WINNING AT ALL COST!

brian103

I do not think anyone is holding anything against the young man. I have not heard many remarks about him personally, but about the powers that be. I remember the Wesley English situation where he was not allowed to transfer. I struggle with the inconsistant nature of when it is allowed and when it is not. The thing I find disturbing is that the 140 JayCounty wrestler was denied the preivledge of attending a better school for his academic future :-X

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I find disturbing is that the 140 JayCounty wrestler was denied the preivledge of attending a better school for his academic future :-X

He wasn't denied the privilege of attending Yorktown, he was just denied the privilege of wrestling for them.  If he was truly transferring for the purpose of academics he would have stayed there and not wrestled as a senior. 

A couple of thoughts to throw out at the crowd:

1.  Are transferring of athletes really becoming more common or are we hearing about it more since we have a great discussion forum?  I have seen no data and only what amounts to gut feels and/or total guesses.

2.  This issue has little affect on the vast majority of wrestlers and programs.

3.  Transferring for athletic reasons is not more or less ethical than transferring for academic reasons, because the grass is greener, or because you want to go to school closer to your favorite McDonalds.  This has nothing to do with ethics and morals so long as there is nothing crazy like monetary compensation taking place.  Everyone has the right to make changes in their environment to improve their personal situation so long as they do so without doing harm to others (basic 10 Commandments type stuff, don't steal, don't kill, etc.).

A couple of thoughts to throw out at the crowd:

1.  Are transferring of athletes really becoming more common or are we hearing about it more since we have a great discussion forum?  I have seen no data and only what amounts to gut feels and/or total guesses.

2.  This issue has little affect on the vast majority of wrestlers and programs.

3.  Transferring for athletic reasons is not more or less ethical than transferring for academic reasons, because the grass is greener, or because you want to go to school closer to your favorite McDonalds.  This has nothing to do with ethics and morals so long as there is nothing crazy like monetary compensation taking place.  Everyone has the right to make changes in their environment to improve their personal situation so long as they do so without doing harm to others (basic 10 Commandments type stuff, don't steal, don't kill, etc.).

One of the most thought out responses yet, thanks.

No one is questioning the kid's ethics.  And the IHSAA surely does see an issue with transferring for athletic reasons.

Can you imagine the uproar if the kid from Franklin would have transferred to Mater Dei, Cathedral or Roncalli?  There would be a riot at IHSAA's office and call for a second tournament for the "cheating" private or parochial high schools.  There would be articles in the local paper.

It's amazing to me how little scrutiny the successful public schools get when it comes to attracting "students" from other districts (i.e. Lawrence North - basketball, Warren Central - football 2000's, Ben Davis - football 1990's, Carmel - girl's swimming, etc., etc.).  I'm glad to see some attention paid to this matter.

Mishawaka has received quite a bit of scrutiny over the past couple of years for the amount of move-ins they have received who happened to be good wrestlers.  

Are transferring of athletes really becoming more common or are we hearing about it more since we have a great discussion forum?  I have seen no data and only what amounts to gut feels and/or total guesses.

Didn't a kid named Hardy transfer like three times in the same year.... Beech Grove, South Vermillion Princeton?  

Can you imaging the hype on the board that one would've gotten....am I wrong?!?

Didn't a kid named Hardy transfer like three times in the same year.... Beech Grove, South Vermillion Princeton? 

Can you imaging the hype on the board that one would've gotten....am I wrong?!?

someone transferring to South Vermillion might just shut down the site.

I have been reading this thread since it first came out and need to say a few things.  I am the mother of the 140 lb wrestler that has been wrestling varsity all season for Yorktown with the exception of when he broke his ribs.  My son came to Yorktown in the 3rd grade because his father and I felt that Yorktown was the better school system for where we live.  As far as this situation goes, I do not have all the information on the tranferring of the student from Franklin, nor is it any of my or anyone else's business.  The attacks on Yorktown and the coaches that I am reading are absurd.  If anyone should be having a fit and slandering someone it should be me... but you don't see that.  I have been supporting Yorktown, the coaches, and the entire team all season (and years previous) and will continue to do so!!! You will see me in the stands this weekend, next week, clear up until team state is over supporting them.  This needs to stop... it doesn't concern anyone else so leave it alone.

Everyone wants to talk about ethics and morals... but yet you sit here and bash a 17-year-old child... hmmm....

And just to set the record straight that we can now beat Bellmont with the new addition... check out the results from the Peru Duals... Yorktown already beat Bellmont with 2 forfeits at that... so that is not an issue either.

Karl, do I detect some sarcasm?  It could happen.  Even though its no Malibu...

a little...but let's also not forget--let's not forget, Dude--that keeping wildlife, an amphibious rodent, for uh, domestic, you know, within the city--that isn't legal either.

GO YORKTOWN!!  I hope they are behind by two heading into the 140 pound match at team state and this kid wins... and they win.  Great coaches develop talent, and these coaches have developed talent in their area for years, some of them have went to other schools and won and made those coaches look good, when in reality it was the work that the wrestlers did at the Yorktown club that resulted in them winning state championships.  Say what you want, coaches have benefitted from the hard work and dedication that Y0rktown coaches have done.  So big deal, the kid is there, he is wrestling get over it and worry about the things you can actually control, like dedicating yourself to developing kids year round. 

Could you imagine the kind of stink that would be produced if the above scenario would actually happen?

I believe with what happened with these 3 they should of been out atleast for this season. Yorktown is going to do whatever it takes to be better the Delainy Way! hat sucks for the kid thats been wrestling that weight all season Did that boy get to wrestle off for the spot?

