Intermat Fab 50 Team Rankings IL:5 IN:0

devildog47959

agreed. we are not even close devildog.. stick to your field of expertise, the logansport regional.

We wont be able to get these teams together, but we will be able to get some of the wrestlers together in the IN vs IL duals at the end of the season.  I know our boys can compete with them, wont be surprsied to see IN win the duals

As far as the Logan regional, I try my best to stay up on the teams and wrestlers that feed into the Logan regional. We have had some very good wrestlers come from the Logan regional over they years, but my knowledge of the sport gos far  beyond the Berries Gym in February.

Let's compare the top individual in each weight now.

103:

IL: # 7  Matt Garelli -  Fenwick

IN: none

112:

IL: #2 Jered Cortez - Marmion Academy

IN: #4 Cody Phillips - Union COunty

119:

IL: #19 Derek Elmore - Manchesny Park Harlem

125:

IL: #10 Eddie Klimara - Providence Catholic; #18 Danny Sabatello - Stevenson

130:

IL: #9 Ben Whitford - Marmion Academy; #12 Zane Richards - Carbondale; Joey Gosinski - Glenbard North

135:

IL: #8 Jameson Oster - Lockport; #9 Trevor Jauch - Crystal Lake Central

140:

IL: #13 Lucas Smith - Wheeling; #20 Brian Murphy - Glenbard North

IN: #3 Jason Tsirtsis - Crown Point

145:

IL: #3 Edwin Cooper - Providence Catholic

IN: #13 Eric Roach - Crown Point

152:

IL: #4 Max Schneider - Chicago Lane; #6 Joey Kielbasa - Crystal Lake Central

160:

IL: #18 Dylan Reel - Washington; #20 Steve Congenie - Villa Park

171:

IL: #2 Jahwon Akui - Saint Rita; #8 Sam Brooks - Oak Park River Forest

IN: #13 Drake Stein - Princeton

189:

IL: #3 Austin Marsden - Crystall Lake Central

IN: #8 Mitch Sliga - Fishers

215:

IL: #5 Gage Harrah - Crystal Lake Central; #8 Michael Sojka - Winnebago; #11 Josh Marchok - Schaumburg; #20 West Cathcart - Geneseo

285:

IL: #7 Jack Allen - Hinsdale Central; #13 Chris Lopez - Carl Sandburg

Based off that I think that this year IL is better than IN.

Let's compare the top individual in each weight now.

103:

IL: # 7  Matt Garelli -  Fenwick

112:

IL: #2 Jered Cortez - Marmion Academy

IN: #4 Cody Phillips - Union COunty

119:

IL: #19 Derek Elmore - Manchesny Park Harlem

125:

IL: #10 Eddie Klimara - Providence Catholic; #18 Danny Sabatello - Stevenson

130:

IL: #9 Ben Whitford - Marmion Academy; #12 Zane Richards - Carbondale; Joey Gosinski - Glenbard North

135:

IL: #8 Jameson Oster - Lockport; #9 Trevor Jauch - Crystal Lake Central

140:

IL: #13 Lucas Smith - Wheeling; #20 Brian Murphy - Glenbard North

IN: #3 Jason Tsirtsis - Crown Point

145:

IL: #3 Edwin Cooper - Providence Catholic

IN: #13 Eric Roach - Crown Point

152:

IL: #4 Max Schneider - Chicago Lane; #6 Joey Kielbasa - Crystal Lake Central

160:

IL: #18 Dylan Reel - Washington; #20 Steve Congenie - Villa Park

171:

IL: #2 Jahwon Akui - Saint Rita; #8 Sam Brooks - Oak Park River Forest

IN: #13 Drake Stein - Princeton

189:

IL: #3 Austin Marsden - Crystall Lake Central

IN: #8 Mitch Sliga - Fishers

215:

IL: #5 Gage Harrah - Crystal Lake Central; #8 Michael Sojka - Winnebago; #11 Josh Marchok - Schaumburg; #20 West Cathcart - Geneseo

285:

IL: #7 Jack Allen - Hinsdale Central; #13 Chris Lopez - Carl Sandburg

Based off that I think that this year IL is better than IN.

