How did that North Central Wrestler make it through Skin Check?

Has anyone else seen the article about the North Central Wrestler and the huge open wound on his head?    Almost lost my lunch looking at that.

How did he pass skin check? 

Check out fox59.com

http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-mom-claims-son-got-severe-stap-01172011,0,1993738.story

"Wrestling mats at North Central are routinely sanitized after all practices and all meets, which is the standard procedure. Further, athletic trainers carefully monitor all student athletes, and recommend medical care when appropriate."

Maybe I'm missing something here, but shouldn't the mats be "routinely sanitized" BEFORE all practices & meets?

"Wrestling mats at North Central are routinely sanitized after all practices and all meets, which is the standard procedure. Further, athletic trainers carefully monitor all student athletes, and recommend medical care when appropriate."

Maybe I'm missing something here, but shouldn't the mats be "routinely sanitized" BEFORE all practices & meets?

I Thought So Too And Thats Sick, Never Seen It That Bad Wow And How Did He Pass Skin Check(Ref Must Have Been Blind)

Has anyone else seen the article about the North Central Wrestler and the huge open wound on his head?    Almost lost my lunch looking at that.

How did he pass skin check? 

Check out fox59.com

He didn't, he stopped when symptoms began.  The story is how did his practice partner pass the skin test?  According to the wrestler in the story (and his mother), his practice partner had symptoms (blistered wounds) for several days.

General question about when to sanitize...

If you sanitize mats after each practice/meet, aren't they then in effect sanitized "before" the next meet/practice?  Does it matter if it was immediately "after", then put away and brought out for use?  Or is it best to sanitize immediately prior to use?

I could see making a case for either.  If you sanitize immediately after use, then you don't allow bad stuff to grow.  However, you might have mised a small bit and that could grow while sitting and waiting for next use.

Alternatively, if you wait to sanitize until just before the next use you allow bad stuff to grow, thereby potentially making it more likely to have it more widespread and more of it to potentially miss when sanitizing (seems that the seams would be especially vulnerable for growing stuff and hardest to clean thoroughly.

What do most teams do?  Before or after use?  Do teams sometimes do both before and after?

Having had infections myself I feel bad for this wrestler.  All schools are or should be taking all precautions they can in order keep their wrestlers from getting any one of many skin diseases.  We need to put some responsibility on the wrestlers and in order to do this we need to properly educate then on what to watch for instead of ignoring the symptoms.all it takes is one wrestler to get infected before there is a major outbreak.

With that being said, I do have some information that can help schools clean and disinfect their wrestling rooms as well as their locker rooms and equipment. I am currently a high school and collegiate official so I want to help as much as I can. Please pm me if you want more information for this.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.