Two weeks until Mater Dei Reitz meet

catmancool

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the mid 90's Moe was pretty big, not fat but pretty well built for a 40 year old.  

That's how I remembered him until he did the Ev. Central sectional a couple of years ago.  In fact, when he told me who he was, I didn't believe him.  Said he lost a lot of weight.

id like to point out the 112 match ( Johns against Goebel). I thought that Goebel was gonna pick part Johns even though they were both good wrestlers. But i will give Johns credit, he put up one heck of a fight, and for a little bit i thought he might b able to pull out the win, lookin forward to watchin these 2 wrestle at Sectionals, SIAC, Regionals and so on if they meet in SS

id like to point out the 112 match ( Johns against Goebel). I thought that Goebel was gonna pick part Johns even though they were both good wrestlers. But i will give Johns credit, he put up one heck of a fight, and for a little bit i thought he might b able to pull out the win, lookin forward to watchin these 2 wrestle at Sectionals, SIAC, Regionals and so on if they meet in SS

I agree... i thought it was a great match.  Johns gave up one take down (tip) and couldn't roll out and Goebel scored 5.  Johns scored the first takedown and a reversal in the third.  I think these two are pretty evenly matched.  Just thinking of SIAC, sectionals, etc gets me fired up.

While it was a good meet and I was happy with the outcome, I thought wrestlers on both teams were wrestling a little conservatively.  That's understandable considering the rivalry and all, but I think both sides could have opened up a bit more.  I understand that in a close match you may shut it down a little trying not to give up some cheap points or if you are outmatched you don't want to give up bonus points.  I saw lots of riding without too many legit attempts at turns.  Now, I think several of the match ups are very even and I think that was a big reason for it.  Hopefully if they meet up again they'll open up their offenses a bit more.

In one match the Reitz wrestler was down 2 with time running out, but instead of pushing the action looking for a takedown, he got hit for a second stall and ended up losing by 3.  How can you let that happen?

While it was a good meet and I was happy with the outcome, I thought wrestlers on both teams were wrestling a little conservatively.  That's understandable considering the rivalry and all, but I think both sides could have opened up a bit more.  I understand that in a close match you may shut it down a little trying not to give up some cheap points or if you are outmatched you don't want to give up bonus points.  I saw lots of riding without too many legit attempts at turns.  Now, I think several of the match ups are very even and I think that was a big reason for it.  Hopefully if they meet up again they'll open up their offenses a bit more.

In one match the Reitz wrestler was down 2 with time running out, but instead of pushing the action looking for a takedown, he got hit for a second stall and ended up losing by 3.  How can you let that happen?

I agree very conservitive I was saying the same thing to my wife.

I was disapointed overall with the outcome.  However, now that I've had time to reflect - I had more good takeaways than bad.  

Random thoughts:

-  Great atmosphere with a huge crowd and relatively polite for a MD/Reitz gig

-  I thought the ref did a good job overall and had just a few of the typical subjective Stalling, Stalemate, Fleeing situations.  

-  I thought Schapker did his job against VanWinkle as Lannert did against Reuger.  

-  Moody / Henderson & Schroeder / Dowdy were battles as expected.  

-  Johns needed just a little more time to recover from a mistake / great move by Goebel.  Johns will be a factor come tournament time.

-  King looks good and healthy.  I like his attitude and effort.  He pushed Brandenstein to the limit with both guys working hard.  Brandenstein's matches are  typically fun to watch with a lot of action.

-  Kuhn is a handful at 103

-  Will Vibbert be at 103 come sectionals?

-  Appel and Riggs was a good match and I agree that the stall call was strange at the end - not saying it wasn't the correct call.

-  I was impressed with Bogan at 152 even with a 6-2 loss to Weinzaphel.  He is very active and keeps pushing the action.

-  Schneider at 160 did not miss a beat as a replacement for Simms.

-  Mitchell Schnarr had great effort at the end of the 130 match vs. Mangold to try and get it under 8pts.  He came up short but I loved the effort.  

-  Vanhook seemed to control the match against Pierre but the 2-1 final score would say otherwise.

-  Boots is just BOOOOOOOOOTS - very tough!

-  The last match kind of summed up the night for me.  Schnarr is a small 215 and Wright is a formidable opponent but this outcome surprised me.  

Looking forward to the SIAC - everyone knows I will have my scenarios where Reitz can win it with a little help from the Welch Boys and others  ;D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.