Wrestlers shaking hands with opponenet Coaches after a match

SlickRodz

I hate this post...it goes up here every year and every year the results are the same...some people say it's a school's preference and some people call it disrespectful...and every year MD is the only school that seems to be "named."  I saw some of the MD kids shaking hands with some of the other team's coaches at Mt. Vernon.  As long as a wrestler is a good sport and shows good sportsmanship to the opposing team before, during, and after the match it doesn't matter if he shakes the opposing coach's hand or not. 

I hate this post...it goes up here every year and every year the results are the same...some people say it's a school's preference and some people call it disrespectful...and every year MD is the only school that seems to be "named."  I saw some of the MD kids shaking hands with some of the other team's coaches at Mt. Vernon.  As long as a wrestler is a good sport and shows good sportsmanship to the opposing team before, during, and after the match it doesn't matter if he shakes the opposing coach's hand or not. 

Settle down matchick...Crown Point was  the focus in one discussion if I'm not mistaken. It comes up every year cause new members are not aware of such discussions...are they supposed to read all the topics before they ask?

ff

Settle down matchick...Crown Point was  the focus in one discussion if I'm not mistaken. It comes up every year cause new members are not aware of such discussions...are they supposed to read all the topics before they ask?

ff

Yes they are, how else are they supposed to learn the history of this sport. This site has it all right there for you to read.  ;D

I played hockey in the USHL, and in college.  We played every Fri. and Sat. night never once did we shake hands after a Friday game always after the last game of a series.  So who really cares if the wrestlers shake hands with the coach.  In my opinion there is way too much hand shaking going on any ways.  All the wrestlers shake the coaches hand after the match .  There is only more chances for things to go wrong in this highly emotional sport!

During the Purdue/Missouri dual only one wrestler ran over after the match and shook the opposing coaches hand...165.  I was told by a former Purdue wrestler that I was sitting with that it wasn't what he was supposed to do.  As it puts the opposing coach in a situation where he has to make a decision to stop prepping his wrestler taking the mat or turn his back on the wrestler wanting to show his respect. 

I really can't believe this came up again??????? Who cares!? I don't see the coach out there wrestling the kid why shake his hand? I wrestled for MD I never knew the story about the coach spitting on the kid but we never shook the coaches hand in grade school and we never shook it in high school either you shake it at the end of a dual but if you wanna talk at a tourny you can usually find each other after the match on the side of the floor.

[/quote

I agree with the first part of this paragraph.  As wrestlers we shake hands alot, it was demanded by my coaches to shake it up everytime we got a chance so it didnt bother me much.  But as a coach and competitor i realize there is sometimes where you dont want that extra interaction if there is maybe a questionable call or there is some bad blood between teams or opponents.  I'd say let the coaches and young men competing decide what they are goin to do.

I can't believe the lack of sportsmanship I have seen at duals this year. Sure, I saw kids go over and shake the other teams coaches hands after their individual matches but they did not shake the hands of all the other teams wrestlers, the other teams managers, other teams film crew, bus driver, the scoreboard operator and time keepers, the janitor, or the fans hands after the match. To show good sportsman ship each wrestler should do this after each match. Oh, I forgot the hard working people in the concession stand.

I have competed with Bellmont for the last 20 years on the mat and as a coach.  And most of the time on the losing end of it.  They have always been a class act.  There wrestlers and coaches are always respectful.  I'll take that over a jerk for a wrestler that comes over and shakes your hand because he has to.  (This does mean he has good sportsmanship)  Just means he can be forced to do something. 

Dane

It is not about shaking hands it is about respecting people. :)

I have coached against Bellmont the last two years in duals and against many of their wrestlers at semi-state.  I have NEVER felt they disrespected our team or really any other team in the state for that matter.  Bellmont is one of the classiest programs in the state and I would not hesitate to send my kids to wrestle for Faurote and company.  I have never witnessed a Bellmont wrestler being anything but classy and a very good sportsman whether they win or lose.

I have competed with Bellmont for the last 20 years on the mat and as a coach.  And most of the time on the losing end of it.  They have always been a class act.  There wrestlers and coaches are always respectful.  I'll take that over a jerk for a wrestler that comes over and shakes your hand because he has to.  (This does mean he has good sportsmanship)  Just means he can be forced to do something. 

20 years?  Wow grandpa!

Come on you non handshakers, go and shake the bus drivers hand?  I loved the post though got a good chuckle out of it.  "It is cold and flu season so I don't want any germs."  Come on man, if you are really involved in this sport, shaking someone's hand should be the least way of physical contact you are worried about getting GERMS.  I would repsect you more if you just come out and say I don't believe in the act of shaking the other coaches hand at the end of a match.  To me it is a matter of personal preference, I would not think differently of a team if they did not want to shake my hand if I was in the corner.  Can it be a show of good sportsmanship, sure.  Can it turn into a show of bad sportsmanship, absolutely.  Let's let this topic go already, I am sure with the Holiday tourneys coming up we can find more suitable topics for discussions.

P.S.

To all you fist bumpers out there, if I was still coaching I would just have my wrestlers reach out and shake that fist!  ;D

Really?  How can this thread get so long.  Hasn't this dead horse been flogged enough over the past 15 years.  The entire hand shaking got out of control in the late 80s and early 90s.  For Christ sake the athletes shake hands before the meet or tournament championship.  Then again before the actual match, then again after the match, then the coach after the match, then again after the meet when the teams shake the hands of everyone including the coaches.  I have heard the question "How can there be too much sportsmanship?" My answer is "easy,by shaking hands too many freaking times!"  Trust me, shaking hands with a kid that just lost isn't something that any coach wants to do.  Let the kid come to grips with losing before making him shake anyone's hand.  Shaking the coaches hand is not a show of respect, it's just annoying.  I respect the teams that don't send their kids over to the coach. Just one man's opinion.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.