Completely ridiculous: Brad Harper

Penn04

I agree but if you don't register to vote, you cant vote.  You don't get to pay a fine and still vote.

Don't be naive it depends on whose checking the cards--how do you think all thoes dead people get to vote each election!  It was a paperwork error.  A old roster from the first meet was submitted.  The punishment doesn't fit the crime!  Just another chance to puff out their chest and say look whose king!  Kids are being hurt they are just thankfully not being DQ'd.  Just crazy once again what possible good for the kids,the sport the school and coach came from this punishment--nothing! It was a human error--it happens. Should there be a penalty....... maybe to keep the paper trail clean in the future ..should it be not coaching the state finals ....no way.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like an honest mistake. Why blow it out of proportion. He or somebody within Penn program made a mistake. Not the first program to go through it and maybe not the last. Let's not put coach Harper or the Penn program down. Lets move on.

Well... all one can say is oopps.... and hope that it doesn't happen again... Good thing they won sectionals and team regionals by enough points where no one will complain about it. Now my question is, will the IHSAA make the wrestlers wrestle in the weight classes as stated per the paper work at state, or will they be given a pass?

A simple paperwork error that deserved a slap on the wrist and a stern ?Don?t let it happen again? warning. 3 seniors - Gregory, Ham, Hummer ? probably would have liked to share the pinnacle of 4 years of hard work with the coach that guided them to this proud moment. Regardless of the IHSAA's overbearing decision, Coach Harper and Penn have some great things going for them. He is building a powerhouse program and will get to coach a state champion in the near future. Also, he has assembled an amazing group of assistants ? Rhoads, Hershberger, McCann, Manspeaker, Dolly, etc. ? that are also passionate about those kids and are fiercely loyal to him. The 6 kids at state are in good hand this weekend.

All I can say is that Brad is an up-standing individual and coach.  He is an inspiration to many wrestlers well outside of the Penn school district.  He is alway's positive and like someone said, he would say "bring it on" rather that skirt the system. 

Just curious as to what "fund" the IHSAA will deposit the $500 into?

Anyone know how/who brought this discrepancy up?  Rhetorical question as there would be a lynching if that name was brought out, but I am guessing a disgruntled parent or coach?  I'll chip in on the $500 too and sign my name to the check and in memo line note it as IHSAA BS.

I was thinking the same thing. I probably owe him $500...

Having him sit out Friday is complete BS on the IHSAA's part.

The rules are there to prevent unscrupulous coaches from making a mockery of high school sports. These people exist and we all know it. Sometimes innocent mistakes happen and what seems like a relatively minor issue receives a one size fits all punishment. People would howl about favoritism of the big school if the IHSAA let him off the hook.  Can't you hear someone complaining how they wouldn't let the little guy get away with it.

I am sure he has a qualified staff and has adequately prepared the kids.  The sun will probably come up Saturday morning.  

Anyone know how/who brought this discrepancy up?  

I'd say more than likely the school AD staff noticed the issue and were obligated to report it.  

Or possibly someone at the IHSAA notice.  That is if they actually look over the forms prior to the state finals to try and avoid any major issue that would be hard and controversial to fix after the events.  

Just curious as to what "fund" the IHSAA will deposit the $500 into?

I'm not sure if it is the hookers and cheap booze fund or maybe the anti-wrestling campaign fund. Or maybe it will just go into their general fund.  

I was thinking the same thing. I probably owe him $500...

Having him sit out Friday is complete BS on the IHSAA's part.

It is the whole tournament not just Friday night....That's what makes it absolutly over the top!

My understanding is that Penn High School is assessed the $500 fine while Coach Harper serves the suspension.  Harp doesn't pay the fine.  I hope I'm not wrong there.

But I don't understand the issue as to the weights.  It used to be that a wrestler certified at a weight and could wrestle that weight or bump up one class.  Then a few years ago that rule was suspended or abolished.  At Team State a few years ago, Blake Maurer, MD's state champ 171, bumped two classes to wrestle New Castle's 215.  How was that possible? 

But I don't understand the issue as to the weights.  It used to be that a wrestler certified at a weight and could wrestle that weight or bump up one class.  Then a few years ago that rule was suspended or abolished.  At Team State a few years ago, Blake Maurer, MD's state champ 171, bumped two classes to wrestle New Castle's 215.  How was that possible?  

You can wrestle at the weight you are entered or bump up one weight class.  I would assume one of the wrestlers in this case was fine based on being able to stay at the weight entered or bump up to the next weight.  The other however probably was entered in a way that did not allow him to wrestle in the weight class he did.  Basically he probably wrestled below the entered minimum sectional weight or two weights higher than the entered weight.

X-card responded while I was typing and summed up what I typed in one sentence. :)

I know at our sectional seeding meeting the host school checks to make sure the kids you have entered for seeding mesh with the IHSAA entry list.  In this case it appears that Gregory who was entered at 130 would be OK at 135.  However, Manspeaker, who was entered at 135, would not be allowed to enter at the sectional at 130, nor would he have been able to wrestle at 130 during the team state portion.  I know our AD has the coach fill out the IHSAA entry list.  He then types it up and has the coach double check it before being sent to the IHSAA to avoid these types of situations.  They must have a different system at Penn and maybe the stiff punishment will cause them to not make the same mistakes in the future.  

