Wrestlers shaking hands with opponenet Coaches after a match

SlickRodz

I want opinions in the follwoing situation;

Two wresetlers complete a match, return to center and shake hands. Then (at Bloomington South and 90% of the schools in the state) both wresetlers shake the hand of the opponents coach. I have seen a few schools that do not shake the opponenets chaches' hand. Mater Dei does not. I talked with one of their assistance a couple of years ago and he told me that there was an incident during their string of State Championships where a coach from another team spit on one of their wrestlers during a hand shake. That ended it for them, and to be truthful I do not blame them (and loath the coach in question ????).

Last weekend we wrestled a team that did not shake hands. One of our fans ask one of their coaches after the match as to why. Answer: "it is not in the rules and you never see college programs doing it".

I agree with both things he said, however I think it classless and does not teach the respect element that many of the HS Coaches want to instill in their wrestlers.  >:(

Where do you weigh in?

To be completly honest when i was in school I never would shake the coaches hand from the other team after a match, it didn't seem like anyone did.  But when i started coaching I noticed more and more kids did.  All the teams I have coach do it but we have wrestled a couple programs that don't.  It doesn't really matter to me.  We shake everyones hand at the conclusion of the dual anyway.

I may notice, but wouldn't think much of it if they didn't.  They are just going through the motions when they do it, not because they specifically think about showing respect to the coach.  I Don't really think it is showing disrespect if they don't either.  It's just something we all do.

Isn't it common practice in Freestyle and Greco to shake the hands of the opposing coaches and the ref and judges?  Maybe that is why we think we have to do it after each individual match....  I would rather not shake a million hands on a Saturday during cold and flu season, but oh well everyone else does, so as not to appear as a bad sport we do.... but it is Shomer Shabbas, we really shouldn't be doing anything, not even bowling!!!  

I don't feel hand shaking should be required.  

That being said I do feel that it is gesture of respect toward the opposing coach and I like to see it.  

I guess it?s a little like leaving a tip.  Some people leave a tip whether the service is good or not while others leave a tip only when the service is good.  It is a personal decision and should not be dictated.

This seems to come up every year.  

Very simple.......its personal preference and in no way should be considered classless.  !!!!!!!!  The wrestlers normally shake the coaches hand at the end of the dual anyway.  So why do it twice?  There is no disrespect intended and should not be taken that way.  Might be against tradition, but thats all.

In the course of a dual most teams will shake hands multiple times with their oppoenent and the opposite coach.  During face offs, before the start of the match, after the match with the coach/team.  So I don't necessarily have an issue with kids not shaking hands with the coach yet another time after the individual match.

However, in a tournament situation the opponent and the other coach do not at any point shake hands if it doesn't occur right after the match.  I would think out of a sign of respect of the coach and their program it would be worth making an effort to shake hands in that situation compared to a dual meet setting.  Obviously this breaks some of the dual meet routine but everyones routine is different compared to a dual and the wrestlers shouldn't be to confused about it.  I do not lose respect for a wrestlers for not shaking hand since they are just doing as their coach instructed them.  However, I tend to appriciate another teams wrestler that is willing to make the effort to say good luck, ask how the season is going, or shake a coaches hand at some point during that days event.

Our kids are asked to shake hands after each match.  If in the course of the match things got heated and hostile we may ask the wrestler to leave the area immidiately rather than make the situation worse by going over to the opposite bench.  Those are really a rare occasion and I see no reason to use that as a reason to stop shaking hands.  I find in most cases that coaches even when heated in the match can find a way to act respectful for a handshake since they are representing tehir school.  We have also asked those wrestlers who had to remove themselves from a bad situation try later if tentions have calmed to to find the coach if he is not busy and shake his hand out of again respect to him and his program.  Obviously if their is some hostility or hint of provocation I believe its worth avoiding that situation.  It those few cases this has never resulted in a further problem and in fact a few coaches have even complimented our wrestlers o ntaking the time to do this.

Lets all knuckle punch from now on... less germ spreading that way!!!!

