Merrillville Semi-State

devildog47959

Did you not see that every time he was "catching his breath" that he was using an inhaler? Maybe, just maybe, he has severe asthma. A minute into his ticket match he had to use the inhaler. You think he was gassed a minute into the match? Would you prefer we don't take injury time for kids who need to use an inhaler? You should think before you speak/type.

oh I  seen him ask for it, I'm sure everyone in the gym that was booing saw it as well. I've had kids on my team that had asthma, he looked more gased than anything.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh I  seen him ask for it, I'm sure everyone in the gym that was booing saw it as well. I've had kids on my team that had asthma, he looked more gased than anything.

As the father of an Asthmatic wrestler (not this one) I can tell you that is exactly how Asthmatics look when they need their inhalers (GASED).  If you had ever been to a match when that inhaler was not there you would speak/type more softly, take it from a father who has been there and had to rush his child from the mat to the hospital.

My son loves the sport and wouldn't quit (he is out now : lost at regional).  The inhaler allows people to participate who would not under other medical restrictions.

I say to Asthmatic wrestlers keep kicking butt and taking names.

Mitch Hartman almost quit wrestling 4 weeks ago.  He was tired of getting booed every time he needed to use his inhaler. He was tired of losing 1 point matches after leading the entire match (5 of 6 losses on year by 1 point).  He has found a new inhaler along with 1:30 to catch his "second wind" after the inhaler, he ends up having more gas in the 3rd than some of his opponents.  There is nothing illegal or unsportsmanlike about using an inhaler.  Mitch practices very hard, trains very hard, his drilling partner is 145 # Laquan Lunford (43-2)- he is not out of shape, no where close.

All I can ask is please think before booing a high school kid!

Congrats and good luck to the 2 other Mishawaka sectional 130 #'s that qualified for state!

Mitch Hartman almost quit wrestling 4 weeks ago.  He was tired of getting booed every time he needed to use his inhaler. He was tired of losing 1 point matches after leading the entire match (5 of 6 losses on year by 1 point).  He has found a new inhaler along with 1:30 to catch his "second wind" after the inhaler, he ends up having more gas in the 3rd than some of his opponents.  There is nothing illegal or unsportsmanlike about using an inhaler.  Mitch practices very hard, trains very hard, his drilling partner is 145 # Laquan Lunford (43-2)- he is not out of shape, no where close.

All I can ask is please think before booing a high school kid!

Congrats and good luck to the 2 other Mishawaka sectional 130 #'s that qualified for state!

thanks for the explanation that was a classy post. For the record I wasn't one of the ones that were booing.  I think everyone can see how frustrating it would be to be an opponent, especially one like chad miller whose style is non stop and makes his opponent wrestle for the full 6 min. Again thanks for the classy explanation and way about answering this post.

Well put Coach Hartman.  As a parent of a middle school wrestler with asthma, it can be a very maddening experience.  I've watched your son wrestle and can relate to what he's going through all too well.  I encourage him and thank him for raising awareness of a medical condition that can be very trying. 

Best wishes to him at state!

I understand how people can be upset about the stoppage of time, when two kids are battling out. At the same-time if a kids needs medical attention so be it. I will say one thing anyone who wrestles hartman, better be ready to go off the whistle after he recovers from his asthma attack. He is really quick off the whistle, and usually scores a take down when he comes back from stoppage.

I understand that asthma is a serious health issue.

However, some wrestlers who get boo'd have seemingly used the asthma issue to get a break at very key times of matches.

I have seen some matches against a certain asthmatic wrestler go over 14 minutes for just 3 periods of wrestling because of stoppages and stalling tactics like unhooking headgear and taking it off and slowly putting it back on. Coming EXTREMELY slowly back to the center of the mat on restarts, slowly adjusting knee pads.... all these things add huge amounts of time for a match. Worse, it seems to be a behavior learned and used by other non asthmatic teammates of a certain team in particular.

Referees need to keep the time strictly limited to injury time only and NOT allow delaying and stalling tactics that are used in this manner.

There are many wrestlers whose endurance is a key part of how they win a match... by exhausting their opponent.

IMO these stoppages put the wrestler who is conditioned for endurance at a severe disadvantage to wrestlers who continually get a break to recover, abuses the rules (calling for blood time when not bleeding) and use stalling tactics.

It might also be argued that the use of an inhaler and the drug boost could possibly give the asthmatic wrestler a short term advantage by allowing their body, for a short time, to absorb more oxygen then their opponent.

