High School & Middle School Women Wrestlers - Call Them Out!!

strub1

Women wrestlers in Indiana have an uphill battle in Middle School and especially High School as their male counterparts start to mature.

I want everyone to find any women wrestlers and post them HERE!!  Name, School, and Weight Class.

So, we can bring them in and show them what's possible on a state, collegiate, national, and international level in Women's Wrestling.  We all want them all to stick with the sport and give them every opportunity to succeed.

• 2 months later...

So I am a first year head coach for a middle school and I have 3 girls that have come out to wrestle.  Honestly I don't know what to do.  I am going to let them wrestle, but what should I prepare for with girls, how should I approach it with the rest of the team as well as the parents.  And what about their uniforms and weign-ins.  Any and all help is going to be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Treat them as any other wrestler.  They will need hair covers.  The ones that go over their hair and under the headgear tend to come off really easily.  The ones that go over the headgear and attach through the straps stay on much better.  Under Armor type shirts are good for under singlets, the high cut sleeve are the best type.  They should have goals to wrestle against other women in women's only tournaments.  There are two ISWA women's state tourneys (2/3, 5/5) and another Open women's only tourney at East Central on 3/3.  I would suggest having them go to the 2/3 tourney and get information and an education for women's wrestling.  As far as weigh-ins, they need to have a women trainer or parent weigh them in usually after all of the boys go, but sometimes beforehand.  Let me know if you have anymore questions and you, them, or their parents can contact me at iswawmnsdirector@aol.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I whole heatedly agree with you my good man. Indiana is way behind all three bordering states. Michigan, Illinois, and Ohio have a pretty good foundation already started. We are going to have to step it up to catch them. But I have no doubts we are up for the challenge. I have been working hard with Brent Harvey out of Michigan to bring a War of the Roses here to Indiana, and it's finally going to happen November 5, 2016 at New Palestine High school. Information will be posted soon. Thanks for your sincere commitment to Indiana wrestling and its youth. I can be reached anytime day or night at (317)201-8700 if you have any questions. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Y2CJ41 unpinned this topic