I see this a lot and think it is cool. I am suprised that most don't think it a big deal. Maybe I am being over critical. Hard to argue the "cold and flu" argument. BTW I in no way think the wreslers are classless, that comment was directed at the coach who made the decision. I am strating to see the other side of this and "classless" seems a bit harsh!

If you all remember, a few years ago, the IHSAA put in the points of emphasis not to have our wrestlers do this.  The reason is because of possible confrontation between wrestlers and opposing coaches or wrestlers.  There have been several times where there was some sort of confrontation.  I never used to because of this reason.  Then our Superintendent came to one of the matches and told the AD to make us.  The shaking hands all comes from freestyle. My feeling is we already shake hands a bunch, before and after the meets.  I don't know of any other sport you shake hands this much.  Now after tournament matches, I do believe that you should shake hands, because it is the only time you will see that wrestler.

This topic has been discussed in the past. It seems like there are some coaches and individuals on this forum that have rationalized a reason to not have their wrestlers approach the opposing coach and offer their hand in friendship and respect.

Come on now---if more than 99% of the teams do this why do you want to try and change a neat and useful tradition??are we not still trying to help these young men grow and mature??

Why don't all the coaches try to organize and control this sport a little better.For instance many teams wear matching warmups and they have their teams organized on the bench and some teams rise to greet their wrestlers after a match--win or lose.I like this--it shows some team unity and mutual repect for what these boys do to compete on the mat and participate in this grueling sport!

I wish this was more common.

Also, after years of  participation way back in high school and recently following my grandsons I can say that the sport is still great and I love it!However, I do feel like the tournaments and matches could be better presented to the viewing public in order to try and gain more fans.The printed programs, if available, could present more information,the annoucements could be done better so that people could hear and understand,and the results posted and given more often.Maybe even some special recognition of ranked wrestlers.Or a heads up that there is a potential match between 2 ranked wrestlers---something of that nature.

Good Lord, not this subject again.  Joe, would you please suspend for one week the next person who starts a thread like this or any person referencing the subject of "post match hand shaking?"  I know it's a well intentioned subject but the hand wringing regarding whether teams do or don't is just too much to take.

I like to see both wrestlers shake the coach's hand after the match. But also do not think it's distespectful if one doesn't.

Also as far as the spreading germs excuse if you are worried about spreading or catching germs I think you are in the wrong sport.

Good Lord, not this subject again.  Joe, would you please suspend for one week the next person who starts a thread like this or any person referencing the subject of "post match hand shaking?"  I know it's a well intentioned subject but the hand wringing regarding whether teams do or don't is just too much to take.

Yeah, only class wrestling topics on this board please.

Yes it is not in the rules.

So what!

If someone offers, then it is common politeness or Good Sportsmanship.

I think that it is common decency to extent your hand.

Ninety percent of the high schools in Indiana shake hands with the coach. If you don?t does that mean that you are rude?

Belmont has a great program but they don't shake hands with the wrestler after they have taken the time to walk over, just to be left hanging or embarrassed...

Let us treat our children with disrespect, what a lesson.

I say Rude! They are the only program in our area that doesn't extend the Sportsmanship.

Maybe one of you can determine which schools, by class, shake hands with oppossing coaches. Also do private schools only recruit wrestlers who shake hands with the other coach. Is there a direct correlation with shaking hands and following their weight loss plan. Do schools that field multiple teams shake hands with the opposing coach. Does shaking hands effect the value of the Japanese Yen????

Maybe one of you can determine which schools, by class, shake hands with oppossing coaches. Also do private schools only recruit wrestlers who shake hands with the other coach. Is there a direct correlation with shaking hands and following their weight loss plan. Do schools that field multiple teams shake hands with the opposing coach. Does shaking hands effect the value of the Japanese Yen????

Does a knuckle bump with the General ensure 10% fewer stalling calls?

Maybe we can do team and individual rankings by whether the kid is a handshaker or a non-handshaker.

Maybe we can rank them on who has the firmest handshake.  Maybe some stats on quickest to shake.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.