2014-15 IHSWCA Team State Duals -- Accept/Decline Roster

New Pal probably should have been invited to the IHSWCA state instead of Carmel, Avon, Carroll, & Bloomington South. And that's all I'm going to say about that. Also I do respect the comitee and the decesions they come up with to make the choices of selection. The group of gentleman have knowledge of wrestling.

New Pal probably should have been invited to the IHSWCA state instead of Carmel, Avon, Carroll, & Bloomington South. And that's all I'm going to say about that. Also I do respect the comitee and the decesions they come up with to make the choices of selection. The group of gentleman have knowledge of wrestling.

Those teams earned automatic bids because their individuals earned more points in the qualification process during the individual state tournament series (except for Carroll, who was the automatic bid from FW semi-state but scored less points than New Pal).  The final two spots are the only ones voted on from among the next few candidates after the automatic qualifiers have earned their spots. 

Those teams earned automatic bids because their individuals earned more points in the qualification process during the individual state tournament series (except for Carroll, who was the automatic bid from FW semi-state but scored less points than New Pal).  The final two spots are the only ones voted on from among the next few candidates after the automatic qualifiers have earned their spots.

So Carmel, Carroll, BS, & Avon had more points in sec., reg., SS., and throught the state tourney than New Pal? Because Carmel, Carroll, & Avon didn't even place in the top 32 teams... I'm not being rude here, I'm just actually trying to understand the "qualification process" I thought there were only 8 a division teams last year also...? Is there more now this year? And Caroll earned an automatic bid because they won SS correct?

So Carmel, Carroll, BS, & Avon had more points in sec., reg., SS., and throught the state tourney than New Pal? Because Carmel, Carroll, & Avon didn't even place in the top 32 teams... I'm not being rude here, I'm just actually trying to understand the "qualification process" I thought there were only 8 a division teams last year also...? Is there more now this year? And Caroll earned an automatic bid because they won SS correct?

Because the event is a "year-ahead" qualification process, and because we are trying to figure out which teams will be the best DUALS teams next year (not this year), our scoring system involves individuals accumulating points in a totally different system from what you're referring to.  Especially in 3A, it's been a highly predictive method of identifying the best teams for the following season.  We've published lots of information on this site and on the IHSWCA site, but I realize we're only in our third year and there are still many who don't spend time on this site and don't realize how it works.  Here's a link to the scoring system and the qualification process document:

https://sites.google.com/site/inwrestlingcoaches/resources/teamstateselection

Maybe the venue should have been booked before making the decision to expand?

Extremely disappointing that it will likely be on two separate dates.

It's actually much less about the venue and more about the date, unfortunately.  The holidays fall very strangely this year so all holiday tournaments are being scheduled strangely.  Even now, if everyone could come on December 27 OR January 3, it could be worked out for one venue.  Also, there were more than one venue that would have hosted the event (all classes) had December 27 not been the asking date (because of being so near Christmas--which it would not be 6 years out of 7). 

It's both, but not 100% either.  I think there are a lot of factors at play and the least of all the slightly disappointing options is what is being tentatively planned.  It's a highly inconvenient schedule this season compared to the other 6 out of 7 possible calendar configurations, and it's made finding a venue much less straightforward than anticipated.  That's my only point.  I'll let others that actually have say in the matter make further comments.  I probably said too much already.  Sorry for muddying the waters.

So what is the procedure for replacing teams who decide they can't make the event because of scheduling conflicts?

Another vote by the committee? Or highest score not already included?

If the tentative plan holds, there's no one that has voiced that they won't attend.  If someone ends up opting out, it depends on the spot they were in as to whether someone will automatically fill their spot or if replacement voting needs to happen.

Thanks for the limited information usually getting information out of the IHSWCA takes a little water boarding.

