Al Smith invite

ontherise219

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Merrillville          Lawrence North              Northwood                    New Prairie

Lake Central      Lawrence Central            Elkhart Memorial        Calumet

Lowell                  Center Grove                  Goshen                          Munster

Chesterton          Southport                        South Bend Adams    Hobart

LaPorte              Bellmont                          South Bend Riley        Peru

Rochester            East Noble                      Penn                              Jasper

Princeton            Prairie Heights              Mishawaka                    Michigan City

Columbus East  Warsaw                            Jimtown                        South Bend St. Joe

just need clarification what two days the tournament is, our schools schedule says 28th and 29th , but mishawaka's schedule on their web site says 29th and 30th, want to believe that the Mishawaka site is right since its their tournament, but need to be sure.

Having been both a competitor & coach at the Al Smith tournament & State, imop day 2 of the Al Smith is closer to State then to Semi-State.  Mathematically you may be correct (22% about SS numbers).  However, the intensity-desperation I personally felt and that I also see in my wrestlers' eyes on the second day of Al Smith can only be matched by State.

I have watched some unholy brutal matches over the years and a large percentage of them have taken place day2 of Al Smith.  You can't believe how after wrestling 6-7 matches over two days, how nasty some tough wrestlers will fight just for a 5th place Al Smith medal.  Any medal, 1st-8th, is an enormous badge of courage, especially for those northern Indiana kids who have spent 14 years just waiting to compete in that tournament.

Having been both a competitor & coach at the Al Smith tournament & State, imop day 2 of the Al Smith is closer to State then to Semi-State.  Mathematically you may be correct (22% about SS numbers).  However, the intensity-desperation I personally felt and that I also see in my wrestlers' eyes on the second day of Al Smith can only be matched by State.

I have watched some unholy brutal matches over the years and a large percentage of them have taken place day2 of Al Smith.  You can't believe how after wrestling 6-7 matches over two days, how nasty some tough wrestlers will fight just for a 5th place Al Smith medal.  Any medal, 1st-8th, is an enormous badge of courage, especially for those northern Indiana kids who have spent 14 years just waiting to compete in that tournament.

I agree with you....I have seen plenty wilt from the intensity and others use the tournament as a springboard to a fine season.

The Tournament to top all tournaments. No matter who you face . You better lace them up tight. This show can make a rookie into a future champion. No place for the timid and weak of heart. I feel very lucky to be a part of this great event. While most people are looking forward to Christmas, I am looking ahead to the Al Smith. I must be crazy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so are you guys saying that the competion at the al smith is head and shoulders above that of the mater dei holiday or that of connersville?? i have been to the latter 2 but never to the al smith. it sounds like its time i make the trip up from indy to witness this trn. first hand.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.