I really enjoyed the Team State era...

Y2CJ41

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You needed to see the duals today. Doesn't get much better than that. If your for team state or not you got your money's worth today. If you didn't make the trip it was your loss. All 8 teams went all out and left nothing on the mat. All 8 teams were awesome today. Congrats to Perry, you boys didn't have it handed to you by any means. It was a dog fight till the end.

Keep the TEAM spirit in wrestling!!!!!

And I'd like to add I have several dogs in this fight.

Go Falcons!!!!

Y2,

I love you but you are killing me...luckily we are BFF's and can get through this.  Garrett is in for Al Smith next year...every other coach will get two very thin slices of meat and old government cheese on their sandwhich in the athletic department run and pathetic hospitality room, but you are only getting the bun!

WHAT A DAY TODAY!  I am not smart enough to know what is going to happen with Team State, but those of you saying it is a done deal and team state is gone, how in the world do you know that? 

Did the IHSAA plan to drop Team State before today?  I believe yes they did....after today???? I think it is a NEW BALL GAME!!!!  Obviously it was a GREAT and EXCITING day of wrestling, but we know the IHSAA is not too concerned with that...what they will have to look at is the HUGE crowd....absolutely PACKED!  IHSAA made a TON of money today...I believe and hope the decision will be a tough one and TEAM STATE is back next year....

ANYONE who was at TEAM STATE PLEASE explain to me how that is NOT OUTSTANDING for Indiana Wrestling????? WHAT A DAY!

Snyder

Keep it up Y2 and you won't even get the bun! haha

Do we know 100% that Team State will not be back next year?  If that is the case then I am sad that I did not attend this event today- it could've been my first and last one for the ages... I have numerous friends from Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, and Kentucky that think the concept is amazing.  They wanted to attend also but our colleges academic load wouldn't let us.  Its sad that it may be at its end.  However, congrats to Perry Meridian for the win.  I am not extremely fond of the falcons but darn they are just good and extremely well coached.

Do we know 100% that Team State will not be back next year?  If that is the case then I am sad that I did not attend this event today- it could've been my first and last one for the ages... I have numerous friends from Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, and Kentucky that think the concept is amazing.  They wanted to attend also but our colleges academic load wouldn't let us.  Its sad that it may be at its end.  However, congrats to Perry Meridian for the win.  I am not extremely fond of the falcons but darn they are just good and extremely well coached.

No, not at all.  Its all a lot of rumors at this point.  It is not officially done, a lot of people are hearing that may be pretty far from the truth acctually.

...what they will have to look at is the HUGE crowd....absolutely PACKED! 

the early rounds were packed, but having a gym over half empty for our state final dual was disheartening....  like i said in a different thread, when Pen and EMD left after the smifinals, one side of the entire gym left....

yes, it was a great day of wrestling....  glad i went.. nice to see Perry win it...  kinda fitting that they win the last one...

it was a great send off for the team series

AJ,

I would LOVE to know your inside source that Team State is gone.  Do you have documentation from Bobby Cox today stating Team State is done?  Didn't think so...your guess is no better than the rest of us...

Did a large portion of the crowd leave before the finals?  Yes...that is not shocking...8 teams started the day with a chance to win the state title.  By the last round only two teams were left.  Of course, most of the fans and families from the other six teams left...their teams were done...every other state I am aware of with a team state has the same result.

Do not dimish the fact that a HUGE crowd was at the Team State finals to watch a great day of wrestling.

Snyder

Maybe we should dissolve the individual state on Friday night because by the time 285 starts wrestling, the crowd seems to be a little smaller.......

Just kidding....... ;D

Team State was everything a Team tournament is about. The best Teams wrestling each other today to claim who is #1 this year. It was some great match ups.

Congrats Perry, it was your year to be #1.

Team State gives such an amazing feeling to the participating schools. It is something special. Being able to be a part of a team that competed all 4 years I was in high schools was what I will cherish for he rest of my life, and I am sure anyone that has ever been a part of that atmosphere would agree. Team State needs to STAY...

