Chris Lytle Weighs State Senate Run

The Guru

http://mmajunkie.com/news/24398/ufc-vet-chris-lytle-flirting-with-potential-indiana-state-house-run.mma

Chris Lytle may be adding a new duty to his lengthy list of jobs.

The father, firefighter and veteran UFC competitor today announced a possible run at state office in 2012.

Lytle, a resident of New Palestine near Indianapolis in Indiana, has formed an exploratory committee ahead of a possible State Senate run in District 28 or a State House run in District 53.

Lytle, who would run as a Republican, is a native Indianian who graduated with a bachelor's degree from Indiana University in 1997.

"I'm thinking about running because I feel we need new faces in there with the right intentions," the 36-year-old Lytle stated. "My main concern is helping make Indiana a good economic environment for us and our children. I want to see if a normal blue-collar worker can make a difference."

Lytle, in fact, has mentioned the possibility of politics in the past. He discussed the potential run during a Q&A session this past month prior to UFC on Versus 4 weigh-ins and said he'd love to retire from combat sports and begin a career in politics, specifically in his home state.

A married father of four, Lytle made his pro MMA debut in 1999 and launched a pro-boxing career a few years later, though he wrapped his boxing career with a 13-1-1 record in 2005. Lytle (30-18-5 MMA, 9-10 UFC) makes his 20th UFC appearance next month when he meets Dan Hardy in the main event of UFC on Versus 5.

Lytle had strung together a four-fight win streak with victories over Kevin Burns, Brian Foster, Matt Brown and ex-champ Matt Serra. But back in February, he was upset by little-known (but underrated) veteran Brian Ebersole at UFC 127 while prompted rumors of a potential MMA retirement.