Lew Wallace Sportmanship Merrillville Semi-State

If you were at the Merrillville Semi-State at Heavy Weight our team had a wrestlers that showed tasteless conduct of sportsmanship that this level of competition does not deserve, further it placed our school and team in a shameful light I could only hope will one day disappear...In no way does this act of sportsmanship get taught or encouraged...the task at Gary Wallace H.S. as head coach is great not only for the position of teaching this great sport but to teach the discipline of sportsmanship, honor, and pride... I would like to send an apology to all that hear or witness this dramatized behavior of lack of discipline and sportsmanship...For this reason many fear allowing our team to participate in their events and this is disheartening but yet understood...We at Gary Wallace Wrestling have some great kids that give this sport it due respect and those who chose to participate.  I without a doubt am working now to focus on presenting various ways to give our student-athletes a great respect and desire to give just due to their opponents, officials and coaches...instead of acting like a idiot

Sincerely,

Coach David L Walton Jr.

You are indeed doing a great job with this program Coach Walton, and don't let one incident like this make you think that your program has taken a step back. Both you and your assistant handled the situation very appropriately. Young Mr Davis lost a tight match that ended his high school career, and kids tend to get emotional. ... it happens. Keep up the good work!

If you were at the Merrillville Semi-State at Heavy Weight our team had a wrestlers that showed tasteless conduct of sportsmanship that this level of competition does not deserve, further it placed our school and team in a shameful light I could only hope will one day disappear...In no way does this act of sportsmanship get taught or encouraged...the task at Gary Wallace H.S. as head coach is great not only for the position of teaching this great sport but to teach the discipline of sportsmanship, honor, and pride... I would like to send an apology to all that hear or witness this dramatized behavior of lack of discipline and sportsmanship...For this reason many fear allowing our team to participate in their events and this is disheartening but yet understood...We at Gary Wallace Wrestling have some great kids that give this sport it due respect and those who chose to participate.  I without a doubt am working now to focus on presenting various ways to give our student-athletes a great respect and desire to give just due to their opponents, officials and coaches...instead of acting like a idiot

Sincerely,

Coach David L Walton Jr.

Q

Wallace is lucky to have you at their program....  Your true leadership is shown here.  Its unfortunate the stigmatism that Gary takes.  Keep up the great leadership.

A stand up act of apology for something that was not your doing.  You sound like you are trying to do whats right by your school, program, and wrestlers and should be commended for this.  It is also shameful for others to judge the entirety of a program based on one unfortunate incident.  Hopefully others have also seen the great strides you have made with the program (evident by other messages on this thread) and will use that to judge what Gary Wallace wrestling truly is.  Hats off you for trying to do your part coach.

If you don't mind, could someone provide more details about what happened?  I was there and saw nothing.

Coach, Again proof that you handled the situation correctly most spectators didn't see any or all of it.  Send out those letters to attend invites or make that call.  I believe you will get some takers on invites in 2011 - 2012 school year.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.