For what it's worth, the new wrestling commissioner, Roebrt Faulkens, is a BIG supporter of the team state tournament. Paid attendance for Round 1 yesterday was about 2300... up from the dismal 1200 that was there last year. Seemed like there were more there than that, and the noise at times was crazy. Good times!

Congrats to all 8 teams and to the well deserving champs from Perry!

the early rounds were packed, but having a gym over half empty for our state final dual was disheartening....   like i said in a different thread, when Pen and EMD left after the smifinals, one side of the entire gym left....

How about a two mat finals, for third you have Penn vs. EMD.

I like the idea of a third fourth place match. I had an idea about moving around team state and some people said dont mess with certain crowds but, the fact once your team is out and you have a 3-4 hour drive it only makes sence a large portion of the fans will leave to start the long trip home. If you go to a Pro game, any type, and it is a blowout of the home team you see a large portion of the fans leave.

I sure am GLAD that Coach Williams from LN didn't read all the links about his chances of being in the finals.  

That is what Coaching is all about getting the BEST out of what you HAVE.

Every Coach that has ever thrown a MATCH for what ever reason should be ASHAMED.   I have read Y2 say several times on this post.   Why wrestle your best kid if there is NO chance of winning.

LN in most peoples eyes had NO CHANCE of beating MD or CP.

Y2,

I love you but you are killing me...luckily we are BFF's and can get through this.  Garrett is in for Al Smith next year...every other coach will get two very thin slices of meat and old government cheese on their sandwhich in the athletic department run and pathetic hospitality room, but you are only getting the bun!

WHAT A DAY TODAY!  I am not smart enough to know what is going to happen with Team State, but those of you saying it is a done deal and team state is gone, how in the world do you know that? 

Did the IHSAA plan to drop Team State before today?  I believe yes they did....after today???? I think it is a NEW BALL GAME!!!!  Obviously it was a GREAT and EXCITING day of wrestling, but we know the IHSAA is not too concerned with that...what they will have to look at is the HUGE crowd....absolutely PACKED!  IHSAA made a TON of money today...I believe and hope the decision will be a tough one and TEAM STATE is back next year....

ANYONE who was at TEAM STATE PLEASE explain to me how that is NOT OUTSTANDING for Indiana Wrestling????? WHAT A DAY!

Snyder

Keep it up Y2 and you won't even get the bun! haha

Which team got dropped from the Al Smith?

I created an account just to comment about this topic.  I strongly believe they should keep team state.  Wrestling is one of those unique sports where it is both individual and team oriented.  There is something special about both aspects.  In individual, you are representing your school but doing it for yourself.  In team, you are doing it for your school.  Why have dual meets if wrestling is not a team sport?

Also, as we saw yesterday, team state is not just for the mega schools.  There were two what I would call "small schools" (Delphi and EMD), two medium sized schools (Roncalli and Bellmont) and four big schools (CP, LN, PM and Penn).  That being said, I agree that small schools are at a huge disadvantage in the team portion.  You cannot deny that.  I believe all small schools have a chance to get there eventually if they implement a strong feeder program, but still, they are at a disadvantage.  I think you can rectify this by classing team state.  I am not here to propose any logistical way to do this, but I am sure it is possible.  Also, you could have the both the small school team state and the big school team state on the same day.  All you would have to do is add one more round (in other words, have the quarterfinals take two rounds).  Can you imagine how exciting that would be to have two team state championship matches going on at the same time?

Now, I realize the IHSAA is resistant to change.  That is why it is so important right now to just keep team state the way it is with the goal of eventually convincing the IHSAA to make some changes to make it more realistic for the smaller schools.  If team state gets eliminated now, it is never coming back.  And that would be a shame.  I was at the team state yesterday and I truly believe it was the most exciting day of wrestling all year (yes, more exciting than individual state).  

Anyway, just my two cents.  Feel free to disagree.

Right now about 30 teams are viable in the Team State series, according to Bobby Cox.  With two classes, about 50 teams would be viable - not enough to make Team State worth doing.

Imagine how disappointed all those small schools would be when they discover they can't hack it even in a classed environment. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.