Sectional winning team pulling out of team regionals! (Coaches!)

HN Vikes

I mean overall popularity.  SOme places are really into the basketball.  OThers aren't.  My brother coaches is an assistant for one of the more successful programs in the state, and they never really got to many people in the stands.

I've always been surprised by the lack of popularity of baseball and softball.

Some regional wrestling meets will have low turnouts as well.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that in a proposal such as the one posted by Joe, you have a team sectional and an individual sectional.  They have nothing to do with each other.  Different times and different teams.  The individual sectional would be just as it is today.  No changes.  The team sectional would be held either during the week or on a first Saturday of the team series (which would run from Saturday to Saturday, for example).  Of course, the teams in a sectional would be of similar size based upon some class formula.  A four team sectional could take care of business in a weeknight while a six team sectional might be stretched a bit to do that.  The team regional would be pretty much as it is today, held during the week.  Team state would be a nice sized event.  Twice as big as what we have today.  Twice the teams should give twice the interest.

I personally like it the way it is now, but of course I'm from a bigger school.  However, if they

ever went to the class system it shouldn't be more then 2 classes.  Indiana isn't that big.  Put the

1,2 and 3 class schools in one tourney and the 4 and 5 class schools in  another.  I would bet that

Center Grove is packed to capacity this year.

LOL funny how we can go from ANY topic to class wrestling. It will always be an argument regardless of whether it does or does not happen. If it happens so be it however I would suggest if it ever does happen then they should do what all the other sports fail to due and that is have a tournament of champions. Crown each class champion then have them compete against each other the following week. Obviously this would make it more competitive as you would have the best of the best competing together. This way would also allow the small schools a shot at the big boys. Plus it would create more revenue as well. Just a thought.

LOL funny how we can go from ANY topic to class wrestling. It will always be an argument regardless of whether it does or does not happen. If it happens so be it however I would suggest if it ever does happen then they should do what all the other sports fail to due and that is have a tournament of champions. Crown each class champion then have them compete against each other the following week. Obviously this would make it more competitive as you would have the best of the best competing together. This way would also allow the small schools a shot at the big boys. Plus it would create more revenue as well. Just a thought.

They tried that with basketball and it wasn't quite the crowd-pleaser they thought it'd be.

If 30% of the state's wrestlers qualified then it would be a comparable example.  I doubt that anyone wants a 96 man bracket though.

So if we took the top 32 teams and held a 2-day event like the Al Smith, that would be an okay way to crown a team champion?

So if we took the top 32 teams and held a 2-day event like the Al Smith, that would be an okay way to crown a team champion?

Im not following you.  You mentioned that the NCAA crowns their team champion based on an individual tournament and no one complains.  Approximate 33% of all D1 wrestlers (starters) qualify for the tournament.  

To have a comparable system in high school, 33% of high school wrestlers would have to qualify.  That would be a minimum of 96 per bracket.  

If you are talking about dual team tournament like the national duals, you would have to bring 50 plus schools to be comparable

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.