Indiana's Big Ten team competition

• 3 weeks later...

Indiana University wrestling is completely embarrassing.  The athletic director must not care about wrestling or even competing.  While a couple IU wrestlers are competitive, the team is horrible.  Bottom of the Big10 and nobody seems to care.   

I am not one to sit behind a keyboard and talk mess. But you did kind of challenge the integrity of the University and the coaches/wrestlers.  With that being said, I would state that there are a lot of people who care, and the coaches are in that group. 

While this season has been tuff, I would ask you to take a look at last years recruiting class and see what they accomplished this season on the redshirt trail. Add to them this years recruited class and returning starters from this years team, and I would say the future is bright.

Just thought I would throw that out as I have seen first hand the work put in and commitment level of the team and coaches. 

Jeff Martin

Jeff, great points on last years class let me ask several questions as you seem close to the coaches

So where does it rate to previous incoming classes?

How does IU have forfeits this year at certain weights?

How did IU not have a hwy going into the season

What happen with Certification this year, is it true a pre-test was sent into the NCAA by mistake?

How many certifications does the NCAA allow?

What happen to the trainer from last year

Why did LeBlanc leave?

Why did IU wrestle SUIE twice this year?

Are the rumors true about a assistant coaching red shirts at tournaments true?

Bronx:   I don't have the answers to all your questions and even if I did, I wouldn't spew them out on a board. After reading back some of your posts, it seems to always dwell on the negatives about Goldman and staff, so nothing I could ever say would change your opinion (I'm guessing).  But one that perked my curiosity is LeBlanc.  My son hit it off good with LeBlanc during his visit. And while it was disheartening to know he left, it didn't alter our thoughts of where IU is trying to go. LeBlanc has since left another institution and headed west.  Perhaps he always wanted to go home and IU knew that?  I couldn't tell you as from what I understand neither side has ever talked negatively about the other.  I would also state that I thought my son was going to be coached by the IU coaching staff at tourneys and was disappointed when I found out that they couldn't do so.  I have been to every tourney and not once has an IU coach coached my son or any other redshirts.  I was under the impression that everything was taken care of IE Meals, Transportation, Motel, Coaching etc. to none of it being covered.  So I can attest that hasn't happened.  We have two redshirt HVY's that are on the squad, Not sure what you mean by that, and Goldman was always trying to be there, so not sure if you are onboard with that one.  Several redshirts this year could have filled the gaps, but seems to me IU is focused on bringing them along correctly rather than throwing them to the B1G wolves for the sake of having a full lineup.

Anyways, I just was trying to state the positives about the program and not focus on the negatives. It's easy to see the program isn't where we nor the coaches want it to be right now. Doesn't mean that some good things aren't happening. 

Several redshirts this year could have filled the gaps, but seems to me IU is focused on bringing them along correctly rather than throwing them to the B1G wolves for the sake of having a full lineup.

I agree, but that means there was a poor job of recruiting if there aren't any viable options in a room besides redshirts.  

I agree, but that means there was a poor job of recruiting if there aren't any viable options in a room besides redshirts.  

Not necessarily. Injuries, growth, ineligible, etc. are just a few factors that may have put the clamps on this season.  But I will agree that those are things that all B1G schools go thru.  I am looking forward to the lightweights that are coming in next season and the development of our bigs to get us respectable again.

Wish your son the best of luck, unfortunately IU staff has failed to help develop talent the last couple of years and has lost many wrestlers over the years. The error that was made in weight certification is unacceptable for a Division1 college coaching staff

While this is a discussion on the affairs of Indiana University wrestling, I think anyone associated with the program should be under scrutiny with the lack of success and results that is expected. Wrestlers aside, this has got to be one of the poorest run, fully funded D-1 programs in the US. Starting at the top with the President, Athletics director and down to the coaches involved all these years.This is not  just a one or two year situation at I.U.

IU has deep seated problems in many of their sports. Both basketball teams are having issues. Football has sucked for at least a generation. I concur that they have an organizational problem. It was exposed during the Bob Knight fiasco and has never improved.

So what does IU do to address the problems with wrestling? Or with all the other issues at others does Goldman and his staff get another pass? Even after the weight certification error this year with a new trainer

Their main wrestler this year was vocal and honest last year along with this year that he wrestles his style and not the coaches style

I really think , in the Indiana situation, that previous and current athletics directors are treading in unfamiliar waters as far as wrestling is concerned. With a poor recent history of success there isn't a lot of resources available, help, within the program to navigate thru the process of replacing a coaching staff. No excuses, and recent history I mean last 8-12 years. Over those years there were several times the athletics director could have, because of poor results on the mat. Wins and losses, conference standings, etc. But I honestly think Fred Glass is the exception here. We shall see if he truly has done his homework. I know he has indicated, so far, he is interested in the non revenue sports. I feel the Purdue program may have been in a similar situation. Morgan Burke stepped up and made a well thought out change. I can't see anything but positives from a Purdue program standpoint. Indiana the same.

I really think , in the Indiana situation, that previous and current athletics directors are treading in unfamiliar waters as far as wrestling is concerned. With a poor recent history of success there isn't a lot of resources available, help, within the program to navigate thru the process of replacing a coaching staff. No excuses, and recent history I mean last 8-12 years. Over those years there were several times the athletics director could have, because of poor results on the mat. Wins and losses, conference standings, etc. But I honestly think Fred Glass is the exception here. We shall see if he truly has done his homework. I know he has indicated, so far, he is interested in the non revenue sports. I feel the Purdue program may have been in a similar situation. Morgan Burke stepped up and made a well thought out change. I can't see anything but positives from a Purdue program standpoint. Indiana the same.

Well stated Disco

• 5 weeks later...

Matt M, are these guys safe for,another year

I don't have any inside info on that one, but I would venture to say having a national runner-up under their watch isn't going to garner any complaints from the AD.

Matt, you have defended Goldman and Simmons for a long time.

Let me ask you this, if you were the AD would you consider a national runner up who stated in the press that he did not listen to the coaches but went back and worked with his dad. As AD would you consider the weight assessment issues this year as a positive or negative. As AD would you endorse a assistant coach who punch a team member in the head which eliminated the 18 year olds ability to wrestle?

Matt, you have defended Goldman and Simmons for a long time.

Let me ask you this, if you were the AD would you consider a national runner up who stated in the press that he did not listen to the coaches but went back and worked with his dad. As AD would you consider the weight assessment issues this year as a positive or negative. As AD would you endorse a assistant coach who punch a team member in the head which eliminated the 18 year olds ability to wrestle?

. It's laughable that your distain for the coaching staff is so deep that you turn my pleas to stop ruining all college wrestling thread with your "I hate Goldman" rhetoric has become some belief that I must be some IU coach super fanboy. It's been nice for the last half of the college seasons being able to read discussion without seeing your standard Goldman hate post butting into most of the college threads. I commend you on at least sticking to a proper thread this time instead of ruining the others on this board with the IU coaching jabs. But why should I offer anything now when clearly all others comments have been ignored or misconstrued due to the blinders you clearly have on. Edited by MattM

Gentleman, just stay on the bandwagon as coaches to the program or relatives. But you both know had Dubuque left sooner IU would not have any Ny/NJ boys.

Also, did you guys endorse the IU coach who punched a wrestler