Trophy Chasing

lewdwar

No system is ever going to be perfect, but the elementary duals is working as evidenced by having 20 teams sign up.  The ISWA has done a good job by promoting these during the season and the State meet, the kids and parents like them also.  There are always folks that will take advantage of a system or weigh ins, etc.  I don't think this has changed in the 40 years I have been around wrestling.

I like the wildcards from my perspective, for me to put out a beginner kid with epilepsy at 90 and not be able to complete a match or a 3rd grade 95lb kid who just started to get pounded 7 times is not good for the kid who just started and who will soon be quitting.

Troy Patton

Matt

I have no problem with the current format if a team NEEDS kids.  I do have a problem with certain schools that are large enough to fill 2 teams, yet drop their own kids to bring in "ringers". That is not the intent of the rule. That is an injustice to those kids that pay dues to that local club, and could easily fill that spot. Our kids know when teams are assembled with kids outside of a certain district. If they want to form a allstar team & travel do that instead.

Looks to me there was a lot of editing done here from the original post. It's obvious directed towards Coach Brewer. Avon Wrestling Club wrestles off every weight class that has multiple wrestlers. If we need a wrestler at a weight class that we can't fill , we use a Wildcard just like every other team does. Avon Community Wrestlers train 365/24/7 and put in their time in the offseason like most Champions do.

• 2 weeks later...

There must be a lot of kids in the Brownsburg/Avon area with all these new move in's and cherry picked kids people keep saying you guys get......you both are being attacked at all levels of wrestling.  People can't handle others success.  Congrats to both schools for being able to make wrestling a headliner sport in their schools.  Keep up the great work #haterswillhate!

Austin, man I am at a lot of events and so are many other people who had "wildcards" If you have issues with how any of us run our programs....(we all have had a tad bit of success at the High School level) feel free to come chat

Well since having a tad bit of success at hs level has nothing to do with what I posted, I appreciate you jumping on guard and defending yourself although I never mentioned any certain program.

Most importantly I just received a message from Ron Dull of South Adams to advise that his wrestler (Maverick Summersett) who injured his arm in the match against Franklin Community yesterday at Team State underwent surgery last night and the doctors were able to properly set and align the arm and he was released to head home.

In all of these post and accusations against teams by people maybe we just need to keep in mind that these are kids and it's kids sports in the end of the day.

Congrats to all the teams that came to Team State yesterday and braved the weather to get there and to all the families that came and supported their wrestlers and teams.

Most importantly I just received a message from Ron Dull of South Adams to advise that his wrestler (Maverick Summersett) who injured his arm in the match against Franklin Community yesterday at Team State underwent surgery last night and the doctors were able to properly set and align the arm and he was released to head home.

In all of these post and accusations against teams by people maybe we just need to keep in mind that these are kids and it's kids sports in the end of the day.

Congrats to all the teams that came to Team State yesterday and braved the weather to get there and to all the families that came and supported their wrestlers and teams.

Jason,

thanks for they updates.  I was right there when this happened - that though of that could have been my kid went through my head 100's of times.  Good luck to Maverick on his recovery - hope to seem him on the mat again once he had fully recovered.  

Also thanks to all the kids, coaches and parents for attending yesterday - good luck the rest of the season.

Chris Lynch

Glad to hear the injured wrestler is doing fine.  ISWA Team State is a very long day for us coaches & our kids.  It is a long weekend for the ISWA volunteers.  Thank you guys for putting on a great tournament despite the weather curve ball. Also unbelievable how you were able to get the Parade of Champions put together in such a short amount of time. It went great. Congrats to all teams. Did I mention I need a nap?

Edited by Dwilly

Thank you to the ISWA!!! The kids had a blast. A great Hendricks County battle to end the day. Congrats to the Bulldogs. Even though there is a lot of back and forth on this board between Avon and Brownsburg, it should be known that our kids and our families are all friends. Most of the adult banter is just for laughs.

We (Avon) knew that we were a little behind of where we have been in past years. With this said, I am proud of the boys for making their 6th trip to the championship match in the 6 years history of this event. We will be very strong over the next couple years and look forward to getting better.

With this said, I truly believe that this event has boosted the level of other clubs around our state. When this thing first started a few teams of studs, ran through the field. Now... you never know who will come out on top. Every team is coming with mostly full teams, and every team has studs. Big shout out to the Penn Kingsmen. These guys were awesome yesterday. Their dual team will be near the top for many years to come. Very classy team.

During my time at the ISWA, I envisioned these duals being a great way to get more kids to wrestle (by teams wanting to get kids out to fill weight classes). I have pulled several kids off the football field to fill weight classes muself. I have heard that from other coaches also. With this said, many kids which would have never wrestled now are wrestling. This will only help build the depth for Indiana wrestling.

Again, thank you to the ISWA!!!!

BTW.... who doesn't want the first place trophy at any level????

