reds case) one or two years of not allowing any offensive points. But I don't have to stats in front of me to say which ones would qulity. I'd venture to guess accomplishing this three years straight would put Lee among a small group or he may possibly be the first.

It does also depends what you consider offensive points. In many cases people don't like to count escapes when brining up scoring dominance. But should it be counted since an opponent does score from an escape? And if that's a fuzzy area then are allowing it by assuming all escapes they give up aredue to cutting an opponent when some in actuality could be the result the bottom mans effort to get out.

Another rare accomplishment we could see at some point out of current studs like Red or Lee would be tech falling and pinning every opponent in a season. I'd say that may be a more very small group of all time greats too.

You can take A. Tsirtsis off of that list, he was scored on as a junior or senior, I can't recall which year, but it was to a wrestler from LC. Escobedo took a loss in Illinois to Gomez as a Junior or Senior as well, so he would have been scored on in that match. Howe and Micic I believe meet the 3 year criteria, however I know Howe had a close finals match as a sophomore, so he may have been scored on in that match, but leading up to that and then the following two years he was not scored upon.   

Would that be from Jimtowns Shane Perkey?  Or is my old age fogging my memory.

It definitely was Perkey.  Someone recently tried to tell me it happened off of a throw, but I'm almost certain it was a roll-through when Angel had him on his back.  Anybody have video?

I found this post from 08 - it mentions both scenarios

ontherise219

Rankings coordinator

• photo-thumb-7290.jpg?_r=1413205894
  • IndianaMat Staff
  • staff.png
  • 3,766 posts
  • LocationREGION
  • School: Calumet

Posted December 22, 2008 - 11:40 PM

I know I'm About 2 months early, But here are two that almost brought the House down
Alex Tsirtsis Griffith vs Craig Weinzaphel  Mater Dei
Both were returning Champions. Alex was on his way to 236-0 when he and Craig meet up. The place exploded when Weinzaphel put him to his back twice, I'm pretty sure there wasn't a single person in their seat. Alex went on to win the match and was a 4x unbeaten champ. But this was his closest match at Conseco.
Angel Escobedo Griffith vs Shane Perkey Jimtown
Angel was on his way for his 3rd title but Shane Perkey Came out and gave his all throwing everything he could at Angel Even out Angel to his back for a good amount time Once again the place went Bonkers and once again no one was in there seat. Angel went on to win by fall.

These were 2 of the biggest moments I remembered 

I believe there was a 2 time state champ at heavy weight in 1994-1995 that did not surrender any offensive points.  Andy Schneider or something close to that.  Sorry for the butcher of the name just in case.  

Yes this is true, I remember him, from Mnt Vernon.  Good guy and I dont believe he went to college to play any sports, I have heard he didnt go to college at all so he could work his family business. (not sure if thats true)

I know Howe had a close finals match as a sophomore, so he may have been scored on in that match.

Did Howe give up any offense points after his freshman year in indiana?

Howe's freshman year he only had one close match at state in the quarter-finals and his loss to Humphrey in the finals. So not to many point likely given up all year besides that.

Howe's Sophmore Year State Finals Run

19-4 TF

18-3 TF

4-2 OT

6-2 Dec.

This plausable could be all escapes, though you can't tell from the box score which are earned and which were being "cut."

Howe pretty much ran a Takedown Clinic through state both his Junior and Senior year. So I doubt anyone really scored a point in those matches that he didn't let them have by cutting them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.