Wrestling program being dissolved mid-season

WingMan

Small school in central Indiana is facing their high school program being dissolved mid-season.  There is one wrestler there who has made it to semi-state last year and my question is this...Does anyone on this forum know the IHSAA rules for a wrestler to compete for another school?  What are his options as he is now the only eligible wrestler on the team.  What does it take for him to be allowed to go to another school and (1) practice or (2) actually compete for a team this late in the season.

Seriously looking for options here, appreciate anyone's advice.

I doubt the IHSAA would allow him to compete for another school but hopefully they'll allow him to compete as an individual at his schools conference tourney and also in the State Tournament Series. He would have to make sure he had his qualifying weigh ins and also follow his weight management program too. Hopefully the Ihsaa will let him participate.

Different state but I know of this situation working in Kentucky.  Wrestler for Kentucky Country Day school who travels with St. Xavier and participates when hes able to after their team duals. 

He also enters tournaments as a team of 1.  He practices travels with St. X.  Won the Ev. Memorial tournament earlier this year and finished 2nd at MD Holiday Classic.

While I was attending Ball State I know a small group of swimmers from Muncie Burris had to do this because their school did not field an official team.  Some of the information posted about about having to participate under your own school is correct.  I would say checking with Burris on what they had to do may be the best step to finding out what can be done here.

I know of schools which had 1 or 2 wrestlers in the past and the wrestlers entered tournaments under their school name and wrestled in duals by "merging" with other schools.  I believe that Indiana Blind and Blue River did this last season.

I'm confused as to why they would dissolve the program mid-season.  Is he the ONLY wrestler at the school, or the only one who has significantly advanced in the state tournament series?  If he is the only wrestler, and he wants to continue, I feel confident that the IHSAA will allow him to practice with another team and continue to represent his school...however...if the school does dissolve the program, it will, technically, no longer have an IHSAA sanctioned wrestling team...so how will that be handled? 

Other individual sports do this, Garrett had a state placer in swimming about 5 years ago and we didn't have a swim team.  The girl practiced with a local school and entered events under the Garrett team.  The only problem was the school did not pay for uniforms, travel, etc.  Her "coach" was her mom that took her everywhere.

I would contact the IHSAA for more specifics and how to make sure everything is fine and dandy.  As long as you dot your i's and cross your t's, this young man will be able to make a run in the state series.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.