Evansville Updates?

wrestler68

Mastison is a nice kid and a good wrestler.  Its that simple.

Dunkel is a great story.

Don't call these kids a joke.  In my eyes these kids are studs.

I don't even want to get started on the angry irishman. ???

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes we lose perspective.  I'm proud of any of the kids who make the varsity team as a wrestler.  Even if there is not a full team, and anybody who goes out gets to be varsity, I still salute those kids too.  Because every week they go out in front of their friends, family, and the other wrestlers and do thei rthing on the mat.  Whether they are victorious, or wrestled hard and came up short, I have a great deal of respect for those kids and hope they do not lose sight of what they have accomplished.  And that varsity wrestling letter is the hardest letter they will ever get. 

Congratulations to every kid who wrestled this year, varsity or JV.  You earned some respect.

Niceshot,

It must be nice to be able to hide behind a screen name and bash a 16 year old kid. Tell the southern indiana wrestling community who you are so we can discuss your hatred openly. Tell me what my son has done to you and i am sure he will apologize. I am very proud of what he has accomplished in two years of high school wrestling, plus mainting a very high G.P.A. I will gladly put my name and high school affiliation on anything i post. Will you?

Mark Mastison

Harrison Wrestling

We know he won't, Mark.  Your son is a fine young man and wrestler.  Everybody will have at least one detractor.  Chalk it up to someone who is bitter about something and has an axe to grind against you or Harrison.  Call him/her an idiot and forget about it.  I'm sure he/she is proud to downgrade a high school sophomore.  Probably someone with no success of their own and jealous of someone has some.

I thought the officiating on Saturday was inconsistent at best, but the wrestling, that was right on.  I didn't see any major blow ups, any big fights with kids and/or officials, and not one fence got knocked down...overall, very good sportsmanship.  Some brackets may seem lopsided, some great kids got left behind, some bad calls were made...but the wrestling...that was right on.  And isn't that what it's all about?  Wrestling?  Anyone can lose on any given day...no one is a LOCK...which means...if they want it bad enough...ANYONE can win.  I lost a lot of my wrestlers this week-end...and although I think they deserve to be there, I would never take away from the true accomplishments of another wrestler.  Dunkle straight out wrestled - there were no questionable calls, dirty manuevers, excessive stalling.  He had no hand in what side of the bracket he landed on...I'm sure he was just ecstatic to be there, considering his season ended the week before. This is an exciting moment for Dunkle, let him enjoy the ride, he earned it.  Good luck to all of the wrestlers headed to Conseco ~ I'll be rooting especially hard for the boys from Evansville's SS!! 

Niceshot,

It must be nice to be able to hide behind a screen name and bash a 16 year old kid. Tell the southern indiana wrestling community who you are so we can discuss your hatred openly. Tell me what my son has done to you and i am sure he will apologize. I am very proud of what he has accomplished in two years of high school wrestling, plus mainting a very high G.P.A. I will gladly put my name and high school affiliation on anything i post. Will you?

Mark Mastison

Harrison Wrestling

Mark,

Matt is well respected by all who matter.  That's all that is important.

I thought the officiating on Saturday was inconsistent at best, but the wrestling, that was right on.  I didn't see any major blow ups, any big fights with kids and/or officials, and not one fence got knocked down...overall, very good sportsmanship.  Some brackets may seem lopsided, some great kids got left behind, some bad calls were made...but the wrestling...that was right on.  And isn't that what it's all about?  Wrestling?  Anyone can lose on any given day...no one is a LOCK...which means...if they want it bad enough...ANYONE can win.  I lost a lot of my wrestlers this week-end...and although I think they deserve to be there, I would never take away from the true accomplishments of another wrestler.  Dunkle straight out wrestled - there were no questionable calls, dirty manuevers, excessive stalling.  He had no hand in what side of the bracket he landed on...I'm sure he was just ecstatic to be there, considering his season ended the week before. This is an exciting moment for Dunkle, let him enjoy the ride, he earned it.  Good luck to all of the wrestlers headed to Conseco ~ I'll be rooting especially hard for the boys from Evansville's SS!! 

Wahoo to you!

