New weights are in.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the figure four rule and inbounds change.  Always thought it was funny how you couldn't figure four body but you could the head.

agreed...also takes away the confusion of "can you scissor or figure four the head, I always forget which ones legal" lol. Heard that one thousands of times.

Really like the inbounds rule.....

the weights seem to be the ones that have been discussed in recent years...  i wonder though with the increase in weight if there is still any reason for a growth allowance in January.

Indiana will have to officially approve it, but usually that is just a formality.

Does anyone know when the IHSAA votes on whether or not to adopt the rules?

Another significant change was made in Rule 2-1-3, which now makes the boundary line inbounds and, thus, expands the wrestling area.

A whole 2 inches isn't really a revolutionaly chyange in the boundary lines other than a small percentage of pin calls. 

If they wanted to really adjust the boundaries in a significant way make it more like the college out of bounds takedown rules.  Not going to solve all of the problem of wrestlers riding the line, but it would help.   

Heck I'm all for a step out rule being put in place in Folkstyle as long as a warning or two occurs first as to prevent any acidental steps outs by the offensive wrestlers during a scamble.

A whole 2 inches isn't really a revolutionaly chyange in the boundary lines other than a small percentage of pin calls. 

I have seen a lot of takedowns not called because a toe or foot was on the line...  These were proper calls, but very inportant calls.  I think this rule will benefit the aggressive wrestler and will have a bigger impact than what many think....

Coach,  Did you not have Cooper, Tasseff and Richards all on the same team at one time?

Does it really matter what a coach had for a season or two?  Pretty sure the concensus out there is it's really not a good thing to add an upper weight at the expense of a middle weight like 135.  But I'm sure there are plenty of statistics and numbers that can be massaged and manipulated to make it look like this is really going to give sooooo many more kids an opportunity to wrestle. 

Pretty sure the concensus out there is it's really not a good thing to add an upper weight at the expense of a middle weight like 135.  But I'm sure there are plenty of statistics and numbers that can be massaged and manipulated to make it look like this is really going to give sooooo many more kids an opportunity to wrestle. 

?The change in weight classes resulted from a three-to-four year process utilizing data from the National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) Optimal Performance Calculator,? said Dale Pleimann, chair of the NFHS Wrestling Rules Committee and former assistant executive director of the Missouri State High School Activities Association. ?The rules committee was able to analyze data from almost 200,000 wrestlers across the country, with the goal to create weight classes that have approximately seven percent of the wrestlers in each weight class.

?Throughout the process, each state association was kept completely informed and was provided multiple opportunities for input. The results of the last survey of each state association indicated that the majority of states favored a change, and the committee listened and acted accordingly.?

As per usual, your logic is iron clad. 

The only reason the weight classes are going up is Americans are overweight. Being overweight is becoming okay even in wrestling. Wrestling has always been a place for smaller athletes to succeed. Just looking at weigh ins is too simplistic. The percentage of high school athletes over 190 pounds that aren't overweight is tiny. Why encourage more overweight athletes?  Shouldn't we at least demand that wrestlers are in shape?

I really like the addition of the 195 LBS class. Gives guys that walk around at 200-205 an easier cut then dropping to 89' and/ or having 2 wrestle up to 220. I think 195 will be a very tough weight class, pretty much 189 with more Muscle! Excited to see who goes where next year should b very interestling!

This seems like a backwards decision. Every Freestyle tournament that I have been to seems to have alot bigger brackets at the 125-160 range. Even when it is time to match up JV guys  for matches it seems that every team has extra guys at the middle weights as compared to the heavier weights. Why add another big weight class where the numbers of competitive wrestlers are lower than the middle weights?

As per usual, your logic is iron clad. 

Nah - yours is because the data from the NFHS sez so.  Duh.  There's no room for question or debate because you and the NFHS are so clearly/logically in the right Dr. Spock.  I, and a lot of others on this website (including some coaches, apparently), don't believe the weight class changes are the greatest move.  I'm a stupid parent so my opinion matters little but I do find it intriguing that high level coaches are against more heavies at the expense of a great middle weight class.  But what do they know?  

Nah - yours is because the data from the NFHS sez so.  Duh.  There's no room for question or debate because you and the NFHS are so clearly/logically in the right Dr. Spock.  I, and a lot of others on this website (including some coaches, apparently), don't believe the weight class changes are the greatest move.  I'm a stupid parent so my opinion matters little but I do find it intriguing that high level coaches are against more heavies at the expense of a great middle weight class.  But what do they know? 

Live long and prosper.  Just wondering who you contacted at the National Federation over the past 3 years as these weight class changes were being discussed?  Your obvious passion surely must have had you firing email after email to the number crunchers, what was their response?  You previously stated that you were "pretty sure" there was a consensus of coaches who opposed the addition of the upper weights.  I'm surprised that you did not formally present evidence of  this consensus that you are "pretty sure" of  to the data obsessed geeks at the National Federation.  That info along with all the high level coach(es) against it might have been able to prevent the weight change in the first place.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.