jarred brooks

meto

I heard he's planning on doing the Ultimate Fighter.

As mentioned in the Indiana Tech thread it maybe he's not listed due to a redshirt year or possibly he will need a year before being eligible for the team.  I know he's into MMA too, and  he could choose to always go the fight route over a college wrestling career.  However, we will not be seeing him on the Ultimate Fighter anytime in the next few years due to their current application requirements.

What are the qualifications for being asked onto that show?

Among other criteria the UFC requires to be considered during their open casting call for TUF is that a fighter must be at least 21 years old and have at least 3 professional fights.  Jarred is only 19 and I believe has not made his Pro debut yet.  He is something like 7-0 as an Amateur though.

Among other criteria the UFC requires to be considered during their open casting call for TUF is that a fighter must be at least 21 years old and have at least 3 professional fights.  Jarred is only 19 and I believe has not made his Pro debut yet.  He is something like 7-0 as an Amateur though.

Yeah, kinda figured you didn't just call up Dana White and say "hey, I was a fairly nationally decorated h.s. wrestler and I've got fewer than 10 amatuer MMA bouts under my belt, let me on TUF."  The Brooks I'm most interested in this season is Justin.  After 3 yrs in a B-10 wrestling room and plenty of varsity experience (I imagine he lettered last season at IU) I believe he has more than a legitimate shot to win a NAIA title this year at Tech.

Yeah, kinda figured you didn't just call up Dana White and say "hey, I was a fairly nationally decorated h.s. wrestler and I've got fewer than 10 amatuer MMA bouts under my belt, let me on TUF."  The Brooks I'm most interested in this season is Justin.  After 3 yrs in a B-10 wrestling room and plenty of varsity experience (I imagine he lettered last season at IU) I believe he has more than a legitimate shot to win a NAIA title this year at Tech.

You are underestimating the level of wrestling at the NAIA level.  Just because you are a former Big 10 wrestler doesn't mean it will be a cakewalk to an NAIA title.  The NAIA has many very talented wrestlers that chose that division for various reasons and it will be a battle for anyone to earn All-American status.  D1 transfers tend to do well at the NAIA level, but are never automatic bids to be in the finals or even win the whole thing.

With that said Justin is a great addition to the lineup and will do very well this year.  One cool thing is if Jarred makes his way to Tech they both could be in the line-up and both compete at nationals...at the SAME weight.  It would be quite interesting to see two brothers in the same bracket.

You are underestimating the level of wrestling at the NAIA level.  Just because you are a former Big 10 wrestler doesn't mean it will be a cakewalk to an NAIA title.  The NAIA has many very talented wrestlers that chose that division for various reasons and it will be a battle for anyone to earn All-American status.  D1 transfers tend to do well at the NAIA level, but are never automatic bids to be in the finals or even win the whole thing.

With that said Justin is a great addition to the lineup and will do very well this year.  One cool thing is if Jarred makes his way to Tech they both could be in the line-up and both compete at nationals...at the SAME weight.  It would be quite interesting to see two brothers in the same bracket.

Easy Mr. Findlay ;), I didn't say it would be a cake walk, I said he has a more than a legit shot to win a title. I respect any collegiate wrestler's abilities.

NAIA is wierd the range of talents is much broader in my opinion...the top 8 are usually able to compete with just about anyone. The NAIA eligibilty rules are much more relaxed compared to the NCAA when it comes to academics so a lot of  eliete wrestlers who have issues academically tend to wrestle (and do very well) at that level. For the record I'm not implying that NAIA competiors are dumb. Some just dont do as well academically as others and choose NAIA to continue thier wrestling and academic career. I know Notre Dame College had a bunch of kids who were lights out but  just didnt have the grades to get in to OSU.

I could not be more pleased to see my kids pick UIndy. The program is full of very talented wrestlers along with just good kids. The staff is more then just great coaches they are father figures to these kids. I speak only from my family ( I am pretty sure most parents feel the same way as we do ) but Coach Warthem and his crew are top notch individuals. First, get your education. College is supposed to be a good experience, not something you dread.   

Just having Justin Brooks in that room has to be a huge plus to their program and if Jarred ends up there is just another huge benefit.  Just from an outsider looking in those two boys are packed full of energy and enthusiasm and from what I have witnessed are always trying to help each other as well as everyone around them.  It is really neat when you see brothers work so well together especially when there are a few years between them.  I have seen that watching Neal Molloy working with his little brother Elliott at every break between rounds at every match or tournament that I have been to here in Hendricks Co.  I have seen that with the Kieffer brothers and the Ellis brothers as well.  Cool to see them always trying to help each other and the younger kids out.  We have seen that with the Tsirtsis,Todd, McGinley and Harvey boys as well.  Most older brothers go on and do their own thing but there seems to be something different about wrestling families.

