2015 Darkhorses

base

Let's hear some names of kids to watch that are maybe not as well known.  Interested in some guys that may have been behind a stud on their team, battled an injury last season, or possibly put in lots of work over the summer and is ready to take a big step this year.  Let's set some criteria:

1.  Did *NOT* make it to semistate last year

2.  NOT a freshman this year

3.  You believe they can make it to semistate this year

If you know the HS / weight class please add that.  Let's see which of these pre-season predictions may become reality in Februrary

Yes, I had forgotten about Sage Coy.  Thought he was a Muncie kid, is he at Delta now?

Tyler Joseph from Portage is another talented wrestler that was doing well then didn't appear in the postseason if I recall correctly.  He could do well this year.

Dylan Shirkey from Connersville. senior. Rough first two years of high school behind studs. Last year won conference at 182 then Was injured in sectional finals. He was beating Hittle from Rushville by around 4 points going into third when injured. Unsure of the exact injury.

Love watching this kid and his friend at 170, Colton Gonzalez when we have meets with Cville.

Quinn York from Franklin at heavyweight

Not exactly a dark horse he was the HWT for Franklin last year and I think just a freshman, and by far the best underclassman Bernard wrestled other than Streck last year. Very big, strong, and agile Wes just broke him hence a 14pt victory but don't let that fool you... I see him at least to the quarterfinals at Bankers Life!!

Having coached these boys the past couple years may make me biased, but I believe that Avione Johnson (145-152) and John Stewart (170) both Juniors at TC Howe may make a big impact in the state tournament this year (more so for Johnson).

At my new school, I believe Christian Warren (145-152), a Sophomore will hit Semi-State at least after finishing 5th in the sectional, he looks ready to make a big step forward after spending a ton of time in the room this off-season.

Not exactly a dark horse he was the HWT for Franklin last year and I think just a freshman, and by far the best underclassman Bernard wrestled other than Streck last year. Very big, strong, and agile Wes just broke him hence a 14pt victory but don't let that fool you... I see him at least to the quarterfinals at Bankers Life!!

you're right Bob I also believe he could be in the 1/4 finals this year, however he did not make it to semi-state last year so by the threads criteria he is a dark horse.  He was a sophomore last year and a back up to Conner Tolley his freshman year. 

you're right Bob I also believe he could be in the 1/4 finals this year, however he did not make it to semi-state last year so by the threads criteria he is a dark horse.  He was a sophomore last year and a back up to Conner Tolley his freshman year.

Maybe it's me Loki27 if I see a kid in my mind getting to Bankers Life I can't call him a dark horse...JMO

Look for Mason Gaines from Fishers.  Mason wrestled up a weight last year above Jordan Lile.  He had a good showing at the pre season  indiana mat tournament.  Also look for Freedom Mak-Dawson.  I  do not see many Fishers wrestlers mentioned.  I know this group and they will make some noise.

I am also surprised their freshman coming in at 106 has not been mentioned.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.