Disqualification Mystery... state finals

Zen_Wrestler

In '89-90, the runner-up at 103 from Evansville Harrison and the 3rd place finisher at 112 from Southridge practiced together the week before the state tournament.  This constituted a violation of IHSAA rules and both wrestlers were forced to give up their places.

This was a fairly common practice back in the 70's and 80's (at least down here in sw IN).  There was no one else from either team who qualified for state, so the two coaches got together with their wrestlers so each would have a competitive drill partner.  

Also, Devon Nelson of Mishawaka was pinned by Eric Early of Ft. Wayne Northside in the '90-'91 state finals.  He was also pinned in the 103 state finals by Jason Terry of Cathedral in '91-92.  I don't know why the DQ was issued in '92.

Both DQ's in '89-'90 were issued after the matches had been wrestled so the same thing could have happened to Nelson in '92.

The only time I know of where a DQ took place in an actual match during the finals was in '74 when both wrestlers in the championship at 177 were DQed for stalling in overtime.

I'm almost positive Nelson wasn't DQ'd afterwards either.  I've never heard anything about it, and if he had been, wouldn't the team points have been deducted?  That's the year Mishawaka won, and according to the record books, the team score has never changed since that day.

I'm almost positive Nelson wasn't DQ'd afterwards either.  I've never heard anything about it, and if he had been, wouldn't the team points have been deducted?  That's the year Mishawaka won, and according to the record books, the team score has never changed since that day.

Can any Mishawaka historians shed some light on this conundrum?

Can any Mishawaka historians shed some light on this conundrum?

I am one.  Went to school with Devon and still see him around, I was there at Market Square.  Everybody agrees, he wasn't DQ'd during the match.  EVERY record available, other than the IHSAA website, has no reflection of any DQ.  I actually emailed the Ancient Elder after I received his first book, which reflected the same stat as the IHSAA.  He could not find anything regarding that match other than the IHSAA records.  I really think there was just an input error, with the other DQ from 89 being so close.

I believe I remember sitting around the ol laptop to hear an Ancient Elder story about state finals & DQ's. I think his story told of two wrestlers who were "double-stalled DQ'd" out of their match. I'm not sure if it was a finals match or what have you.

TAE, can you clear up the haze I've created?

I believe I remember sitting around the ol laptop to hear an Ancient Elder story about state finals & DQ's. I think his story told of two wrestlers who were "double-stalled DQ'd" out of their match. I'm not sure if it was a finals match or what have you.

If you look at theckman's post from 8 hours before your post you will see the answer to your question.

Was Matt Fisch reffing the match?  :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.