HYWAY Schedule - Premature Eschedulation

ekocottonball

Last year I took our wrestlers to  a few HYWAY tournaments.  Interesting competitions and liked the format.  When I look at this year's HYWAY schedule, I don't see too much.

As a supporter, I wonder if HYWAY shot their load early this year by scheduling too many tournaments in October (5 events), November (1 event) & December (2 events)?  Can't help wondering if those 8 events would have better attendance numbers if held in January, February & March.

A person from HYWAY said last year their tournaments were meant to be post-football season and go until mid-spring.  Consequently, the early scheduling of tournaments, especially in October, confused me and our wrestlers this year.  Nearly all the boys on our wrestling team play football.  So nearly any tournament in October and November is out.

MYWAY in Michigan has virtually nothing in the fall, but come January they have an explosion of tournaments.  I hope HYWAY keeps this in mind next year.  I don't even see a HYWAY State scheduled right now and only two tourneys in January.

HYWAY is a young organization and please don't take this as mean spirited.  I think these are points to consider, though.

HYWAY is very young at this stage.  We are currently scheduling tournaments and schools from north central Indiana and farther north are on board.  The state tourney will be in March at Huntington North High School.  More information will be coming on the web site:  http://www.hywaywrestling.com/

Be patient.  This state is very uneasy about another organization having tournaments.  Our goal is to grow wrestling in the state, but we need support from all clubs that want to grow wrestling and want to have tournaments and dual meets.

One thing to keep in mind in comparing Michigan to Indiana is that in Michigan, folkstyle is run by MYWA and freestyle and greco are USA wrestling so it is a different ballgame up there. One thing I can say is that I have been to many MYWA events and thay are run very well  700 - 9oo kids, start @ 10am (on time) and out with 4-5 matches by 3-4 pm because they use matside pairings exclusivley. I sure wish that the ISWA would start this practice 

One thing I can say is that I have been to many MYWA events and thay are run very well  700 - 9oo kids, start @ 10am (on time) and out with 4-5 matches by 3-4 pm because they use matside pairings exclusivley. I sure wish that the ISWA would start this practice   

I agree with the matside pairing idea for ISWA.  I ran our clubs tournament last year and tried doing matside pairings on my own and it was an absolute debacle.  The ladies who volunteer their time from the ISWA to help run our tournament were old school through and through as to how they wanted to the tourney to run and when I said I was doing matside pairings they just kind of stood back and watched everything implode.  It was pretty funny actually.  I was wondering if there was any kind of software support that would help a person running a ISWA tourney to do matside pairings?

The ladies who volunteer their time from the ISWA to help run our tournament were old school through and through as to how they wanted to the tourney to run and when I said I was doing matside pairings they just kind of stood back and watched everything implode.

I feel very sorry this happened to you.  I have been quite impressed with matside pairings at the two HYWAY events we attended last year.  Matside pairings are far better.  There are people, like Tom Dolly for example, who are working hard to get the ISWA to modernize itself on the pairings side of things.  Mr. Dolly really cares about those kids and time at tournaments.  He and several others are fighting an uphill battle with some people who are clinging to antiquated and outmoded methods of pairings which simply squanders a lot of time.

I agree with the mat side pairing idea for ISWA.  I ran our clubs tournament last year and tried doing matside pairings on my own and it was an absolute debacle.  The ladies who volunteer their time from the ISWA to help run our tournament were old school through and through as to how they wanted to the tourney to run and when I said I was doing matside pairings they just kind of stood back and watched everything implode.  It was pretty funny actually.  I was wondering if there was any kind of software support that would help a person running a ISWA tourney to do matside pairings?

Tell City and Jasper both run ISWA folkstyle tournaments and they do matside pairing. It works great for them.  They do not have weighins on the day of the tournament. When you walk in the day of the tournament the brackets are up and you know what mat you are on for the day. They have one person at each mat who just does the pairings and bout cards for that mat. When you get down to the placement rounds if you are wrestling for 3rd and 4th place as soon as your match is over you get your award or if you are wrestling for 1st and 2nd as soon as the match is over you get your award.  This is so much better than spending the day in the gym a then after your last match waiting an hour or more to get your award.

The ISWA will implement matside pairing at both 2011 Folkstyle State Final events. They are also working on ways to use matside pairing at FS & GR State. However, FS & GR are a little more difficult using vertical pairing.  Also, training is being offered to clubs who want to use matside pairing at their event. Patt Van Horn and Pat Culp have both offered to train all who are interested.

The ISWA will implement matside pairing at both 2011 Folkstyle State Final events. They are also working on ways to use matside pairing at FS & GR State. However, FS & GR are a little more difficult using vertical pairing.  Also, training is being offered to clubs who want to use matside pairing at their event. Patt Van Horn and Pat Culp have both offered to train all who are interested.

I think that is wonderful news!  I hope more clubs take the iswa up on this offer of training to run their local tournaments.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.