Edited by Mattyb

Really glad to hear Maverick is on his way to recovery.  Thanks to the ISWA, teams, coaches,officials and parents for this fun event.  Our team had nothing but a positive experience with the teams we competed against. (Seymour, Avon, Warren, Madison, South Adams and Mishawaka)  Franklin Wrestling always enjoys having the wrestling community visit our schools and would like to invite everyone to return April 29-May1st for our Grizzly IronMan Tournament.  Thanks again for a great day of wrestling!

Thanks to the ISWA, Franklin Community, coaches, officials, volunteers for making an event like this happen.  We had a great time interacting with the different teams.  I believe that some of our youth and parents are now hooked on wrestling after this weekend.  There is no other sports community like wrestling.  Glad to be a part of it!

Eric,

We left our Seymour banner in the bleachers by mat 1 where we were sitting most of the day.  If someone finds it would you call me? (812) 525-7304

I fully agree with Matt's latest comments.  Our programs certainly have had a strong rivalry over the past several years.  We've lost to Avon three years in a row in the semi-finals at state and we've had our disagreements; however it never interfered with my seeing Matt, or a number of Avon wrestling families, as my friends.  Several of my sons' best friends are Avon wrestlers, and I think I can safely say there are other bburg wrestling families that share the same.  Our rivalry is good and it strengthens our county, conference, and Indiana wrestling as a whole.

On the topic of trophy chasing; my opinion is that ISWA has the right formula.  Not only do we want to grow the sport and help develop teams, but I think we want to make avenues available for the best in the state to wrestle at this tournament.  If a team has legit holes, they should be encouraged to give opportunities to some of these kids in the state.  Not only does it show respect to those individual's talent, but their participation allows for others to see them and aspire to their level of skill.

I was honored to have what I consider as several of Indiana's elite agree to fill our open spots and represent the burg on our team this year.  Last year, I was proud to have my youngest offered a spot and wrestle for another school.  Yesterday our kids mingled, sparred, and enjoyed there time with their guest teammates and built friendships and memories.  I think these kid's and parent's willingness to come wrestle with a group of kids they know little, shows a level of respect toward this tournament that we want to sustain and continue growing.  just my humble opinion.

Great job ISWA

Doug Campbell

It was a very long day yesterday and the Franklin Community folks did a fantastic job in putting this on with the adverse weather conditions adding a few wrinkles.

I was able to watch a few matches in the main gym during the pool rounds and was really impressed with the showing that Seymour put on. Kudos to that group! As Matt Brewer stated, the level of competition of this event has continued to increase and has made it pretty exciting to watch as a spectator. The semi-final round of Avon vs. Penn was a cliff-hanger!

From a Brownsburg parent/coach perspective, it was really nice to get our kids that attend different academies together (along with wrestlers who just participate in our club) as a community group to wrestle as a team. Hopefully it will foreshadow good things to come in the future. 

Great job to the men and women from ISWA who managed this event - most of us managed to refrain from bugging Louis R. regarding waivers for the 2016 FS State event, too...  ;-)

Center Grove had a great time at team state this year. The event was very well run (as always) and kudos to ISWA and Franklin for that. The pool draws obviously need to be straightened out as it is a miracle that the same 3 teams can end up in the same pool together 3-4 years in a row. With that said, there will always be things to improve on and the ISWA seems to be very open to adjusting as needed. Big congrats to Brownsburg on their win this year, and also Seymour, Penn, Westfield, Avon, Perry, and Terre Haute South as the place winners. We look forward to coming back next year and competing with all of you.

Center Grove had a great time at team state this year. The event was very well run (as always) and kudos to ISWA and Franklin for that. The pool draws obviously need to be straightened out as it is a miracle that the same 3 teams can end up in the same pool together 3-4 years in a row. With that said, there will always be things to improve on and the ISWA seems to be very open to adjusting as needed. Big congrats to Brownsburg on their win this year, and also Seymour, Penn, Westfield, Avon, Perry, and Terre Haute South as the place winners. We look forward to coming back next year and competing with all of you.

That is amazing. Due to the fact that the draw is random, it is really unlikely to happen again. With this said, I would be sure to buy a powerball ticket!!!

• 11 months later...

It does seem funny how your roster could be full but you say you need two more. I am happy to be apart of the program I am.

It would suck to be a wrestler who makes the T-Shirt but doesn't make the roster.

Im just going put this here.

In light of the recent postings on the high school board under "mid season champs"....this seems ironic. Pot meet kettle?

Here's my thinking....

You got PM people calling out Avon people for looking for kids when the roster is full for an elementary team. Implying they want "better" kids at that weight than what their program currently has and thus questioning loyalty..you with me so far?

But then on the other board you have a PM parent saying that the program is, how shall we say, not being straightforward with arguably the best wrestler in his weight class and forcing him to do something he will not allow his son to do..be unhealthy in the sport. Thus he questions the PM loyalty.

Thus pot calling the kettle black on the loyalty issue.

Again, just my opinion and seems ironic. No offense.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.