8th Graders wrestling in HS Yes or No?

MCKAJC

Here is a little revese logic for you. You say an 8th grader should be able to compete at the high school level because he is better than other 8th graders. I say no. How about a high school kid dropping down to the middle school level because he would do much better there. Your answer would be no, he is in High School. You would be right in saying that. He belongs competing at the high school level and  the middle schooler needs to compete at the middle school level. They will get there soon enough...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a little revese logic for you. You say an 8th grader should be able to compete at the high school level because he is better than other 8th graders. I say no. How about a high school kid dropping down to the middle school level because he would do much better there. Your answer would be no, he is in High School. You would be right in saying that. He belongs competing at the high school level and  the middle schooler needs to compete at the middle school level. They will get there soon enough...

Really???? That's kind of like, if girls can play little league baseball why can't boys play girls softball? OR... if girls can wrestle in boys wrestling why can't boys wrestle in girls events. It is reverse, not to sure about the logic though. I can understand your point of view. But, my goal is always to try and think out of the box as far as training and development, the most difficult part isn't coming up with new ideas, it's trying to change old ways. Not that they aren't fine ways, but training and development in any sport should be an evolutionary process in order to improve. This idea of," just do it the way it's always been done", is more than a little frustrating. I do though understand the "if it aint broke don't fix it" mentality as well.  Just my opinion.

" just do it the way it's always been done"

Isn't that the IHSAA's motto?  ;D

There are certain issues the IHSAA won't budge on at all.  (Classing example deleted to avoid taking over this topic)  I'd suspect that allowing junior high students to compete in high school would be one of those issues.  It won't happen until the IHSAA completely changes its fundamental philosophies.  Argue on here all you want, but even if you were to give the best argument in the world, the IHSAA won't listen to it.  It's just a group of administrators, most with absolutely no background or involvement in wrestling, who are making all the decisions for our sport in Indiana based on their own agenda (money and public image).

That's a bit harsh, though, because the IHSAA does do some incredible things with organizing and promoting their own events.  If the IHSAA says they're going to do something, then they definitely make it happen.  They are very fortunate to have a great deal of resources along with the fact that if a school wants to participate, then they have to do what the IHSAA says.  They really do have the most power and authority of any sports organization in our state.

no

if 8th graders are being used as fillers for small schools or ones that lack participation it opens the same question for other sports.  do you do this for football, track, or other teams failing to fill a roster.

yes there is always that super stud kid who may win as a freshman but how often does that happen?  does this also reflect that the upper class wrestlers in indiana aren't up to par?

Really???? That's kind of like, if girls can play little league baseball why can't boys play girls softball? OR... if girls can wrestle in boys wrestling why can't boys wrestle in girls events. It is reverse, not to sure about the logic though. I can understand your point of view. But, my goal is always to try and think out of the box as far as training and development, the most difficult part isn't coming up with new ideas, it's trying to change old ways. Not that they aren't fine ways, but training and development in any sport should be an evolutionary process in order to improve. This idea of," just do it the way it's always been done", is more than a little frustrating. I do though understand the "if it aint broke don't fix it" mentality as well.  Just my opinion.

If there was girl wrestling teams then girls wouldn't be wrestling against boys. Texas has girls wrestling and I don't think any of those girls can be on the guys team they have to be on the girls team. All the other states don't have girls wrestling that's why they have to be aloud to wrestle on the boys teams. I've never seen a little league baseball team that had a girl on it while that town had a soft ball league. With that being said if Indiana didn't have middle school wrestling then middle schoolers would be aloud to have wrestling... I don't think every school in Kentucky has middle school teams that's why they let 7th and 8th graders wrestle high school.

My opinion and a buck will get you a coke but here it is.

Girls do not belong competing with boys either. I believe that any state that allows middle school kids to compete at the high school level are wrong. I also believe that if the IHSAA were to allow this they would have to allow all sports not just wrestling. If they did not, they would be open to possible descrimination law suits.

So is your objective here to have a conversation or to get your son onto the high school team? If it's the second one, here isn't the place to make it happen...

So is your objective here to have a conversation or to get your son onto the high school team? If it's the second one, here isn't the place to make it happen...

Yes, I do have a personal interest. My boys aren't young(6th and 7th grade)enough to benefit given the time frame that would be involved to make such a change. I put this post up to generate some action on the board. Since you've brought it up though, I'm absolutely sure both of my kids could compete at the HS level as 8th graders and do very well. But I still think the #1 benefit would be competing against the older kids. Just like advanced placement in academics.

Several states currently allow middle schoolers to wrestle the High School season. i.e. Min. Ok. Iowa...

The coaches I've talked to worry about Programs filling out their team with Middle School wrestlers that aren't ready to compete at that level. In my opinion a valid concern.

How about this:

1. Set a cut off date just after the state finals for paper work(petition) to be submitted.

2. Create a set of rules and standards to govern the process and make it fair to all.

3. The IHSSA reviews each case on it's own merit and approves or rejects the petition based on rules governing the process. (This would keep coaches from using 8th graders that are not prepared, to "fill out" their rosters).

If, in the opinion of the IHSSA the kid has the experience behind him and is prepared for the challenge(not undersized and academic standards are met),they are approved to wrestle.This would be a huge development advantage for our state.

Yes or No???

Here's the thing how do you know for a fact the IHSAA is going to know which kids are ready. Just cause a kid has wrestled 8-10 years by their 8th grade year doesn't mean that they're ready physically. The only use way would be for the IHSAA to take a look at every one that apply's in person. The only way it may actually work is if you make an age requiremeant that any 8th grader that wrestles in high school must be 14 before the season starts and have ... lets say 5 or more years experience and you can PROVE that they have the experience which may be the hard part.

Yes, I do have a personal interest. My boys aren't young(6th and 7th grade)enough to benefit given the time frame that would be involved to make such a change. I put this post up to generate some action on the board. Since you've brought it up though, I'm absolutely sure both of my kids could compete at the HS level as 8th graders and do very well. But I still think the #1 benefit would be competing against the older kids. Just like advanced placement in academics.

If you compare this to advanced placement in academics 9th graders that aren't ready should be able to wrestle middle school because not only does academics have advanced placement they have remedial classes to (maybe not all schools) which is the same concept.

Its pointless, majority are against it expecially in a single class state. I dont believe anyone would benefit from doing this here.

Knetucky is single class and does it... but they're no where near our level as a whole. But they do send 32 to state in each weight class out of under 100 teams. This might be their form of class wrestling.

Contact the IHSAA and voice your concerns.

If a kid would advance academically to the next grade, the problem would be solved.

I'm cool with 8th graders practicing with the high school teams so they are prepared for when they get to high school and that could help them out a lot.

8th graders attending practice and getting some mat time with high schools is a good idea. 

How about give student/athletes 4 years of eligibility only (no redshirts, medical or otherwise).  If they choose to burn a year as an 8th grader, so be it.  But they will have to sit one of their years in high school. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.