Mid Season Transfer

littlevito

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Van Horn to Yorktown, Knura to Lowell..

I'm hearing Van Horn may be eligible right away, but Knura could have to wait until next season to be eligible

Yorktown, Lowell, and Florida - those are long distance moves.  It is not like they are transferring to Center Grove, Whiteland or Roncalli.  Sounds like family employment decisions.

So what you are saying is that a kid's Dad or Mom choosing to move for a job or whatever should disqualify a high school student from participating in athletics?  Why?

Somehow these specific moves do not look like they are due to their parents accepting a new job.  One kid is allegedly moving to a top 10 school and filling a hole they have in their lineup.  That seems very fishy to me.

So what you are saying is that a kid's Dad or Mom choosing to move for a job or whatever should disqualify a high school student from participating in athletics?  Why?

I don't think that is what he is saying at all.  There is much more to this story that infowrestling probably has heard about but is classy enough to not post.

Wasn't they both already suspended for the season for athletic code violation? Thought that had been brought up in another post. If so and I'm not saying it is, can they be eligible at another school?

Yes they were suspended due to an athletic code violation.  They can be eligible if the other school decides not to honor that suspension.  From my experience most schools would honor that suspension.

Hypothetically, if an athlete is suspended at one school and transfers to another school, the receiving school will honor the previous school's suspension.

If the transfer is for athletics, the IHSAA has jurisdiction.

If it is a hardship case as determined by both school principals, the athlete can be eligible.

There are many reasons.  In college scholarship money is involved (albeit not much in wrestling).  High school attendence is compulsory and high school athlectics is offered to supplement that cumpulsory education.  Practically all high school students are minors with no legal authority over where they live or what school they attend.

In short, college is different than high school.

To me, it seems like many of the things you listed above are reasons why the IHSAA SHOULD be involved in such situations, not why they should not. But that's just my opinion.

If a student is on suspension at one school, and then mid-season transfers to another school, I would think that the IHSAA should look into the transfer, because on the face of it, that situation seems to lead to the belief that the move is happening for athletic reasons (especially if the student resumes his season at the new school with no consequences). If there is nothing to hide, and the moves are happening for employment, hardship, or whatever reason, then there should be nothing to fear from the IHSAA.

I read a rather lengthy post yesterday about giving these kids a break, and forgiving their indiscretions, and while I agree with most of what was said, there is also something to be said for making these student athletes face the consequences of their choices.  If these moves are directly related to consequence-avoidance, it sends the wrong message to the rest of the student-athletes, in any sport, across the state.  

We spend their whole wrestling careers telling our children about the guts, determination, discipline, sportsmanship, performance, and sacrifice that it takes to be a wrestler.  We chastise them for their weight and constantly push them to go harder, be better.   Everyday in their wrestling room, they learn the punishment for getting pinned, poor performance, gassing - and they pay the price.  We hold them to a higher standard, but that shouldn't only be on the mats. If these transfers are due to running from consequences, all I can say is, Man up boys, life doesn't get any easier.

Insert Quote

If a student is on suspension at one school, and then mid-season transfers to another school, I would think that the IHSAA should look into the transfer, because on the face of it, that situation seems to lead to the belief that the move is happening for athletic reasons (especially if the student resumes his season at the new school with no consequences). If there is nothing to hide, and the moves are happening for employment, hardship, or whatever reason, then there should be nothing to fear from the IHSAA.

I read a rather lengthy post yesterday about giving these kids a break, and forgiving their indiscretions, and while I agree with most of what was said, there is also something to be said for making these student athletes face the consequences of their choices.  If these moves are directly related to consequence-avoidance, it sends the wrong message to the rest of the student-athletes, in any sport, across the state.  

We spend their whole wrestling careers telling our children about the guts, determination, discipline, sportsmanship, performance, and sacrifice that it takes to be a wrestler.  We chastise them for their weight and constantly push them to go harder, be better.   Everyday in their wrestling room, they learn the punishment for getting pinned, poor performance, gassing - and they pay the price.  We hold them to a higher standard, but that shouldn't only be on the mats. If these transfers are due to running from consequences, all I can say is, Man  up boys, life doesn't get any easier.  

Posted on: Today at 08:06:36 AMPosted by: nickster90  

TRUE, very well said

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.