Matt Hughes is back

Penguin145

Matt Hughes is going to take on Diego Sanchez in the Fall this year. It was being rumored and now it is truth. Personally, Matt Hughes is my favorite fighter and I am glad to see him step back in the cage after that quick loss suffered. I think Matt has better wrestling, cardio, and stand up than Diego, itll be a good fight

http://www.fighters.com/04/29/diego-sanchez-vs-matt-hughes-on-tap-for-fall-ufc-event

Diego looked chunky in his last fight after moving up in weight.  I would hope he would turn more of that into muscle if he is planning on staying in that division.

It's been a few years since Matts really put together a seires of wins against some tough competition.  I'd look for him to be ready for this fight if he is planning on sticking around the UFC for awhile longer.

It's been a few years since Matts really put together a seires of wins against some tough competition.  I'd look for him to be ready for this fight if he is planning on sticking around the UFC for awhile longer.

He beat Renzo pretty good then he beat Almieda with a good submission, pretty solid wins. He also beat Serra at UFC 98.

He beat Renzo pretty good then he beat Almieda with a good submission, pretty solid wins. He also beat Serra at UFC 98.

Penguin yes he has a few wins but they are more like build your confidence fights than legit fighters.  Sanchez will be his first serious test to prove if he's still has a place as a name in that division since they gave him the Alves fight.

Renzo is like 44 and hasn't has a solid win in awhile.  An aged Shamrock and Miletich and an out of touch Newton don't count as "solid".

Almieda has had a few decent wins but nothing that really put him over as legit figure.  The Hughes fight was his biggest one to day.

Serra while he did get the punching TKO over GSP (which GSP soon fixed).  The has mostly be a flash in the pan after that.  He wanted to prove to everyone he still deserved a shot in the UFC.  He did that and mostly hasn't had the same fire to prove himself since.

So yes Hughes has had some wins, but her hasn't really established himself as being more than a short term investments to the UFC since he lost the Alves fight.  I hope he can prepare for the fight and beat a legit opponent like Sanchez so he can prove his worth to the UFC.  But in their eyes he not a serious title contender any longer and time is not on his side as far as being a gatekeeper for fighters hoping to make it into the top ranks.  

I wasnt saying he was in contention for a title shot, i was sayign he still had some life in him left. I know he isnt going to be facing GSP for a title. I think he just still wants to fight. For his age, and his record, those wins were good wins. He has had over 50 fights, he is very strong to still be fighting today. Yes, he really needs to work hard to be able to beat Deigo. His last fights were agaisnt older guys, now he has a younger faster Diego. It will be a fun fight to watch. He doesnt need to prove his worth I dont think, he was the most dominant welterweight of all time and arguably one of the best ever in the UFC, he still has the desire to fight, nothing more.