Sectional winning team pulling out of team regionals! (Coaches!)

HN Vikes

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure I am in the minority, but I believe Eastern needs to do what is best for Eastern.  If this is what they deem is truly best for them, so be it.  

So the rest of the team tourney too bad?

Would a basketball team whose starters could not play with the flu forfeit regional? Would a football team who did not have their starters not compete forfeit regionals? We all know the answer.

When we only had one class of baskeball did the single a schools just throw in the towel when they knew they were going to get clobbered? We talk about the courage and dedication it takes to wrestle lets show it.

The real problem is many of the coaches and the IHSAA do not view this as a team sport. To me watching a close dual meet is the most exciting team sport in high school sports.

I know this doesn't matter but the Rensselaer Bombers who placed 2nd at Twin Lakes Sectionals would be honored to fill that spot.  But understand the 2nd place team from that sectional the will fill in for them  ;D

Would a basketball team whose starters could not play with the flu forfeit regional?

If half the team could win an individual basketball regional "one on one" title the next week, I believe they would.

Would a football team who did not have their starters not compete forfeit regionals?

If those starters could win an individual "punt pass and kick" regional three days later, I believe they would.

If those starters could win an individual "punt pass and kick" regional three days later, I believe they would

Oh no a football coach would not let them compete in the individual punt, pass, and kick if they didn't compete in the team tourney!

As much as I hate to see this happen and think it leaves a bit of a black eye on our sport, I have to agree with AJ and Rex that Eastern needs to do what is best for them and their situation.  A situation that most of us do not have an understanding about at this point.  Too many of us are way to judgemental on this board sometimes, including myself and we like to do it without all of the facts.

I do have a question.  If the team regional would get postponed until next week due to the weather, would Eastern be able to compete then?

I think the solutiuon, as a couple have mentioned, is have the 2nd place team from the sectional compete in their place.  Not the best situation, but a resonable solution.

So Eastern wants to pull out. Let Kokomo go to team regioanls. Ryan Wells has done wonders with that team the past couple of years. And I know that Kokomo will not lay down because someone says they are not suppose to win. If there was ever an underdog that could pull off an upset. So I say, Let Eastern take care of Eastern and let Kokomo take care of business. Go Luck Kokomo! I hope they let you compete.

As much as I hate to see this happen and think it leaves a bit of a black eye on our sport, I have to agree with AJ and Rex that Eastern needs to do what is best for them and their situation.  A situation that most of us do not have an understanding about at this point.  Too many of us are way to judgemental on this board sometimes, including myself and we like to do it without all of the facts.

I do have a question.  If the team regional would get postponed until next week due to the weather, would Eastern be able to compete then?

I think the solutiuon, as a couple have mentioned, is have the 2nd place team from the sectional compete in their place.  Not the best situation, but a resonable solution.

Great point.  There is a good chance that the weather will postpone the regionals.  The wrestlers should be cleared of staph by that point and the team should be able to compete.  If they choose not to compete at that point then it is a truely embarrassing situation for our sport.  This is bigger than eastern high school, it could potentially effect everyteam in our state, and wheather or not we have a true team champion.  If they only have 5 or 6 eligible wrestlers (which would mean they automatically lose) then they need to talk to Bobby Cox about a possible replacement for the team tournament.

Have to respecfully disagree, the issue is not what helps Eastern come Saturday. RESPECT THE SPORT & COMPETE TO THE BEST OF YOUR ABILITY & HONNOR YOUR COMMITMENT

I am not sure how I feel about this whole situation at this time but for the Huntington coach to pass judgement is unfair. It is easy to feel the way he does when the school takes in the whole county: 1915 students, half of which are likely boys. Eastern's enrollment is 469. Do the math. I took the 1915 divided by 469. Over 4 times as large. I think that if Eastern is down to 7 wrestlers from injury or sickness and all qualified for individual regional they should look to get healthy for their individual success. I do not know how Eastern's team is but they would have to be pretty stacked to even keep the score close to the other teams in the team regional. Again do the math: 6 forfeits equals 36 points and then they would seemingly have to win every match by fall. I think Eastern has thought long and hard about this whole situation, weighed their options, likely taken a team vote before they came to their final conclusion. What if the whole team came down with something then would they be excused. I am pretty sure a football team came down with a staff infection and had to forfeit some games. I guess I have come to my conclusion during this post. I agree with Coach Peck, the school, coach and AD have a responsibility to the kids as does the IHSAA. It can't always be about the money. Unethical? Transferring wrestlers at semester break? Mr. Cox's line in the sand is a bit skewed!!!  

In a normal year we could say put in the 2nd place team, move on with the event, and end of story.

