Team State - IT IS TIME!

Darrick Snyder

AJ... if a title is determined by your elite wrestlers, are you going to focus more on your elite than your other wrestlers? More than likely you are.

Maybe I am naive, but I say shame on the coaches who dont try to improve every kid in their room... 

This is something completely up to the coaches, their ethics, their morals,and their principles...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I am naive, but I say shame on the coaches who dont try to improve every kid in their room... 

This is something completely up to the coaches, their ethics, their morals,and their principles...

I agree with you that all kids should be and will continue to be worked with.  I think the bigger problem is that we would be crowning our team champion in a way that doesn't show how the top team is,  we might as well not even have a team champion if our way of crowning the champ only would involve 3 to 8 out of a 14 man team.

I agree with you that all kids should be and will continue to be worked with.  I think the bigger problem is that we would be crowning our team champion in a way that doesn't show how the top team is,  we might as well not even have a team champion if our way of crowning the champ only would involve 3 to 8 out of a 14 man team.

They do it in track this way and no one is whining about having a team track series.

They do it in track this way and no one is whining about having a team track series.

The track coaches should be fighting for a dual champion.  That would be a great event.  Could you imagine a head to head with Snider and Lawrence North for example, you have to admit that would be a pretty sweet event.  I'm sure it would be awsome as a classed team event too, I don't know enough about small school track, but I know we have a pretty tough small school team at Busco :)

Also didn't Harding either win or finish second in girls track with one or two girls at the finals.  That is the kind of situation that we would be in.  Indian Creek would have been state runner ups, and they finished 5th at sectionals.  They had great indivduals but how is it fair that they be state runner ups over teams that are obviously better?

So if I understand right. Say Coach Tonte or Coach Snyder tales a 5 year old and in 10 years he is a State placer. The only reason he placed was because he was from a big school? I would say coaching would have more to do with it.  To have State caliber wrestlers takes more then 2 hours a day, 3 months a year.

The track coaches should be fighting for a dual champion.  That would be a great event.  Could you imagine a head to head with Snider and Lawrence North for example, you have to admit that would be a pretty sweet event.  I'm sure it would be awsome as a classed team event too, I don't know enough about small school track, but I know we have a pretty tough small school team at Busco :)

Also didn't Harding either win or finish second in girls track with one or two girls at the finals.  That is the kind of situation that we would be in.  Indian Creek would have been state runner ups, and they finished 5th at sectionals.  They had great individuals but how is it fair that they be state runner ups over teams that are obviously better?

Though in track you are scoring based on time or distance, so they really don't need a dual competition to decide that. You could realistically determine a team champion without an actual dual format. Same with many other sports like cross country, swimming, golf, gymnastics etc.  The only issue would be they would need to have to have the entire team at the final competition to truly say the team competed and were taken into consideration for the final scoring.  Wrestling on the other hand is based on more head to head results like tennis and would need a separate dual format to truly decided what team preformed better.

The track coaches should be fighting for a dual champion.  That would be a great event.  Could you imagine a head to head with Snider and Lawrence North for example, you have to admit that would be a pretty sweet event.  I'm sure it would be awsome as a classed team event too, I don't know enough about small school track, but I know we have a pretty tough small school team at Busco :)

Also didn't Harding either win or finish second in girls track with one or two girls at the finals.  That is the kind of situation that we would be in.  Indian Creek would have been state runner ups, and they finished 5th at sectionals.  They had great indivduals but how is it fair that they be state runner ups over teams that are obviously better?

Track coaches must not be as progressive as some wrestling coaches

This is not my idea and you may have already discussed this at lengthes. But what about using the current coaches trophy format for determining the team champion, but include all the earned points from the whole team starting at sectionals?  The whole team would feel important and 5 or 6 studs would not get the job done. 

This is not my idea and you may have already discussed this at lengthes. But what about using the current coaches trophy format for determining the team champion, but include all the earned points from the whole team starting at sectionals?  The whole team would feel important and 5 or 6 studs would not get the job done. 

Yorktown would like this set up.  They won their sectional by 150 pts.  On the other hand Lawrence North might not like it so much as they won their sectional by 20 or so points.

He's not poisoning the minds of his kids, he's just being a realistic coach and not giving the kids false hopes. Small school teams don't have that big of a chance to get past bigger Schools so again they focus on making each individual better and getting those kids who have the qualifications, to make it to state!

I know if my coach was blowing smoke up my butt about how we could beat some team (when we had a snowballs chance in hell) I would question weather or not he should be our coach. When bigger schools come in and tear you a new one in a dual meet, you usually can tell if you'll beat them later on in sectionals or regionals.

Take size out of it.  Just because you tear another team a new one in a dual DOES NOT mean you'll tear them a new one in Sectionals.  Ask Homestead about their Sectionals experience over the last two years.  In 2010 they beat New Haven by only 1/2 point in Secionals after handily beating them in the dual AND in their invitational.  This season (2011) they beat Snider handily in their dual and lost to them in Sectionals by 1/2 point.  Duals and Sectionals have very little bearing on one another.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.