2 Pound Weight Allowance

ENoblewrestling

A few quick 2 pound weight allowance questions.

1.  Does the two pound allowance count toward everyone, or do you have to have previously made scratch weight for it to come into effect?  Example your 160 weights 154 and wrestles 160, and has never made 152.  Is that wrestler eligible to wrestle 152, or does he have to make scratch 152 before it comes into effect?  I do realize that this would not be a qualifying weigh-in at that weight, but could he still wrestle that weight?

2.  What season did the two pound allowance come into effect?  I don't remember it from when I wrestled (late 90's), did it exist then?  If so has it always been around?

3.  Do any other coaches dislike the allowance?  I am sure wrestlers disagree, but I can't stand it.  I think that it does more harm than good.  With the two pound allowance and only needing to make scratch weight once I think that it encourages kids to make bigger weight cuts.  This is especially true of the weights that are closer to each other.  If you weight 138, 134 is not that far off for example.  Makes the sectional a real guessing game in a lot of cases.

I don't think the scratch thing comes into effect until January, when they have to have made scratch prior to the sectional seeding meeting.  They do have to actually wrestle in the sectional weight class at least once during January, too, correct?  I am feeling a bit forgetful.

Not sure on # 2.

I never noticed larger swings due to the allowances.  I mainly recall initial drops to targeted weight classes and the too much/too little yo-yoing, but I would blame that on the weekly increment.  It seems like a good thing, but it just seems very unnatural to put an iron-clad weekly weight loss time increment out there and expect human people to do it via fiat.  Weekly ranges of loss would seem more logical to be incorporated into the season-long plan and minimum obtainable weight class. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.