However, as far as the team series goes this is not a normal year.  With the team series on the chopping block anything that disrupts the events is a clear sign of why the IHSAA doesn't think we need it.  Yes, in a regular year Eastern needs to do what is best for their team.  But again this isn't a regular year and even they may not have realize this would shake things up for the future of team state.  Other teams have wrestled dual meets giving up multiple FF for a variety of reason, so its not like it couldn't happen here with what member are left while explaining the situation by saying the rest are out hurt/sick.  While it may be what helps this years squad the side effect is that is will more than likely take a chance away from future squads.  I hope the wrestlers are able to work through any illness (it is a bad year for it) and injury and can continue to compete.  However, I fear the even if Eastern could come back and compete in team Regionals the damage has already been done by letting Mr. Cox know that a team wasn't going to show up for any type of reason.  Out of all the years of the event this one is the one that had to be near perfect for those that want to prove its worth hold on to team state.  

I still think the only way to fix the real problem, is to stop this charade of an idea that beginning a team tournament with an individual is a good idea.

If you want to prevent things like this, you have to completely separate the individual and the team tournament.

Shorten the regular season by a week, wrestle a tuesday-thursday-saturday dual tournament and crown a sectional champion.

I am sure I am in the minority, but I believe Eastern needs to do what is best for Eastern.  If this is what they deem is truly best for them, so be it. 

I think this type of philosophy gets you started down the same path that gets people to throw matches at regional after they've learned the semi-state draw.  Or having someone take a dive after an illegal move when they are capable of continuing.

Sometimes the integrity of the sport has to be put first.

I still think the only way to fix the real problem, is to stop this charade of an idea that beginning a team tournament with an individual is a good idea.

If you want to prevent things like this, you have to completely separate the individual and the team tournament.

Shorten the regular season by a week, wrestle a tuesday-thursday-saturday dual tournament and crown a sectional champion.

And... we have a winner. Obviously not all coaches believe that the team tournament in it's current format is worth saving. Again -- if one team can have as much impact on the team tournament as some of you think, then it was certainly destined to be discontinued either way.

I like this idea better every time I hear/read it. 

I am not sure how I feel about this whole situation at this time but for the Huntington coach to pass judgement is unfair. It is easy to feel the way he does when the school takes in the whole county: 1915 students, half of which are likely boys. Eastern's enrollment is 469. Do the math. I took the 1915 divided by 469. Over 4 times as large. I think that if Eastern is down to 7 wrestlers from injury or sickness and all qualified for individual regional they should look to get healthy for their individual success. I do not know how Eastern's team is but they would have to be pretty stacked to even keep the score close to the other teams in the team regional. Again do the math: 6 forfeits equals 36 points and then they would seemingly have to win every match by fall. I think Eastern has thought long and hard about this whole situation, weighed their options, likely taken a team vote before they came to their final conclusion. What if the whole team came down with something then would they be excused. I am pretty sure a football team came down with a staff infection and had to forfeit some games. I guess I have come to my conclusion during this post. I agree with Coach Peck, the school, coach and AD have a responsibility to the kids as does the IHSAA. It can't always be about the money. Unethical? Transferring wrestlers at semester break? Mr. Cox's line in the sand is a bit skewed!!!  

I think you must have misread the 2 posts from the Huntington coach because at no point does he pass judgment on the team, coach or program at Eastern.  It is quite apparent that his concern is the possible demise of the team state tournament.

last time i checked eastern had one kid with staph, one out for the season with an injury, and one received a concussion at sectionals. the one with staph also wrestled at sectionals. this really leaves a black mark on eastern's program not wanting to participate in the team state series. hopefully people realize that this was a coaching decision and not the athletes. for the most part it is my understanding that most of the athletes involved would be honored to participate in the team state series. i am in full agreement with whoever said the ones that choose not to go to team regionals,let there alternates wrestle at individual regionals. my only hope is that people dont think poorly of the eastern high school athletes just because of poor decisions by a coaching staff that is hopefully not supported by the athletic dir. or the administration!

last time i checked eastern had one kid with staph, one out for the season with an injury, and one received a concussion at sectionals. the one with staph also wrestled at sectionals. this really leaves a black mark on eastern's program not wanting to participate in the team state series. hopefully people realize that this was a coaching decision and not the athletes. for the most part it is my understanding that most of the athletes involved would be honored to participate in the team state series. i am in full agreement with whoever said the ones that choose not to go to team regionals,let there alternates wrestle at individual regionals. my only hope is that people dont think poorly of the eastern high school athletes just because of poor decisions by a coaching staff that is hopefully not supported by the athletic dir. or the administration!

-100 % agree with you. Terrible coaching decision, and im sure there was no team vote as previously mentioned by someone..just coaches who are making a school and sport look bad.

Bobby Cox's argument about Team State having run it's course is incorrect.  What Eastern's dropping out of Team Regional shows more than anything else is that we need Sectional realignment.  Their Sectional is obviously too weak if a team with only 7 healthy wrestlers can win it. 

I think Pennsylvania does something close to this. Not sure if it is classed or not.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.