NAIA is wierd the range of talents is much broader in my opinion...the top 8 are usually able to compete with just about anyone. The NAIA eligibilty rules are much more relaxed compared to the NCAA when it comes to academics so a lot of  eliete wrestlers who have issues academically tend to wrestle (and do very well) at that level. For the record I'm not implying that NAIA competiors are dumb. Some just dont do as well academically as others and choose NAIA to continue thier wrestling and academic career. I know Notre Dame College had a bunch of kids who were lights out but  just didnt have the grades to get in to OSU.

Fabio, I am not sure I would say the NAIA eligibility is more relaxed by any means. As a matter of fact, it is likely just the opposite. Two examples stick out in my head:

1) The NCAA bases their eligibility on a sliding scale. The NAIA does not. You must meet 2 of 3 requirements: 2.0 GPA, 18 ACT (or 860 SAT on math and verbal only), and/or top 50% of your class.

2) The NCAA takes your TOP score from the SAT. If you take the test 5x, the NCAA takes your top math, verbal, and reading score from each individual test. Therefore if you took the SAT in August and scored a math-600, reading 750 and then you took it again in Sept. and scored math-700, reading 700 then your NCAA SAT would be a 1450. If you were becoming NAIA eligible then your SAT score would only be a 1400. The NAIA takes the complete score from each individual test. I had a kid this year that had a 920 on his SAT via the NCAA, but his NAIA SAT was only an 860. That made him barely eligible. An 860 is equivalent to an 18 ACT, where as the 920 is equivalent to a 19 ACT.

Cadet I am by no means an expert. Im under that impression from what I have been told by those Notre Dame wrestlers. Im not 100% sure if they meant to get in or stay eligible. I just know that Notre Dame was lights out and when asked why they didnt go D1 it was a lot to do with not wanting to go to a Jr college for a year to improve grades. How much truth thre is to that I don't know. Either way its not a bash on the NAIA programs The more wrestling available the better and anything that helps motivate a kid to goto college and have a chance at a degree is good to me.

Regarding eligibilty.. this seems correct to be eligible as a freshman 1) The NCAA bases their eligibility on a sliding scale. The NAIA does not. You must meet 2 of 3 requirements: 2.0 GPA, 18 ACT (or 860 SAT on math and verbal only), and/or top 50% of your class.

2) The NCAA takes your TOP score from the SAT. If you take the test 5x, the NCAA takes your top math, verbal, and reading score from each individual test. Therefore if you took the SAT in August and scored a math-600, reading 750 and then you took it again in Sept. and scored math-700, reading 700 then your NCAA SAT would be a 1450. If you were becoming NAIA eligible then your SAT score would only be a 1400. The NAIA takes the complete score from each individual test. I had a kid this year that had a 920 on his SAT via the NCAA, but his NAIA SAT was only an 860. That made him barely eligible. An 860 is equivalent to an 18 ACT, where as the 920 is equivalent to a 19 ACT.

As far as staying eligible you need to have at least a 2.0 GPA and complete 24 credits in your last 2 semesters and unlike the NCAA it rewards student athletes for getting good grades..  For example if you have above a 3.3 GPA only half of your scholarship money counts against your progrqam and if you have above a 3.6 your scholarship does not count at all against the program.  This is how it was at the college I attended I would assume its the same for all NAIA schools. Also, I would assume that most schools do the drug testing on their own although it is not ran directly by the NAIA.

The NAIA does not mandate drug testing. That is a school by school basis.

As far as the countable aid...you must understand that it is more than just your athletic scholarship that is included in countable aid. The NAIA allows a maximum of 8 scholarships on your "varsity" roster. ANY aid that the school provides to you (including academic, athletic, we have "Phoenix" scholarships, etc.) counts in this 8 maximum. We must be careful on how much we offer kids because we have to take into account any other aid that is given by the school that isn't athletic based. Of course I have the money to give kids close to full-rides, but I can't do that because I would be exceeding the limits set forth by the NAIA.

Therefore if I have a kid that I am giving $10,000 athletic to and he is on $8000 academic then all $18000 counts towards my maximum I can issue out at the varsity level. If he has above a 3.3 as a returner then only $9000 of that counts towards my 8 total scholarships.

I'm sure that there has been lots of changes over the last 13 years but I attended an NAIA school. I had a gpa below 2.0 after my first semester and was eligible.

Eligibility:

Incoming freshman: meet 2 of 3 - 18 ACT, 2.0 GPA, top 50% of high school graduating class

2nd term freshman: 9 hours earned during previous term

2nd season: 24 semester hours

3rd season: 48 semester hours with cumulative 2.0 GPA

4th season: 72 semester hours with cumulative 2.0 GPA

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.