Indiana's Big Ten team competition

Bronx, what is your mother given name?  I have yet to see a post as to where you say: "this is who I am and this is what I believe"

My experience in life is that if you have an issue with someone, you talk to them about it.  Why don't you jump in the geo wagon and make a trip to IU and talk to the coaches themselves?  They may be eager to here your ideas on how to make the program better. It is obvious to me that you have a love for IU and only want the best for the program. Go talk to them. That is what any respectable man would do. And most certainly any former wrestler would do so. Because thru wrestling he/she learned valuable tools on integrity.

Jeff  

• 10 months later...

Ok......? So either nobody thinks that we have advanced this year, or every one is afraid to comment? I will start it off. First off, I think the team as a whole,is in much better condition. By that I mean they don't gas in the later stages of a match. Few exceptions.. Also I've noticed that the team, as a whole, is getting aggressive and staying on offfense the whole match. Few exceprions.... and this reflects the 1st comment, better condition.

• 2 weeks later...

They definitely are looking upward. Oliver, Skatzka, and Danishek are all going to be AA contenders for the next 3-4 years. Jackson will be a good anchor and could challenge for a title again. Pepple might surprise some folks at 133 next year, he looked pretty good making the 20 pound jump, I expect he'll be even better next year with more time to fill out and adjust. Rypel is going be great in a couple years, and I hope that Cash and Miller can be impact guys in a year or two.

Not sure if that's better development or improved recruiting, we'll see how these kids develop. Last year it was Taylor and Jackson and not much else to be hopeful for. Next year there is much more to be optimistic about.

Yea, I agree westfork. The proof will be in the pudding. On a side note, for jeffm. I did just send my 2nd(second) note to the Indiana University athletics director Fred Glass. I did send one a couple of years ago.  The first one did actually get noticed. I know that seemed real important to you from your comments. And also if that makes any difference as to weather I can make any comments, positive or negative about the state of the program.  Hopefully Mr. Glass and Dr. McRobbie has done their homework.

Awesome Disco.  That has got to feel better than just talking about it on a forum, no?   I would agree with your assessment on the conditioning aspect.  Better conditioning allows more heart to come out.  And I think IU's wrestlers for the most part did just that.  Winning several close matches in the last period.  I believe that is why we were able to creep up and take down the Gophers.  Even in our losses you had the feeling that if we just had another 30 seconds...   I was hoping to give tangible numbers in regards to wins this year vs. wins last year.  I am not certain, but it seemed as though we had more wins as a unit this season than in years past.  I tried to get those numbers off of wrestlestats but you cant go back to previous years as of now.  Anyone know where else to find them?  I would be curious as to the overall win totals year by year...     

(Attached only stats)

2015-16 - 214 wins - 198 losses, 42 major decisions, 28 tech falls, 27 falls (gave up 43 majors - 10 tech falls - 30 falls)

2014-15 - 179 wins - 200 losses, 21 major decisions, 5 tech falls, 45 falls (33 by Taylor Walsh and Luke Sheridan)(gave up 40 majors - 14 tech falls - 32 falls)

(Attached only stats)

2015-16 - 214 wins - 198 losses, 42 major decisions, 28 tech falls, 27 falls (gave up 43 majors - 10 tech falls - 30 falls)

2014-15 - 179 wins - 200 losses, 21 major decisions, 5 tech falls, 45 falls (33 by Taylor Walsh and Luke Sheridan)(gave up 40 majors - 14 tech falls - 32 falls)

Good stuff grappler119. Thanks,

Jeff, it doesn't make me feel any better, talking to the athletic department, than talking on these forums. I think these forums serve a purpose that can get more done. I think there is a certain aura of complacency with in the department, about the wrestling program. To the detriment of wrestling over all. If it were important to Fred Glass, the Indiana program being snickered at nationally every year. The changes would have already been done or at least started. Feelings aside, the wrestling community in Indiana deserves better from Indiana University.

I saw improvement in all three positions. Particularly bottom. They were just horrible on bottom for a couple years. I can see the stranglers influence on top. More guys using that jam ride, hooking ankles and elevating etc. Another subtle improvement I noticed was in hand fighting, moving guys, creating action and getting angles. Again, they were just dismal at getting a corner on guys for a long time. Luke Sheridan for example, straight on pressure and couldn't get off the tracks to save his life.