Completely ridiculous: Brad Harper

Penn04

Its to bad this mistake happened but if the school follows the IHSAA's suggestions there are several places this could have been caught in time. I don't know if it happens at every school this way but at my school the AD gets an email with a link to enter the wrestlers on the sectional entry list. The AD forwards the link to me (the coach) and I enter the wrestlers names and weights. I then send the link back to the AD and he fills in the other info. like birth date and eligibility data. The IHSAA suggests that the coach prints off the list with the wrestlers name and weight class and post it at practice where the wrestlers can look it over. You then tell the wrestlers that they can wrestle the class they are listed in or the next one up. That way all the assistant coaches and all the wrestlers can look it over and see any mistakes. After the list has been posted for several days we then return it to the IHSAA.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Happened at the Warren Central Sectional. I don't know if this is a different violation but Franklin Central and Beech Grove both had wrestlers on the entry list but not their Alpha List. FC entered a back up, BG didn't have one so they had to forfeit that weight.

My first question as to why these guys were Disqualified and their season ENDED and the Penn Kids allowed to continue, despite apparently the same infractions, would be:

1. Is it because the Franklin and Beach Grove teams do not have Big Name coaches? (Big name in that they are recently successful in IHSAA-as being current weighs heavily in the minds of the IHSAA)

2.Could it be a racial issue? A Garcia has his season ended while Gregory and Manspeaker are allowed to continue wrestling with their schools bearing the burden?  Perhaps someone should ask the IHSAA???

I came up with the names according to my quick Google research; If I am mistaken, please let me know.

http://www.ihigh.com/school8320/article_46509.html

FC kid was probably Labens

http://www.ihigh.com/hoosierauthority/article_43745.html

BG Kid was probably Garcia

Two totally different lists are the Official Sectional Roster and the Alpha List.  I guarentee that if they were left off the  Alpha List, they would not be wrestling this Saturday.

XCard is correct, and really, this is not a big deal.  Unfortunately for Brad and the Penn wrestlers they will miss out.  But it has happened before, and I'm sure will happen again.  This is NOT any form of cheating or shady tactics.  It basically is ONE piece of paper.  We don't know who is even responsible, but it is a piece of paper that is the reason for this.  Human error, it happens.  I'm pretty sure the last thing a Head Coach of a Top 10 Team is worried about is a piece of paper, he is concentrating on his team.  The AD should be more involved with the IHSAA paperwork.  I think the IHSAA discipline is a little harsh, but those are the rules.  Let's not assume or elaborate anymore on the issue.  (I'm a Mishawaka guy by the way.)

Two totally different lists are the Official Sectional Roster and the Alpha List.  I guarentee that if they were left off the  Alpha List, they would not be wrestling this Saturday.

That was my original question. The alpha list is generated by the trainer. I'm guessing a head or assistant coach overlooked it. Help me clarify, what is the difference? How many coaches check it? Don't tell me all the coaches in state adhere to the alpha list weight rule. It was simply an oversight by coaches/administration/trainer. So my question is still, why punish the student athlete who did nothing wrong?

XCard is correct, and really, this is not a big deal.  Unfortunately for Brad and the Penn wrestlers they will miss out.  But it has happened before, and I'm sure will happen again.  This is NOT any form of cheating or shady tactics.  It basically is ONE piece of paper.  We don't know who is even responsible, but it is a piece of paper that is the reason for this.  Human error, it happens.  I'm pretty sure the last thing a Head Coach of a Top 10 Team is worried about is a piece of paper, he is concentrating on his team.  The AD should be more involved with the IHSAA paperwork.  I think the IHSAA discipline is a little harsh, but those are the rules.  Let's not assume or elaborate anymore on the issue.  (I'm a Mishawaka guy by the way.)

As a coach I would not want anyone other than myself to be responsible for entering my wrestlers in the sectional.

Maybe I don't understand, but why even have a sectional sheet if it is not used in the seating meeting for sectional.  Obviously everyone in the seating meeting knew that Manspeaker was at 130 and Gregory was at 135.  As for the team state, what does it matter.  Each wrestler has an alpha weight and can wrestle there or one weight above.  If there is some jockying around within those parameters, who cares.  It is a team sport and each coach wants to put out the team that has the best chance of winning.  I for one, enjoy the fact one may not know for sure who they will wrestle.  Adding a sectional sheet to the already engrained in stone alpha weight seems to me to be an uneccessary piece of paperwork.

I am kind of with NIA.

I admit i do not understand the intricacies of the IHSAA. My main point was that if two 'middle of the state' kids were disqualified because of trainer or coach errors, why were the Penn kids allowed to continue with the coaching bearing responsibility rather than the athletes?

It appears in both cases the mistake was not the students' fault. Why punish the student in one case and not the other?

Shouldn?t the school/coach bear responsibility in both or neither? If not why-(Honestly, not sarcastically.)

If a wrestler was not on the alpha sheet then he should not have been able to wrestle at all in the regular season or the tournament series. You have to be on that list before your first match of the year. You have to have 6 qualifying weigh-ins before the seeding meeting to be able to be entered in the sectional. If he is not on the alpha sheet then he did not get any qualifying weigh-ins regardless of how many times he weighed in this year.

Madison had a kid about 5-6 years ago who was on the sectional roster as 45, the head coach forgot to make the change, entered him at 60 and the hosts school AD and Bobby Cox decided the kid couldn't wrestle at all. We tried to pay the hundred dollars on the spot, but Cox was being a Co...nevermind.

This does suck, but it is what it is.  Let's face it, it's not rocket science in the chair anyway.  He'll be at practice all week making sure that the game plan is ready to be followed.  The rest of his coaches have all the mental faculties to do just fine...most of them anyway!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.