6. Zach Neibert, Virginia Tech  (#9)                                 

7. Tyler Graff, Wisconsin (#5)

8. Evan Henderson, North Carolina (#6)

9. Jason Tsirtsis, Northwestern, Unattached

10. CJ Cobb, Penn (#16)

11. Camryn Jackson, Michigan

12. Luke Goettl, Iowa State

Other Contenders:

Tyler Small, Kent State, Unattached (#17)

Luke Vaith, Hofstra (#15)

• 2 weeks later...

Help me understand college wrestling a little bit.  Why is Jason Tsirtsis wrestling unattached and not varsity for NW?  He finished 7th at the Midlands but from what I can tell those are his only three losses of the season.  The varsity 141 pounders are .500 wrestlers.  Is it as simple as him losing wrestle-offs? 

Help me understand college wrestling a little bit.  Why is Jason Tsirtsis wrestling unattached and not varsity for NW?  He finished 7th at the Midlands but from what I can tell those are his only three losses of the season.  The varsity 141 pounders are .500 wrestlers.  Is it as simple as him losing wrestle-offs? 

Jason is in his Redshirt year at Northwestern.  My understanding is that is allowed to wrestle at any open tournament events through the year, but must be listed at unattached in order to keep this Redshirt status.  While he is more than likely the best guy around 141 they have in the room the decision was made to allow him the additional year of preparation (wrestling, school, etc.) before putting him in the varsity lineup.  It is also worth noting that Jason just came off of surgery this summer and they may not have known at that point if he would be 100% ready to enter the season this year.  Plus the coaches have to look at the overall picture of what may be worth sacrificing this year (redshirting top kids) in order to have possibly an even stronger overall lineup next season.   

You will see a similar example with how Oklahoma is handling the situation with Howe's transfer.

Jason is in his Redshirt year at Northwestern.  My understanding is that is allowed to wrestle at any open tournament events through the year, but must be listed at unattached in order to keep this Redshirt status.  While he is more than likely the best guy around 141 they have in the room the decision was made to allow him the additional year of preparation (wrestling, school, etc.) before putting him in the varsity lineup.  It is also worth noting that Jason just came off of surgery this summer and they may not have known at that point if he would be 100% ready to enter the season this year.  Plus the coaches have to look at the overall picture of what may be worth sacrificing this year (redshirting top kids) in order to have possibly an even stronger overall lineup next season.   

You will see a similar example with how Oklahoma is handling the situation with Howe's transfer.

Exactly - he looked pretty good at the Midlands, losing a close match to the returning NCAA champ, and then dropped two matches in the wrestle back placement rounds.  If he wrestles 141 next year, I think he will be in the hunt for a title and be ranked in the Top 5 to start the year.