Defensive pin?

FASTMarine

Directly out of the 2014-15 NFHS Wrestling Rule book

SECTION 11 FALL, NEAR FALL & TECHNICAL FALL

ART. 1 . . . A fall occurs when any part of both shoulders or both scapula of either wrestler are in
contact with the mat for two seconds. The two seconds (one-thousand-one, one-thousand-two) shall
be a silent count and shall start only after the referee is in position to observe if a fall is imminent. A
fall is imminent when any part of both shoulders or both scapula of either wrestler are in contact with
the mat. The shoulders or scapula must be held inbounds in continuous contact with the mat. A fall
terminates wrestling.

I think there may be some added issues involving this because of the added part about the defensive guy initiating the move and the having control.  The only reason I state this opinion is because in the rules meeting a few days ago, the ref’s talked about that if bottom guy initiates the move on bottom exposing his back, than top guy has to have control for 2 seconds before counting can start.  I would assume the same goes if the bottom guy was to create a situation putting the top guy on his back.

The bottom guy does not even have to have a move in for a defensive pin to be called.  If the top guy is doing some sort of pinning combination such as a cradle or a mills roll, exposing the bottom guys back but not pinning him, the top guy can get pinned if he gets too lazy and puts both shoulders or scapula down. Even though both are on their back and the wrestler with the cradle is in complete control, he can pin himself without the help of the wreslter he is cradling.

But that is not a defensive pin, because it is not cause by the guy on defense.  Not to be too technical. I have seen one pin in my history that involved the offensive guy pinning himself and that one, I would have considered it more like a freestyle instantaneous pin, because it was caused by a roll through cradle with a slight hesitation when he crossed his back.

But that is not a defensive pin, because it is not cause by the guy on defense.  Not to be too technical. I have seen one pin in my history that involved the offensive guy pinning himself and that one, I would have considered it more like a freestyle instantaneous pin, because it was caused by a roll through cradle with a slight hesitation when he crossed his back.

Yeah you are right, but I guess going off the rule posted above it is just stated as a fall.  My point being whether it is a defensive fall, offensive fall, or self fall, whoever's shoulders are down is pinned.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.