If a wrestler cannot finish a match without the use of a drug to continue then they should forfeit the match.

I understand that asthma is a serious health issue.

However, some wrestlers who get boo'd have seemingly used the asthma issue to get a break at very key times of matches.

I have seen some matches against a certain asthmatic wrestler go over 14 minutes for just 3 periods of wrestling because of stoppages and stalling tactics like unhooking headgear and taking it off and slowly putting it back on. Coming EXTREMELY slowly back to the center of the mat on restarts, slowly adjusting knee pads.... all these things add huge amounts of time for a match. Worse, it seems to be a behavior learned and used by other non asthmatic teammates of a certain team in particular.

Referees need to keep the time strictly limited to injury time only and NOT allow delaying and stalling tactics that are used in this manner.

There are many wrestlers whose endurance is a key part of how they win a match... by exhausting their opponent.

IMO these stoppages put the wrestler who is conditioned for endurance at a severe disadvantage to wrestlers who continually get a break to recover, abuses the rules (calling for blood time when not bleeding) and use stalling tactics.

It might also be argued that the use of an inhaler and the drug boost could possibly give the asthmatic wrestler a short term advantage by allowing their body, for a short time, to absorb more oxygen then their opponent.

So you're suggesting asthmatic wrestlers shouldn't be allowed to use their inhalers? You're a thinker. It takes a whole heck of a lot more than a "break to recover" to win the Merrillville semi state as a sophomore. Sounds like a case of sour grapes here. I hope Mitch Hartman raises that bracket and gold medal with a smile on his face Saturday night while people like you boo him.

So you're suggesting asthmatic wrestlers shouldn't be allowed to use their inhalers?

No, I would encourage them to use inhalers because it may save their life.

I don't think they should be allowed to continue the match if they need a drug (inhaler) to continue.

If a wrestler cannot finish a match without the use of a drug to continue, then they should forfeit the match.

No, I would encourage them to use inhalers because it may save their life.

I don't think they should be allowed to continue the match if they need a drug (inhaler) to continue.

If a wrestler cannot finish a match without the use of a drug to continue then they should forfeit the match.

Well, unfortunately for you, the rule book disagrees. As long as the use of the drug (inhaler) is used within the allotted time then they can continue. Maybe you should write the IHSAA if you're so concerned with the situation. It would probably be a little more constructive than booing a 16 year old kid.

Well, unfortunately for you, the rule book disagrees. As long as the use of the drug (inhaler) is used within the allotted time then they can continue.

Another option would be to treat it like a stoppage during a pinning combination - let the wrestler use his inhaler but then award the other wrestler 4 points.  ;D

"If a wrestler cannot finish a match without the use of a drug to continue, then they should forfeit the match."

Well, given the fact that asthma is considered a disability under law, and one that requires accomodation, good luck with that.  I guess this is one of those situations where you'd have to be impacted by it personally to understand how much these kids struggle sometimes to maintain a decent quality of life.  The wrestler you're referring to does not need to fake an attack, and I am quite confident he would much prefer to get through all of his matches every single time without the aid of an inhaler.  I find it hard to believe that any true asthmatic would fake such a thing,  as the ability to breathe is not something they take lightly.  Feel fortunate you can breathe.

My wrestler at 130 - Taylor Wisler - is the one who Mitch Hartman beat in the semi-state championship. 

Let me start by saying that Coach Hartman and his son are both class acts.  Losing that match was a tough one to take, but not because of a inhaler or anything like that.  It was because we were winning and gave up a late takedown.  For those people booing Mitch and calling for him to lose points or be DQ, think before you talk.  The kid is a sophomore with a very serious case of asthma.  Do you think he wants to have asthma?  Do you want to be the reason a great and talented wrestler stops wrestling?

I have coached against Mitch the past couple of years.  We have beat him a couple times and lost to him a couple times.  He and his father are ALWAYS class acts in victory and defeat.  This is not the type of kid we want to run out of wrestling.  It is NOT his fault he has asthma. 

Darrick Snyder

This is a ridiculous discussion. They should be allowed to get their inhaler and go back to wrestling. Brock Norton was allowed to get his juice because he was diabetic, I don't know of anyone whining that he did what he needed to to stay healthy.

On the flipside I have known people who used empty inhalers when they weren't asthmatic to just get a break. The coaches knew as well. As with all cases like this there will be the sleazy taking advantage of the system, don't punish everyone for them though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.