Ben Askren comments

Smooth34

I guess this could go in the  International Wrestling section also.  Ben Askren was asked why he didn't continue pursuing an Olympic gold medal.  His response:

?Freestyle is not my cup of tea,? Askren admits. He cites rule changes: Push-out points are ?a joke? that reward inferior wrestlers for ?getting lucky,? winning individual periods neutralizes his phenomenal conditioning and grinding style, and removing forced partier position makes it more difficult for Askren ? who holds the NCAA single-season pins record ? to wrestle from the top position. ?Everything I was good at they kind of took away,? Askren said. ?But you?ve got to go with what life gives you.?

He didn't really mention that his rolling funk style would end up costing him many point and he mostly had to change his approach to wrestling to continue with Freestyle.  Those other items may have been a factor, but to me without the funk to get out of tight situations Askren loses some of his best scoring chances against top guys.  You can pull off some more funk in MMA and Ben has adapted to some of the BBJ moves well.  Striking on the other hand is still a work in progress for him.  Plus, getting married and trying to makes ends meet probably adds to the decision some too.

• 4 months later...

Push out points are'nt a valid point to stop pursuing Freestly wrestling although it is his personal choice and hopefully he will accel in MMA. I wish the best for any wrestling choosing to compete in MMA as it will help bring more attention onto the sport of wrestling. A wrestler as successful as Akren should have enough mat awareness to not be in dabger of being pushed out. I do think as already said his rolling style and funk/catch wrestling would not be as effective in frreestyle as it is in folkstyle.