another Indiana high school elite wrestler flees the state

How does................

Purdue and Indiana Universities stop the year after year bleeding, losing top Indiana high school talent?

The real travesty here is this state could be a macca for wrestling fans. Keeping these kids in state would really create a good base for following these kids, in our own state. There has to be some answers, to reverse the trend. Think about the crowds that would pack the universities gyms.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The little I've got to watch Purdue is getting better with Indy kids, and I'm not a Goldman hater but Goldman needs some better assistants and more of them or needs to be gone.  Simmons will help.  And as far a Micic, NW is as close and PU as far as miles both 90 mins from cedar lake.  So it's not so much getting away from indiana in his a tshirts case.  NW is up and coming and the closest big10 school for those guys

it is evident that until IU addresses the coaching situation they will not retain in state talent or out of state talent.  The AD must be happy with status quo, because that is what he is getting.

It may be time for a culture change at IU.  You have one coach who has been there forever and another who is not a proven assistant (even if he was a great wrestler).  With the consistent bottom finishes in the big ten and lack of AA, it will be hard for in state wrestlers to not look at other schools

As the saying goes hindsight is 20/20, but with the credentials some of these elite Indiana high school wrestlers have they should be offered full rides. I mean, 9.9 scholarships is not a lot to work with in this sport, but come on take a chance on two or three of these in state guys and see if the ball starts rolling.The guys that P.U. and I.U. have starting, except for 2or 3, are no more than practice room caliber wrestlers for the majority of top 15 teams. And they would probably stick around the program any way, scholarship or not.

Offering them full rides alone isn't going to keep them in state.

Agreed.........then what would it take in addition to....which is my original statement, to get these guys to at least sniff a Purdue or Indiana offer? And get the momentum going.

Yea I think academics have to be an important factor for an athlete, especially a wrestler.They will all need to make a living eventually. But Purdue and IU, seem to have all the fields of study covered, between them. I think Purdue has a reputation 2nd to none in a few of their fields, aviation, engineering(NASA). The same with IU, optometry,music, business to a lesser extent, and medicine. So yea it has to come into the decision equation. I would think it as an asset to PU&IU., more than a liability maybe?

Indiana has had 16 All-Americans in the past 10 years with 2012 and 2013 the only years without one.

Purdue has had 7 in that same time span with none in 2007, 2008, 2011 and 2012.

Not to mention Angel winning a title and Dubuque winning two while Purdue had none.  In fact, Purdue has had a single national champion in the last 70 years (1992).

Yea I think academics have to be an important factor for an athlete, especially a wrestler.They will all need to make a living eventually. But Purdue and IU, seem to have all the fields of study covered, between them. I think Purdue has a reputation 2nd to none in a few of their fields, aviation, engineering(NASA). The same with IU, optometry,music, business to a lesser extent, and medicine. So yea it has to come into the decision equation. I would think it as an asset to PU&IU., more than a liability maybe?

I was just speaking about in regards to choosing Northwestern over IU/PU.

I was just speaking about in regards to choosing Northwestern over IU/PU.

Yea I see what you are saying, once in a while it can be the final determining factor. But every year for several years in a row seems odd. That any of the elite wrestlers would not like a course of study these fine universities have to offer. The  saying, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Yea I see what you are saying, once in a while it can be the final determining factor. But every year for several years in a row seems odd. That any of the elite wrestlers would not like a course of study these fine universities have to offer. The  saying, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Northwestern has snagged the top recruit in Indiana for the past three years.

Purdue is improving alot.  I think they lack a upper weight coach.  Coach Rogers is the biggest guy they have at maybe 170?  Tough for him to push the upper 4 weight classes in the room I would think.  I do commend both teams for taking on alot of kids from home.

As the saying goes hindsight is 20/20, but with the credentials some of these elite Indiana high school wrestlers have they should be offered full rides. I mean, 9.9 scholarships is not a lot to work with in this sport, but come on take a chance on two or three of these in state guys and see if the ball starts rolling.The guys that P.U. and I.U. have starting, except for 2or 3, are no more than practice room caliber wrestlers for the majority of top 15 teams. And they would probably stick around the program any way, scholarship or not.

Why is that not on the wrestlers then? Let's support the ones who do stay in state, and do believe they can get it done.

That's why I respect Angel; he manned up, made a decision early and got it done in-state, he didn't make hissy fits or play

recruiting games, nor did he need or try to ride on the coat-tails of others.

I think Jason Tsirstis is one who could get it done where ever he goes; he is the only in-state guy in the last 2-3 years that

I was disappointed to not see him stay in-state. 

