Scottie Sopko!

ontherise219

if i'm not mistaken, you only need one weigh in at scratch weight

True. The qualifying weigh ins would be the issue I think. In todays paper his coach was quoted saying he's been around 164 so they thought 162 was no problem.  Sounded like that was a first being that low though. We'll see in a week. Could be very interesting. 

Isn't a "qualifying weigh-in" one where it meets his alpha plan and does not go too low or high?  I'm in Illinois now and they have a nasty rule where if you make scratch at a legal weight on your plan and you wrestle up two weights, you are stuck at that two-weight-above weight, regardless of your alpha plan's lowest possible weight or any other weight on the plan you made scratch at.

Isn't a "qualifying weigh-in" one where it meets his alpha plan and does not go too low or high?  I'm in Illinois now and they have a nasty rule where if you make scratch at a legal weight on your plan and you wrestle up two weights, you are stuck at that two-weight-above weight, regardless of your alpha plan's lowest possible weight or any other weight on the plan you made scratch at.

That rule only applies in IN after sectionals in the old team state format.  If you wrestle the individual tournament a certain weight, you can only wrestle that weight class or one above it in the team tournament.  Crown Point tried to bump Eric Roach up two weight classes and they were not able to, even though Roach weighed in at 152.  He won state at 145 the previous week, so he was not able to bump up to 160 at team state.  During the regular season a wrestler may weigh in at any weight regardless of where he was the previous week, day, or month.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.