Double DQ

AC Computer

I've been waiting for Y2 to post this because he, Coach Fielden, & I were trying to figure it out last night.  We had a double DQ (you can probably guess the weight) and we were discussing how that reflects on the wrestler's record.  Obviously, it's not a win, but can it be considered a loss since your opponent didn't win either?  Should you consider it a tie?  I know I marked it as a loss on the wrestler's record on our website, but I'll change it if someone can show me where it is defined.

You got that right!

Ignorance of heavyweight wrestling techniques has always permiated our great sport.  From coaches who never wrestled heavier than 125, to officials who don't recognize that what might be considered stalling in a 103 lb. match is actually a great setup move in a heavyweight match.  Heavyweights don't (and never will) wrestle like little guys, and until you realize this you will continue to lose and so will the kids that don't fit the mold of what "you" consider wrestling.

Ignorance of heavyweight wrestling techniques has always permiated our great sport.  From coaches who never wrestled heavier than 125, to officials who don't recognize that what might be considered stalling in a 103 lb. match is actually a great setup move in a heavyweight match.  Heavyweights don't (and never will) wrestle like little guys, and until you realize this you will continue to lose and so will the kids that don't fit the mold of what "you" consider wrestling.

I said that tongue in cheek.

I actually agree with Karl.  The quality of wrestling at heavyweight is much lower than any other weightclass.  While it's true that heavyweights do have their own "style," that "style" consists of sloppy, and oftentimes downright bad, technique.  I've seen very successful heavyweights with no concept of basic things like keeping their hips under them on a shot, or not putting their knee to their head while standing up.  This is mostly because they can get away with sloppy technique due to their strength, size, and their opponents lack of skill thoughout the season.  Line up the best lightweight wrestlers and the best heavyweight wrestlers, and the lightweights will have better technique almost every time.  While this is obviously not true for every heavyweight, we shouldn't be giving credit where it isn't due.

Great strength, very good speed, tremendous balance, technique of middle weight.  

I will say in most cases once we hit state most of the HWT have more of this description.  In semi-state the true wrestlers begin to eliminate the belly bumper who only developed one move to score off of.  We may not see to many crazy scrambles and athletic moves, but the technique and movements of the state level HWTs is much more on par with solid wrestling.

I can name several HWT state champs over the years with great tech but none come close to Andy. The first state I ever went to was his junior year and it took all of about 30 sec of watching him wrestle to see a great wrestler. I've never understood why more HWTs don't take his approach of mastering technique. 

I can name several HWT state champs over the years with great tech but none come close to Andy. The first state I ever went to was his junior year and it took all of about 30 sec of watching him wrestle to see a great wrestler. I've never understood why more HWTs don't take his approach of mastering technique. 

It takes a lot more effort at that body size to master technique. Many heavyweights are heavy due to the fact that they are not generally very active or hardworking individuals. If they were, they wouldn't be that "belly busting" heavy to begin with.

Very few heavies look like they are at a healthy weight.  Many may not have competition in the room to push them.

Just because they don't look like they are from Ethiopia doesn't mean they aren't healthy.  I would say many 103lber look very unhealthy at their weight.

Very true about the 103 lbs guys. Still, those belly buster guys one of the other posters mentioned are not at a healthy weight.  What body fat percentage do you think is in the healthy range? Some of these guys miss it by 10 percentage points.

Y2, going by all the evidence that has been found about the health problems associated with being overweight, I think you'd be hard pressed to argue that a 280 lb high schooler is healthier than a 105 lb high schooler.

I think a big part of the reason technique isn't very important for heavyweights is that they can get away with it, due to their size, strength or whatever.  Why learn how to correctly finish a takedown when you can finish it on 90% of your opponents just by barrelling into them?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.