Lance vs today

Jayruss

I mentioned Indiana and its progression in high school wrestling several times already.  I think the talent is off the charts right now. If Lance Ellis were wrestling today, what would he place at state, or would he even place at state?

People tend to focus on the technique and things like stance when watching videos from 20-30 years ago.  They fail to realize that what makes up a good wrestler back then is the same thing that makes a good one now. Things like work ethic, dedication, discipline, athleticism, etc. are all the qualities that guys like Ellis had that made him successful.

The only thing that has changed in the last 25 years since The Great Sir Lance Ellis stalked the mats at Market Square Arena is technology. His mentality would be the same therefore I'll bite on this topic and say he would still be a 4 timer. If he had YouTube, Flowrestling, Indianamat, Indiana Pride Wrestling Academy, Scott Ellis....4x undefeated state champion. His mentality won those titles.

All I know is that I wrestled at the same time Lance did,  and the wrestling today is way better than it was then.

I think Lance himself would admit to that.  With that said.  If you are compairing the exact wrestler Lance was then

to the guys that are wrestling today.  I give the edge to the guys today.  I you are saying if Lance was training today and

wrestling today.  He would diffinently be one of the top guys in the State.

Is that too political correct of an answer?

All I know is that I wrestled at the same time Lance did,  and the wrestling today is way better than it was then.

I think Lance himself would admit to that.  With that said.  If you are compairing the exact wrestler Lance was then

to the guys that are wrestling today.  I give the edge to the guys today.  I you are saying if Lance was training today and

wrestling today.  He would diffinently be one of the top guys in the State.

Is that too political correct of an answer?

I also wrestled during this time.  I also coach and work in a high school every day now.  The work ethic of the kids today is not the same of the generation that Lance came from, nor is his or mine the same as the studs that stepped on the mats years before us.  It is like arguing takedown records today verses 30 years ago.  Back then everything was about domination in not letting anyone score points on you.  Now domination can mean that, putting on a takedown show or other ways.  It is fun to argue about who is better, but not sure you can compare styles. If he was brought up in this era he more than likely would have wrestled a bit different.

If you are saying we worked harder than the kids today.  You must be in the wrong room!

The good kids today train 10-12 months a year.  They train against better compition.

And train better and harder than we ever did.

If you are saying we worked harder than the kids today.  You must be in the wrong room!

The good kids today train 10-12 months a year.  They train against better compition.

Kids back in the day walked to school uphill both ways, barefoot in 12 feet of snow! They didn't have video games or the Tweeter and chopped wood for conditioning.

Like I said earlier, you put Ellis, Gable, etc in this era and they would thrive just as much. What makes a good wrestler is strength, skill, dedication, determination, etc. That part of the sport will never change.

Let me correct part of my statement.  The amount of kids willing to make the sacrifice is dramatically less.  Talent and skill are better because of more opportunity than there used to be.  Like Y2CJ41 said, "You put Ellis, Gable, etc. in this era and they would thrive just as much."

Y2CJ41

From what little I've seen (on video) and heard about from people regarding Lance, I have picked up that he was somewhat ahead of the time in the use of certain techniques compared to even some of the better wrestlers of the time.  I would think that mixed in with his tenacity would still make his an extremely dangerous for some top light weights today.  I'm not saying he would go 4 years undefeated, but from what I've gathered he had the tools back then to hang with some top talent today.

I also wrestled during this time.  I also coach and work in a high school every day now.  The work ethic of the kids today is not the same of the generation that Lance came from, nor is his or mine the same as the studs that stepped on the mats years before us.  It is like arguing takedown records today verses 30 years ago.  Back then everything was about domination in not letting anyone score points on you.  Now domination can mean that, putting on a takedown show or other ways.  It is fun to argue about who is better, but not sure you can compare styles. If he was brought up in this era he more than likely would have wrestled a bit different.

Come to one of the top programs in the state or follow one of our nationally ranked kids and say that

Let me correct part of my statement.  The amount of kids willing to make the sacrifice is dramatically less.  Talent and skill are better because of more opportunity than there used to be.  Like Y2CJ41 said, "You put Ellis, Gable, etc. in this era and they would thrive just as much."

Y2CJ41

I agree with you on that.  That is why I said if they trained today they would be one of the top guys.  But I still say, if you take the exact 17 year old Lance Ellis.

And match him up against the top guy at his weight from today.   I would give the edge to the guy from today.

Man I wish I was good enough in High School to have people talking about me 25 years later.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.