Sometimes we lose perspective.  I'm proud of any of the kids who make the varsity team as a wrestler.  Even if there is not a full team, and anybody who goes out gets to be varsity, I still salute those kids too.  Because every week they go out in front of their friends, family, and the other wrestlers and do thei rthing on the mat.  Whether they are victorious, or wrestled hard and came up short, I have a great deal of respect for those kids and hope they do not lose sight of what they have accomplished.  And that varsity wrestling letter is the hardest letter they will ever get. 

Congratulations to every kid who wrestled this year, varsity or JV.   You earned some respect.

Probably the best quote said on this thread.  As a father and former wrestler who was average at best, any young man or woman that steps out on the mat, who makes the commitment to the most grueling grinding sport there is, deserves total respect no matter what.  We are building these kids to be adults through this sport..no one is a joke.  This sport is not the end all do all of the world either.  I would venture to guess that out of all the kids running through Indiana HS wrestling programs we might have a very small percentage of people who carry this on to their future career, however, this sport builds character, work ethic, and a never say quit attitude...that's why I encourage my sons to do it.  Anyone taking a shot at a young man or woman has lost their way

Mike Speaker

Columbus North Bulldog Wrestling parent times 3

Probably the best quote said on this thread.  As a father and former wrestler who was average at best, any young man or woman that steps out on the mat, who makes the commitment to the most grueling grinding sport there is, deserves total respect no matter what.  We are building these kids to be adults through this sport..no one is a joke.  This sport is not the end all do all of the world either.  I would venture to guess that out of all the kids running through Indiana HS wrestling programs we might have a very small percentage of people who carry this on to their future career, however, this sport builds character, work ethic, and a never say quit attitude...that's why I encourage my sons to do it.  Anyone taking a shot at a young man or woman has lost their way

Mike Speaker

Columbus North Bulldog Wrestling parent times 3

This deserves a "wahoo". 

All I can say is WOW about the comments about Matt Mastison.  ??? As a parent of a wrestler who has battled Matt for probably the last 4-5 yrs, all I can say I am embarrassed for my son's name being mentioned in some of the post. My family and Blake have nothing but the upmost respect for the Mastison family. I consider myself and Mark a "wrestling" friend as our boys have become competitiors on the mat. Our older kids go to the same university and I have enjoyed speaking with Mark about U of Indy wrestling.  As I hoped and cheered for Matt to advance at SS, I feel that Mark and Matt were cheering for Blake and Sam Goebel to do their best and advance to state also. I hope the people that have been bashing Matt will remember that these are only boys and not adults. Congratulations on Matt's season and I know it wasn't what you guys wanted but I know Matt will make the best of it next year and only continue to work harder and be more determined. That's what scares me.  :) I'm sure the Blake vs. Matt matches are not yet over in their HS careers.

Somebody that has nothing better to do than bash high school kids should find a charitable organization and donate some of their time instead of posting on a discussion board.

Mark Johns

Ive never understood so called parents and other adults coming on sites like these and talking bad about kids.  These Im guessing are the same "adults" that are booing these kids after they wrestled or standing up on the podium.  Sometimes they boo the officials and the calls,  ok still that 15-17 yr old kid is out there hearing the boos.  he's not out there thinking  oh its not me its the ref on that call i shouldnt have got.  lol  Hats off to all the wrestlers who got lucky.... all who shouldnt have made it but did,  all the wrestlers who are going to state even tho a so called better wrestler had a bad draw and isnt going... Thats whats great about this sport.  thats why you go out and wrestle.  I've been involved in wrestling for a very long time and have not met a kid yet who deserves to be booed or talked bad about after they put their all out on the mat and came out with a win..Ive seen some with piss poor attitudes after a loss,  throwing head gear and not wanting to shake the opp hand,  but thats more a reflection on their coach and parents.. . If they knew their coach/parents  werent gonna tolerate it,  they wouldnt do it.    oh well  good luck this week at state  lets do some damage up at conseco...

george williams

All I can say is WOW about the comments about Matt Mastison.  ??? As a parent of a wrestler who has battled Matt for probably the last 4-5 yrs, all I can say I am embarrassed for my son's name being mentioned in some of the post. My family and Blake have nothing but the upmost respect for the Mastison family. I consider myself and Mark a "wrestling" friend as our boys have become competitiors on the mat. Our older kids go to the same university and I have enjoyed speaking with Mark about U of Indy wrestling.  As I hoped and cheered for Matt to advance at SS, I feel that Mark and Matt were cheering for Blake and Sam Goebel to do their best and advance to state also. I hope the people that have been bashing Matt will remember that these are only boys and not adults. Congratulations on Matt's season and I know it wasn't what you guys wanted but I know Matt will make the best of it next year and only continue to work harder and be more determined. That's what scares me.   :) I'm sure the Blake vs. Matt matches are not yet over in their HS careers.