No waterboarding just shoot me a email if you have questions.  I haven't been on this site since Thursday night after vote or I guess that was actually Friday morning haha.  So if anyone ever has a question please feel free to email me and I will answer it the best I can.  tysongskinner@gmail.com

What is the format for the event? Will it still be a bracket or will their be pools(3 or 4 team pools)?

The tourney directors are meeting to finalize details tonight, but most likely 4 three-team pools bracketed by seeds (i.e. #1, #8 and unseeded in pool A; #4, #5 and unseeded in pool B; etc.).  So everyone wrestles twice, then pool winners go to the semi's, second place go to the 5-8 bracket, and so on. 

So we have no format, no venue, and no date?

What I just described was published as the format from Day 1.  I think the only way there would be a format change is if all the classes can have 6-mat setups at whatever venue and there can be something devised that ensures everyone can have more matches than what had been announced with an assumed 4-mats-per-class setup.

So let me understand this like a 5 year old.  You are asking schools to accept a bid to a tournament prior to having a confirmed venue and date?  Is this the way I am reading the message board?

So let me understand this like a 5 year old.  You are asking schools to accept a bid to a tournament prior to having a confirmed venue and date?  Is this the way I am reading the message board?

We have a date set but some of the teams have expressed interest in using a different date so Coach McCormick has been exploring those options to work with the teams that have already committed to the event.  Yes the venue has been an issue as we are trying to locate the best possible situation in central Indiana but if those options expire we have other options outside of central indiana to move to.

I know this is preaching to the choir, but with the date issues we are having it shows us that we really need a solid weekend date that isn't around the holidays. Every year this will occur and even this year you are asking teams to wrestle in the Al Smith, Connersville, Mooresville, etc AND team state within about 5 days.  In all honesty, I just hope my kids come out of that week without any serious injuries.

The best physical date would be the second weekend in January. This would of course fall on the same day as many events including the Bellmont Main Event, Peru Invite, Evansville Memorial Invite, Adams Central Invite, New Pal Invite, etc. In the past I have not been a big fan of having the event on a date that would take away from other events on the same date. However, if we want this to grow we need a solid date that doesn't have to be changed every year due to the holidays and holiday tournaments.

I know this is preaching to the choir, but with the date issues we are having it shows us that we really need a solid weekend date that isn't around the holidays. Every year this will occur and even this year you are asking teams to wrestle in the Al Smith, Connersville, Mooresville, etc AND team state within about 5 days.  In all honesty, I just hope my kids come out of that week without any serious injuries.

The best physical date would be the second weekend in January. This would of course fall on the same day as many events including the Bellmont Main Event, Peru Invite, Evansville Memorial Invite, Adams Central Invite, New Pal Invite, etc. In the past I have not been a big fan of having the event on a date that would take away from other events on the same date. However, if we want this to grow we need a solid date that doesn't have to be changed every year due to the holidays and holiday tournaments.

You and I have talked about this before, so I know we're on the same page.  What I'm hoping is that we can get through the rough patches of the strange schedule configuration for this year, potentially take another step in growth next year (and be back on a regular calendar that allows 3 classes and and max attendance at a good venue not right next to Christmas).  If we're up to 40-60 schools backing out of other events at that point, I wonder if we won't be nearing the tipping point where everyone realizes we might have to sacrifice the traditional first weekend in January date that a few tourneys enjoy for the sake of designating a Team State weekend that's scheduled around by everyone.  Then the sky's the limit (i.e. 32 teams per class, big-time venue because of enormous crowd, etc.).

Even if we have to use the two sites and the annoying dates this year, I still think we're headed in the right direction because we'll still have involved 12 additional teams and--perhaps more importantly--no one will be satisfied with the logistics and we'll be inching closer to that tipping point I'm talking about.

There is no need for expansion of the event any more at this point. This year's expansion was a horrible, horrible idea especially when no venue was secured beforehand.  Bigger isn't always better when you have things like date, venue and format issues like they are currently facing right now.

We will kill this event before it gains steam if we keep expanding without answering simple logistical questions such as date and venue.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.