I have been reading this thread since it first came out and need to say a few things.  I am the mother of the 140 lb wrestler that has been wrestling varsity all season for Yorktown with the exception of when he broke his ribs.  My son came to Yorktown in the 3rd grade because his father and I felt that Yorktown was the better school system for where we live.  As far as this situation goes, I do not have all the information on the tranferring of the student from Franklin, nor is it any of my or anyone else's business.  The attacks on Yorktown and the coaches that I am reading are absurd.  If anyone should be having a fit and slandering someone it should be me... but you don't see that.  I have been supporting Yorktown, the coaches, and the entire team all season (and years previous) and will continue to do so!!! You will see me in the stands this weekend, next week, clear up until team state is over supporting them.  This needs to stop... it doesn't concern anyone else so leave it alone.

Everyone wants to talk about ethics and morals... but yet you sit here and bash a 17-year-old child... hmmm....

And just to set the record straight that we can now beat Bellmont with the new addition... check out the results from the Peru Duals... Yorktown already beat Bellmont with 2 forfeits at that... so that is not an issue either.

I was waiting for this one to drop. I thought it might take a couple of days though.Thanks for the insight. Is your son ok with all this? Seems he would be little upset. Is the back-up wrestler ok with this? Or is  it a case of sorry kid you just are not good enough?

I have always thought a forum was designed to be a marketplace for ideas.  It appears that, yet again, some are misusing the message board in search of the truth.  Unfortunately, our insatiable appetite for information does not entitle us to the truth.  Save myself and tkdwn2, I am almost certain most others who have shared information here don?t know all the facts in this case.  And frankly, it?s not anyone else?s business.  I sleep well knowing this is far less about wrestling and more about what is both right and fair to a 17-year-old young man.

We have always played fast and loose with the truth on this message board.  My own son, if only by innuendo, has also been included in these inane recruiting accusations.  The simple truth is we selected Yorktown High School for purely academic reasons (i.e. Newsweek?s 2010 Best High Schools).  Because my son happens to be a talented wrestler, everyone assumes he was recruited.  The reality is that he is a far better student than wrestler.  We left a school district with a 57 percent graduation rate, and have lived in the same home for over 20 years.  We also live half again closer to Yorktown High School than our home district?s high school option.  The educational opportunities at Yorktown are unparalleled in East Central Indiana.  That?s not recruitment folks, that's just plain good sense.

I have labored for 25 years in a profession where I am expected to solve other people?s problems, and the only truism I can offer is that there are always two sides to the story, and that is certainly the case here.  

Not that you don't have a point here about Yorktowns academics, but you missed the WHOLE REAL point of this thread.  The kid can't wrestle the remainder of the season for Franklin, and now suddenly he is wrestling for Yorktown one week before the sectionals.  Did the Yorktown coach throw out ethics and loyalty for wins?  I believe that is the message I got from the very first post.

Seriously Karl,

If she's not griping about it, why would anyone else?

At my school my junior year we had a transfer come in at Christmas.  He was better than the guy we had, and he was the varsity wrestler.  MTVs comments are very sound.

People going on here bashing on the YT coach's when they know darn good and well they are not allowed to say anything are exhibiting self-righteos, cowardly behavior and they know it.  Stop doing it.  It is classless.

That is what gets me so fired up about this situation.  It's like poking a dog through a fence.

It is reprehensible to attack people who cannot (are not allowed in this case) defend themselves.

Nick Antey

My guess is that people find this situation ethically suspect and that is probably the reason they are commenting on it. 

If anything posters are saying is untrue and potentially libelous, let Y2 know and my guess is he will take the post off.

The Yorktown staff does not have a gag order that I am aware of.

The kid can't wrestle the remainder of the season for Franklin, and now suddenly he is wrestling for Yorktown one week before the sectionals. 

From what I had gathered, he could have wrestled for Franklin after serving the suspension.

The information here is that they were out for the season.  If someone knows something more factual, I'd like to hear it.

The information where?  From everything I have heard, the Yorktown transfer has served out his suspension.

Karl school officials are never allowed to discuss the alleged, proven, suspected, etc. anything about any students.  You didn't know that?  I'm not for taking stuff down.  I just think that people who continue to attack here are just revealing their lack of character. 

People whine about the kid that lost the spot, and his Mom comes on and says basically that he got beat fair and square.  Some of these guys I guess are saying Coach Delaney called the Van Horn kid and begged him to come to YT.  Did the Florida coach call the other kid?  You can tell some of these posters are jealous of Yorktown's success.  It shows through quite obviously.

I can't stand the way Delaney says "nice work", but I can tell that the kids seem to want to work for him and Coach McCormick.  They put ona "Middle School State" or whatever advertised on the website.  THey take their kids to the Disney Duels.  What are the rest of you doing for your programs who are griping.  Do you Dads volunteer as much as apparantly YT people volunteer?  It is a lot of sacrifice to do what these two men do for their programs.  THey do wear jeans though.

I pointed out that Delaney was voted AC of the Year and someone says it was only a small committee that voted for him.  I way that McCormick is the VP of the coach's association, well again a committee or the coach's are duped by these dastardly geniuses of evil. 

I don't think people have asked for them to comment on the kid's particular circumstances.  It is the perceived ethics involved in trying to find a stud 140 lber that people have questioned.

I guess we all perceive things differently but I just don't see the jealousy that you seem to say is dripping from these responses.  I get the sense that people or more disappointed than angry or jealous.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.