Somebody that has nothing better to do than bash high school kids should find a charitable organization and donate some of their time instead of posting on a discussion board.

Mark Johns

DITTO Mark

I would like to thank Mr. Johns and all those who have responded to my comments. I have always said that everyone deserves their opinion on any topic, but sometimes enough is enough. Mat has a great respect for wrestlers and the wrestling communtiy, and has told me that comments do not bother him. He has the upmost respect for Blake Johns and Sam Goebel. He sat in the stands at semi-state and cheered for them both. He has never, nor would i allow, cheering against a city or SIAC wrestler. I do consider the Johns family as "Greyhound Family", with my daughter attending UINDY wrestling meets and cheering for Alex. If someone does not like me as a coach or referee that is fine. I can handle it. But to call anyone who goes thru a season of wrestling a "joke" does not understand the sport.

i think the joke here is mr. nice shot. i dont blame you "nice shot" for hiding behind your screen name cause if i was goin to post crap like that i would too. you obviously never wrestled or dont realize what hard work goes into it. any kid that comes out, varsity or not is not a joke. you should feel proud of yourself

It is quit the accomplishment to make it to Semistate and if you go further it 's the ultimate goal that all wrestlers strive for. From the first time they put on the head gear it is every wrestlers dream to go to Conseco. For those that do not advance to state, take pride in making it to Semistate because there are far more that do not make it that far.

Beyond all of the where did I place or how far did I go in the tournament or who made it instead of me. Think back on what you have overcome and how this sport has affected your life and what you have learned about yourself. Years down the road the ribbons, the medals the big poster board with the bracket on them will only be a memory, the glory will have fadded, no one will know your name. But the leasons you have learned will remain. Life is just as tough if not tougher than wrestling, you can go to college and have the best grade point average be top of your class, get a great job and then the company down sizes and your job that you trained for is gone. But you the wrestler have learned to overcome or accept these setbacks and know you can overcome them as you have done it before by working hard to overcome your next opponent.

Never give up the dedication that you have given this sport. Instead use this drive and dedication to drive your life. Years down the road you will realize what wrestling has done for you and maybe just maybe you will have the chance to give something back, maybe your son or daughter or through coaching. But one day you will know that you made it to where you are because of your decision to be a Wrestler.

It is quit the accomplishment to make it to Semistate and if you go further it 's the ultimate goal that all wrestlers strive for. From the first time they put on the head gear it is every wrestlers dream to go to Conseco. For those that do not advance to state, take pride in making it to Semistate because there are far more that do not make it that far.

Beyond all of the where did I place or how far did I go in the tournament or who made it instead of me. Think back on what you have overcome and how this sport has affected your life and what you have learned about yourself. Years down the road the ribbons, the medals the big poster board with the bracket on them will only be a memory, the glory will have fadded, no one will know your name. But the leasons you have learned will remain. Life is just as tough if not tougher than wrestling, you can go to college and have the best grade point average be top of your class, get a great job and then the company down sizes and your job that you trained for is gone. But you the wrestler have learned to overcome or accept these setbacks and know you can overcome them as you have done it before by working hard to overcome your next opponent.

Never give up the dedication that you have given this sport. Instead use this drive and dedication to drive your life. Years down the road you will realize what wrestling has done for you and maybe just maybe you will have the chance to give something back, maybe your son or daughter or through coaching. But one day you will know that you made it to where you are because of your decision to be a Wrestler.

Well said sir...... I wish AJ all the best in his future plans and I'm sure the lessons he has been taught from wrestling will help carry him through lifes ups and downs.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.