Doing Questionable Things to Win a Match

cementmixer

I'm not going to reveal who it was or what team they represent or even what tournement it was at (because everyone did such a great job and should be commended for the hard work to make these high school tourny's happen) - so many good things could be said, so I'm not going to disparage the good things.

but today I saw a wrestler cross the line. Not one, but two wrestlers from different teams complained about this particular wrestler who was sticking his fingers up their a$$ in their close matches with him. I actually witnessed it from where I was sitting on the bleachers.

Both wrestlers were hot over the issue (as they should have been). A one time occurence, and we all know, that kind of thing does and will happen (I would hope inadvertently). But it's wrestling, so we expect it. But when it happens twice in the same day at the same tournement only a few rounds apart, somethings up guys.

Coaches, tell your guys to keep it clean (no pun intended). It's a really low way to wrestle at best and sexual assault at worst. We've all seen people use ways to gain an edge. But that's off-limits fellas. Clean it up!

I too think that its suddenly starting to get dirty out on the mat.  I will not say who or where this was, but today I witnessed several dirty moves.  I saw on more than one occasion a kid throw punches after the whistle was blown and nothing was done except be given a verbal warning.  I also witnessed several kids from the same school start acting hurt anytime they needed a chance to catch their breath.  To me this is unsportsmanship behavior and the state needs to tell refs to come down on these types before a student gets hurt from this mess

Ok, I have seen "grasping" called and the accompanying hand signal and how the offending wrestler looked and must have felt as the ref called it. What is the hand signal by a ref for "checking the oil". Not sure why a kid would want to do this, but if it is seen, it should be a very graphic display by the ref so that everyone in the gym knows where you just put your fingers. The embarrassment alone might cause the kids to stop doing it.

To stop this problem before the ref raises the hand of the winner the ref should smell the wrestlers fingers and if everything checks out ok then he can raise the winners hand , if it doesn't smell right then the other wrestler wins . I know a few refs that would probably be good candidates for this job .

If you can not win without cheating you do not deserve to be on the mat. It is the coachs reponsibility to teach their wrestlers right from wrong when on the wrestling mat. My theory is that someone down the line had to teach them these things, "grasping" or checking someones oil. Both are disgusting. Coachs step up and stop teaching kids to wrestle  dirty (no PUN intended). Learning to do the wrongs things now only leads to doing the wrong things later in life.

Ok, I have seen "grasping" called and the accompanying hand signal and how the offending wrestler looked and must have felt as the ref called it. What is the hand signal by a ref for "checking the oil". Not sure why a kid would want to do this, but if it is seen, it should be a very graphic display by the ref so that everyone in the gym knows where you just put your fingers. The embarrassment alone might cause the kids to stop doing it.

Just the fact that there is a name for it, (Checking the oil) and this is not the first time I have heard it referred to as such, makes me wonder.  Obviously someone is coaching it as an acceptable option for getting a grip on your opponent.  Or is it just something that the kids have come up with on their own.  Either way someone needs to address it!

seen guys last week pulling fingers all the way back and head butting

Head butting is such a tough call to make, some call it tough wrestling, others call it brutality. But whatever you call it, get used to it, you see it alot at the next level.

As far as checking the oil, that is something that does need to be stopped. If for no other reason then it has to be both painful, and unsanitary to say the least.

I personally love to see a "class-act". the guy steps out on the mat. He's ready. Hard snap downs, light-on-the-feet, focused, quick, agile, composed, but totally engaged. He never quits and will not roll-over, regardless of "questionable moves" to win a match or who decides to engage his "back-side."

By the same token, in that same tourny last weekend, where I saw the "classless" wrestler pulling the "dirty deed", I saw a couple of state ranked wrestlers get on the mat and they were a thing of beauty. They were all of the above and more. They were composed, so in control, and smooth - with incredible body awareness. This is what i'm talking about guys.

Class acts! You boys weren't wrestling for the team I was cheering for, but you can bet I'll be cheering for you at the next levels. Thanks for representing this great sport with such beauty and grace.

And, I think I'll pass on "girls basketball at the gym" next time these boys throw it down.

Oh...and one other thing... the team i was cheering for, has some great class-acts too. I will always be in your corner boys. Wrestling with strength and honor, no matter what... Some of you will be state-ranked someday, quite possibly this year... I will cheer for you every step of the way, but take the high-road... leave the "low life approach" behind...

And you don't have to win every match! Just reprsent well and walk off that mat with the sense that I put some great stuff together and can hold my head high. That's what I'm talking about. Strenth and Honor and Respect to you men.

Not sure I've seen "checking the oil" as a purposeful move ever but have been to national tourney's with my sons and obsereved OH and PA kids taking liberties with the rules.  My son once had a deep cradle sunk and as soon as the ref' was out of position, the kid grabbed and bent my kids fingers back, breaking the hold.  OH and PA kids run the legs and get right to the edge of choking.  Etc., etc.  Seems like IN kids, in general, wrestle by the rules and I appreciate that but things change at the national level.  Maybe IN kids are just coming around to these dirty moves but I sure hope not.  Stay clean Indiana.  Don't fall into the trap of "if you're not cheating you're not trying."

I agree with many of the comments about "checking the oil" being a dirty & classless move.

Sometimes one's view of dirty vs. clean has to with the region you live in.  For instances, in Illinois they go crazy about the neck-wrench in a really bad way. You have a kid run a neck-wrench in Illinois and the ref might DQ him.  The crowd will boo and the opposition will act like your wrestler punched a guy or something. It's just ingrained into their Illinois wrestling culture neckwrench=murder.

Yet, in Indiana we let guys neck-wrench like there is no tomorrow.  I've never seen a ref call anything on a neck-wrench in over 10 years of coaching in Indiana.  And nobody in Indiana views the neck-wrench as "dirty."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.