Coach Balash

brickfor6

xBrick132..Think it was Beta..at any rate.. Our group that you coached(and you were a GREAT coach) cut our teeth on you Cox, and Hines along with many others in the early/mid 80's..Certainly you guys were the ones to bring Hobart wrestling up a tier. Thank You.

xBrick132..Think it was Beta..at any rate.. Our group that you coached(and you were a GREAT coach) cut our teeth on you Cox, and Hines along with many others in the early/mid 80's..Certainly you guys were the ones to bring Hobart wrestling up a tier. Thank You.

Thanks for the kind words Magnet.

• 2 weeks later...

This says all that I need to hear about Steve Balash. 3 years ago at the Lake County tournament I officiated a match between Hobart and it doesn't matter who the other team was. But there was some confusion about the score, and the match went into overtime. To make the story even better the scorer working the table was Andrew Howes dad. At the end of the overtime the Hobart wrestler won. I raised his hand and went on to the next match. Coach Balash came over to me and said the score was incorrect and that the match shouldn't have gone into overtime and his wrestler should have lost in regulation. I have worked for this gentleman for as many years as he has been in coaching, I have seen a lot and heard a lot, but have never had anyone come up to me and say I told my wrestler it was the right thing to do and he was fine with that.

I was going to notify the IHSAA and recommend him for some kind of recognition but knowing Steve it would be the last thing he would want.

I am better for being apart of that situation, we are all better for getting to work for a man of that integrity and class, I haven't been able to forget that moment and have wanted to tell him the effect that had on me.

I saw this post and it gave me the chance to share this story with Indiana wrestling fans. You are better for reading this and it sets a pretty high standard for all of the rest of you to measure up to, thanks Steve Balash for answering the question we officials ask ourselves sometimes why are we still doing this? They say we all have an effect on the kids, but you have done more than that. Thanks Steve 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.