At the same time, good luck if you want to go out of state. I don't fault guys who want a change of scenery out east or west, good luck. I do think though, there are some coaches who talk a game about the need for In-State loyalty by the universities, then pushing their Tier I guys out of state, while expecting the IU's & PU's to take their 2nd & 3rd Tier guys.

Oh yea, good point, this IS all on the wrestlers. I know all the wrestling diehards support the kids that stay here that go to Purdue and Indiana. And just imagine what kind of crowds would have accumulated in the gyms at these universities had they kept Mauer,Howe,Humphreys,Tshirts-1 and 2 and Mici and...................we can go forever because the last 6-7 years the D1 schools here have had no chance to even compete with the other BIG schools in dual competition. How do these D1 schools here parlay this talent to help them complete rosters so they don't land at competing schools.

To sum up what has been said so far,

The elite kids are leaving for the closest BIG school to their homes.NU

The last 3 years NU has gotten Tsirtsis, Sliga, Mici

Northwestern may have better academic offerings

That its nice that bopth PU&IU use alot of Indiana kids

Purdue does better with Indiana kids

Goldman needs better assistants or more assistants

Purdue is improving alot but needs a upper weight coach

We need a change of the Indiana U. coach, because of bottom conference finishes

Some of Indianas high school coaches talk of wanting to keep elite wrestlers in state, but push them to go away from Purdue and IndianaU.

We can't fault the kids if they want yo go out of state

Purdue has had 10 AA's & IU has had 16 AA's in the last 10 years

Full ride offers are not the only answer to keep these elite wrestlers in Indiana

The final D1 coaches poll is out, along with the 2nd RPI ranks.

Heres how Purdue & IU stack up.                            Disco's prediction

coaches          RPI                                % chance of AA 2014

rank              rank

HWT.      4                  2      Chalfant  IU                      60%

197        12                13      Atwood  PU                      20%

184        29                24      Sheridan IU                      0%

174                            27      Kissel PU                          0%

165        24                  19      Leblanc IU                        0%

157        8                    12      Walsh IU                        30%

141        20                  19      Sabatello PU                    20%

133        9                              Quiroga PU                        40%

Why is that not on the wrestlers then? Let's support the ones who do stay in state, and do believe they can get it done.

That's why I respect Angel; he manned up, made a decision early and got it done in-state, he didn't make hissy fits or play

recruiting games, nor did he need or try to ride on the coat-tails of others.

I think Jason Tsirstis is one who could get it done where ever he goes; he is the only in-state guy in the last 2-3 years that

I was disappointed to not see him stay in-state. 

At the same time, good luck if you want to go out of state. I don't fault guys who want a change of scenery out east or west, good luck. I do think though, there are some coaches who talk a game about the need for In-State loyalty by the universities, then pushing their Tier I guys out of state, while expecting the IU's & PU's to take their 2nd & 3rd Tier guys.

It's ultimately coaching and development draws IMO. Practice partners also play a big role in the equation, which are also affected by coaches. Unless there are coaches who these blue chip athletes believe can continue to develop them at the next level, why would they ever attend IU or PU? Without DuBuque, there is no Hoosier Escobedo. Without Mena, there is no Hoosier DuBuque.

I think it's been great to get Fleeger back at PU and I think it would make a big difference if they'd replace Rogers with a top tier Senior level upper weight. Bryce Hasseman would've been an OK choice.

Guru I agree that the practice room atmosphere, is one of the, and maybe THE most important aspect of total team development. By that I mean there has to be 197lber pushing Atwood,a heavy pushing Chalfant, and so on down the line. You hit the nail on the head with the 125lber's Indiana had. So.......Goldman needs to start with assistants first? Then Elite guys will stay in state? Or offer Full rides to the state elite, and then the assistants will come? This is where I don't think IU & PU are getting it done. I mean is this something a high profile , young coach could get turned around? get the ball rolling in the right direction? I just see a massive amount of wrestling fans in this state that really have no team to get behind. Sure we always root for our own kids at other universities, just like football or b-ball players that go out of state. but its not the same as rooting for an in state high school wrestler that stays at IU or PU. Can you imagine the pact gyms at IU OR PU, if the  three guys that Northwestern got stayed here at one school?

It starts with the head coach and staff.  Good coaches will figure out how to connect with the wrestlers and develop their style along with adding the coaches style on a wrestlers weakest points.  Until these institutions show that they can do that it will be hard to keep kids in state.  If the coaching philosophy and room was so fluid would have LeBlanc left at the start of the season