I think the IHSAA is being generous in allowing Manspeaker to wrestle and acknowledging that is was a mistake.  By the letter of the law, Manspeaker is an illegally entered athlete at 130 and should not be allowed to wrestle.  Common sense says he has wrestled 130 the 98% of the season and there is no competitive advantage for the team so let's not punish the kid by removing him from the tournament.  The IHSAA is being consistent here by suspending a coach, who by clerical error (Penn situation) or misunderstanding of the weight reduction plan (Mishawaka and Chesterton in recent years) instead of punishing the kids.  

While I understand that the IHSAA could if they wanted suspend the athlete and I also understand that suspending the coach is a way to ensure the inegrity of the sport for which they stand. But I for one as a tax payer would require and do require much more from the governing body for high school athletics or any other governing body then to punish the student athlete by not allowing him or her to have the leadership or guidance they deserve (Their Head Coach) Using common sense as guidance should be the least we expect from those who determine the fates of young men and woman. To use the expression or phrase of it is a rule after all, we can't allow it or for heaven sakes mayhem will result. Haven't a few of you on here taken liberties with the posted legal speed limit - Perhaps been pulled over then let off with only a warning, or heaven forbid the autocratic pain in the rear police officer gave me a ticket and I was only doing 8 over. perhaps I invested in purchasing a radar detector to allow me to circumvent the rules. This is High School Athletics for crying out loud. Let the kids Wrestle, let them have the leadership of the man they worked so hard for and he in return and lighten up IHSAA this is High School Sports show the young men and woman an intelligent and thoughful resolution can be had and for crying out loud don't stand behind it is a rule after all.

Just for your edification I am not a Penn Alumni nor supporter just want to see whats best for the young men

While I understand that the IHSAA could if they wanted suspend the athlete and I also understand that suspending the coach is a way to ensure the inegrity of the sport for which they stand. But I for one as a tax payer . . .

There are no tax monies funding the IHSAA.

Just to save us all time? Every time someone makes a mistake we don?t need 45 posts about what a great guy he is or how upstanding he is. No one questioned that. He made a mistake.

The penalties are stiff not because the IHSAA wants your money, but as a deterrent to it happening again.

As a question, who were the Franklin and Beach Grove kids not allowed?

Not stating that this "mishap" was human error or intentional, but there are strategies and possible motives behind "Weight Gate". 

Individual-

*Maybe Gregory thought about wrestling 130 for the state tournament due to the abundance of talent at 135.  A shot at a 130 state  title would not be as difficult as 135.  He either could not make the weight or simply was restrained to the 1.5 rule and Penn had already sent in the paperwork.

OR

Team-

*The Team State draws were already drawn and Penn's positive thoughts were that they would be able to get past either Bellmont or Yorktown in the first round.  However, in round two they would probably face Perry Meridian, where Penn's strategy was to wrestle Gregory at 130.  Oddly enough, as these two teams met earlier in the year Gregory wrestled 130 against Perry.  Coincidence?  ???

Not stating that this "mishap" was human error or intentional, but there are strategies and possible motives behind "Weight Gate". 

Individual-

*Maybe Gregory thought about wrestling 130 for the state tournament due to the abundance of talent at 135.  A shot at a 130 state  title would not be as difficult as 135.  He either could not make the weight or simply was restrained to the 1.5 rule and Penn had already sent in the paperwork.

OR

Team-

*The Team State draws were already drawn and Penn's positive thoughts were that they would be able to get past either Bellmont or Yorktown in the first round.  However, in round two they would probably face Perry Meridian, where Penn's strategy was to wrestle Gregory at 130.  Oddly enough, as these two teams met earlier in the year Gregory wrestled 130 against Perry.  Coincidence?  ???

I think your point is valid enough to prove that no matter how good the intentions were, this is a case where some sort of punishment was warranted.

I stand corrected on the use of tax monies but will stick with my assessment of them in their quest to provide fair and upstanding competition to the member student athletes as my basis for them to make educated and thoughful judgements.

As for the comment that the stiff penalties are their way of ensuring that future mistakes of this type don't occur it seems to be working to a T as at least three previous mishaps of the same type have been mentioned.

Who ultimately suffers for a clerical error, the student athlete. What a pompous group who thinks that some underhanded activities were abound and that the only way to ensure the future integrity of the sport and save the world from the underhanded and dasterdly doings of Coach harper is to suspend him and fine the school - That will show them all "You can't mess with the Man"

Just to save us all time? Every time someone makes a mistake we don?t need 45 posts about what a great guy he is or how upstanding he is. No one questioned that. He made a mistake.

The penalties are stiff not because the IHSAA wants your money, but as a deterrent to it happening again.

As a question, who were the Franklin and Beach Grove kids not allowed?

Cat,

Don't remember the names, but I believe it was the FC 152 and BG 215. 

My first question as to why these guys were Disqualified and their season ENDED and the Penn Kids allowed to continue, despite apparently the same infractions, would be:

1. Is it because the Franklin and Beach Grove teams do not have ?Big Name? coaches? (Big name in that they are recently successful in IHSAA-as being current weighs heavily in the minds of the IHSAA)

2.Could it be a racial issue? A ?Garcia? has his season ended while ?Gregory? and ?Manspeaker? are allowed to continue wrestling with their schools bearing the burden?  Perhaps someone should ask the IHSAA???

I came up with the names according to my quick ?Google? research; If I am mistaken, please let me know.

http://www.ihigh.com/school8320/article_46509.html

FC kid was probably ?Labens?

http://www.ihigh.com/hoosierauthority/article_43745.html

BG Kid was probably ?Garcia?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.