Thanks for posting that Info, I hope we get to see some of these matchups in the IN vs IL duals at the end of the season! Be some very good matches

Must be all that class wrestling they have going on.  ::)

While that certainly may play a role, I would suggest that the biggest impact is that Illinois has roughly double the population of Indiana.  I don't have any raw data to back this up, but Illinois probably has twice the participation level (# of wrestlers).  If they have a larger advantage on participation than the population difference would dictate, then the class wrestling argument would certainly have a seat at the table for increasing participation. I'm pretty sure this has been discussed previously on this site.

Merry Christmas to all up at this hour. I have about 12 minutes to go for my official Christmas day.

Iowa has over a million less people than us and 18 ranked wrestlers.   

Boys participation-all sports

Illinois- 205,544

Iowa- 84,296

Indiana- 93,424

Boys participation - wrestling

Illinois-17,814

Iowa- 6,665

Indiana- 7,854

A conclusion would be that Iowa is a better wrestling state than Indiana.  News only to those that have crawled out from under a rock this morning. Illinois compared to Indiana would require more data mining and debate than I have time for right now. But I do think it is debatable.

This, to me, is a different question than which state has the best wrestlers. It would seem Illinois has that wrapped up based upon performance and rankings both (as compared to Indiana).  It's a question of which state does better with the resources at hand.

Source for data:  http://www.nfhs.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=4198

I'd say while Illinois best has a slight egde, that in a match up their best vs. our we can hold our own.

However, at this point the main factor is that Illinois as a state has had much more depth than what we currently have in Indiana.

However, the start of the topic was their top team vs. our top teams.  The teams in that rankings have a long storied history of very talented teams and individual wrestlers.  So, while it could be closer than some think, I would tend to lean towards their top 3 teams being stronger than ours.   After you get past the top 3 though I would suspect an even showing among the other top IL teams vs. our IN teams.

As far as the Logan regional, I try my best to stay up on the teams and wrestlers that feed into the Logan regional. We have had some very good wrestlers come from the Logan regional over they years, but my knowledge of the sport gos far  beyond the Berries Gym in February.

Keep an eye on my boy Devildog...Daniel Campbell 189 from Laf Harrison at the Logan regional...he may be headed to the USMC so he could be one of your favorites! lol

Keep an eye on my boy Devildog...Daniel Campbell 189 from Laf Harrison at the Logan regional...he may be headed to the USMC so he could be one of your favorites! lol

Ill keep a look out! 189 seems to b pretty open this year, Id say Nethercutt who was a SSQ last yr at 171 from Pioneer will win the TL sectional. If your son wins the Jeff sectional these 2 should meet up in the regional final. I see your son is ranked #13 this year, how did he do last yr? Has he wrestled anybody ranked yet this season? Well good luck the rest of the yr!

As far as the Corps go's I've always said that wrestlers make the best Marines! If he does decide to take the challenge to be one of  ''The Few, The Proud''  I wish him the best of luck! I'm sure you take a lot of pride watching him win out on the mat, but I promise that if he earned the title Marine graduation day would be a day you would never forget and the pride you would feel would be unmatched.

Semper FI

Class wrestling drove Iowa State grad Dan Goebel to 3 NCAA championships, Olympic championships, world championships.

It was classed high school wrestling which propelled his teams to 9 straight NCAA championships as coach of Iowa.

Funny though, Dan Gable did the same thing....small world  ;D

The point is that more participation in wrestling would help a lot and probably drive more boys to compete nationally in the off season. The only real problem is that multi-sport athletes are encouraged to jump from sport to sport. Maybe the wreslters in Illinois are picking one sport instead and doing more nationally.

I know the Welch twins competed some stuff nationally and it put them back a little bit in baseball (their dad is the baseball coach and they are pretty good at that too).

who knows, maybe there is something in the water over there

I have to say Nickster90 if you are going to pimp Iowa...YOU have to spell Coach Gable's name correctly!

You would probably see more of those Indiana boys nationally ranked if they would quit using legs as their primary offense on top!  Watched Penn vs. Mishawaka on Broadcastsport.net and I have never seen so many leggers at one meet.  Seldom see anyone run legs here in Iowa ...great to stall with but hard to score from...only see them as the result of a crazy scramble.  My son's coach screams everytime one of his wrestlers starts to put a boot in...

Also, wrestling is part of the culture here in Iowa, similar to how basketball is in Indiana...but instead of hoops on the sides of barns we have wrestling mats in basements.  A simple mid week dual is a crazy spectacle with packed bleachers, cheerleaders and pep bands...its nuts.  I do think the sport continues to grow in Indiana...I know both my nephews in Indiana live for it!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.