Any possibility of developing a ISWA Dual Tourmanent?

MattM

If we like it or not it seems that the IHSAA team dual tournament will be removed after this coming season.  While the IHSWCA is working on some alternative plans for their own version of this event I was thinking maybe we could have another type of dual tournament at some point.  

Is it possibility with the current way age divisions are split to incorporate incoming freshman through outgoing seniors?  This would be the easiest way to get enough participation at the HS level.  If not obviously we would have to leave out the incoming freshman since they wouldn't qualify for the junior division which all other ages could.  Depending on when it would occur this could be a great preparation for events like the Disney Duals or just a end of summer team builder right before school starts.  Though some national freestyle events are occurring it may be more realistic to organize this around folkstyle if it would help prep for Disney Duals or the next high school season.  Plus may help encourage some coaches to get their kids to participate in it.

At first there would probably need to be just a one  then maybe a two day event.  I'm guessing we wouldn't have most of the teams participate, but could build to have a decent number where every team gets several matches.  However, after that their may be a way to divide up the competition into a few groups based.  Obviously some would like to see a competition based on school size.  But participation for the small division may be hurt by other summer activities and I'm not sure how much you could connect it with the actual high school under the IHSAA rules.  However, we could eventually divide the divisions by some type of talent level sort of like Disney Duals tries to do with two district divisions (basically a large school/talented varsity and a small school/inexperienced varsity/JV group) and even a mixed All-Star division.

I wouldn't think this would need to be a rival system to show the IHSAA we know who the true Team Champions.  But it could be a way to keep the wrestlers active, get them energized for the high school season, and provide a good team bonding experience.  

Yeah I noticed they had a few. Most of HYWA is currently located in far north of state.  Was trying to figure out a way to incorporate most of state into something they could easily jump into. HYWA is growing but by sure now long there timeline is for taking a larger role in central and southern Indiana more coaches comfortable with it. But hey if HYWA want to try and start this type of event Im all for it.  Just think it's could be a good option to add.

Anyone know how you can become listed as a Hyway Club?

They have a club and wrestler registration process similar to other organizations like USA Wrestling. Information should still be listed on there website.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.