Purdue smokes Cal Poly 30-9

http://www.purduesports.com/sports/m-wrestl/recaps/111514aaa.html

Purdue Wrestling Corrals Mustangs in Ersland's Debut

Nov. 15, 2014 SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. - Powered behind four bonus point victories, the Purdue wrestling team corralled Cal Poly, 30-9, in its season opening and first-year head coach Tony Ersland's debut Friday in the Mott Athletics Center. The Boilermakers (1-0, 0-0 B1G) received bonus points at 133, 141, 149 and 197.

"There were a lot of good things, I really like that we took the fight to them to start," Ersland said. "I think we need to do a better job of closing out matches though. We showed that we can wrestle hard, but we need confidence to finish it."

The aggressive mindset that Ersland has instilled in the Boilermaker grapplers showed. Purdue registered 16 takedowns to the Mustangs' nine and combined for 18 back points while giving up none.

"Overall I was very happy with the tone of most of the matches; guys went out and scored points and put a lot of points on the board, we just need to make sure we finish matches," Ersland said. "I think tonight should be a big confidence booster for all of these guys; first time down to weight on a one-hour weigh-in, they competed hard and I am happy with the effort. I think we should make a big jump in confidence knowing that we can hold up, wrestle hard and take control of these situations."

Purdue took five of the first six weights from the Mustangs (0-3) to build a 23-3 lead. The Mustangs won the 125-pound match in sudden victory, but the Boilermakers took over from there. A forfeit from Cal Poly at 133 gave the Old Gold & Black six points, to which Nick Lawrence followed with six of his own. The redshirt senior, who was wrestling in his first dual since Feb. 23, 2013, built on an offensive clinic with five takedowns and had a two-point nearfall before sticking Connor Kim at the 3:56 mark to improve to 4-2.

Redshirt sophomore Alex Griffin (5-2) put on a show with a 17-0 technical fall of Jacob Leon. In 4:51, Griffin took the Mustang down twice, got a pair of five-counts for two three-point nearfalls and a trio of two-point nearfalls. He also escaped to start the second period. The team's leader in points scored pushed his early season total to 67 while winning his second match via technical fall.

"I liked Griffin's aggressiveness," Ersland said. "We know that he will go out and tilt and turn and he got to his positions. You saw how he took control of the match right away."

Wrestling in the first match of his final season, Braden Atwood showed why he is the nation's ninth-ranked 197-pounder with a 12-3 major decision of J.T. Goodwin. Atwood struck for an early takedown and went to work for back points, receiving a pair of two-point nearfalls. Starting the second period from bottom, he added an escape and Goodwin back down to the mat and rode him out for the red of the period. The Mustang opted to start the final period neutral, to which Atwood took advantage of by taking him down again. He accumulated 4:52 worth of riding time for his final point.

The Boilermakers also received decisions from Doug Welch (157), Pat Robinson (165) and Patrick Kissel (184). Welch used a second period escape and two-point nearfall, plus 1:49 of riding time to shut Colt Shorts out, 4-0. Robinson's takedowns in the first and third periods and an escape lifted him to a 5-3 decision of Travis Berridge in his first match of the season. Kissel improved to 4-1 with a 12-10 come-from-behind decision over Nick Feigener.

Purdue will be back in action at the Roadrunner Open hosted by Cal State Bakersfield on Sunday in Fresno, Calif. The tournament will get underway with preliminary matches at 1 p.m. ET. The finals and medal matches are set for a 9 p.m. ET start.

PURDUE 30, CAL POLY 9

125 // Yoshito Funakoshi (Cal Poly) dec. Aaron Assad (Purdue), 5-4 (SV1)

133 // Danny Sabatello (Purdue) won by forfeit

141 // Nick Lawrence (Purdue) pinned Connor Kim (Cal Poly), 3:57

149 // Alex Griffin (Purdue) tech fall Jacob Leon (Cal Poly), 17-0 (4:51)

157 // Doug Welch (Purdue) dec. Colt Shorts (Cal Poly), 4-0

165 // Pat Robinson (Purdue) dec. Travis Berridge (Cal Poly), 5-3

174 // Dominic Kastl (Cal Poly) dec. Chad Welch (Purdue), 5-1

184 // Patrick Kissel (Purdue) dec. Nick Fiegener (Cal Poly), 12-10

197 // No. 9 Braden Atwood (Purdue) maj. dec. J.T. Goodwin (Cal Poly), 12-3

285 // Nick Johnson (Cal Poly) dec. Tyler Kral (Purdue), 7-4

I can't speak for the Guru, but based on what I saw Friday night I'd have to say that not all of the wrestlers are working the "Aggressive Always"mantra. There was a noticeable amount of stalling once a couple of the guys got a small lead. But, that was only with a couple of the guys I felt were wrestling that way. As for the rest of the guys, they looked extremely aggressive and hungry from start to finish. And also from the results of the Roadrunner Open, I'd say that they were wrestling very aggressive, based on the amount of bonus points they racked up. Excited to see if it will carry on thru the season.