New concussion rule question?

ENoblewrestling

If a wrestler is declared to have a concussioin at a meet by a trainer, and removed for the day from that meet wht clearance do they need to wrestle at another event?  Can a trainer clear them, or do they need a note from a doctor?  This is not a question about coming back the same day it is looking at their next event.

IHSAA PROTOCOL FOR IMPLEMENTATION OF NATIONAL FEDERATION OF STATE HIGH SCHOOL ASSOCIATIONS (NFHS) SPORTS PLAYING RULES FOR CONCUSSIONS

?Any athlete who exhibits signs, symptoms, or behaviors consistent with a concussion (such as loss of consciousness, headache, dizziness, confusion, or balance problems) shall be immediately removed from the contest and shall not return to play until cleared by an appropriate health care professional.?

The language above, which will appear in all National Federation sports rule books for the 2010-11 school year, reflects a strengthening of rules regarding the safety of athletes suspected of having a concussion. During the 2009-10 school year, some rules codes required officials to remove from play any athlete who was ?unconscious or apparently unconscious.? This new language reflects an increasing focus on safety, given that the vast majority of concussions do not involve a loss of consciousness. This protocol is intended to provide the technicalities to follow during the course of contests when an athlete sustains an apparent concussion.

1) The Official?s Role in Recognizing a Concussive Event: If an official observes a player that is exhibiting concussive signs, including appearing dazed, stunned, confused, disoriented, to have memory loss, or the athlete is either unconscious or apparently unconscious, he/she shall notify a coach that a player is apparently injured and advise that the player should be examined by a health care provider.

2) If it is confirmed during the contest by the school?s designated health care professional that the student did not sustain a concussion, the head coach may so advise the officials during an appropriate stoppage of play and the athlete may reenter competition pursuant to the contest rules.

3) In the event the contest continues and the designated health care professional does NOT clear the athlete for return during said contest the athlete is subject to the return to play protocol as listed below:

a) Only an MD or DO may clear the individual to return to competition.

B) The clearance must be in writing.

c) The clearance may not be on the same date on which the athlete was removed from play.

4) Regardless of whether the athlete returns to play or not, following the contest, an official?s report shall be filed with a removed player's school by the contest official that removed the athlete from play due to an apparent concussive event. This report shall be filed with the athletic director of the school and may be found on the IHSAA website at www.ihsaa.org.

5) In cases where an assigned IHSAA tournament physician (MD/DO) is present, his or her decision to forbid an athlete to return to competition may not be overruled.

The IHSAA member school?s designated health care professional may be one of the following individuals:

A medical doctor (MD) or doctor of osteopathic medicine (DO) that holds an unlimited license to practice medicine in the state of Indiana, or;

A certified athletic trainer (ATC/L) licensed in the state of Indiana.

Out of curiosity . . .

Let's say a wrestler takes a knock on the head during a match and injury time is called.  It obvious he has some kind of problem, maybe even a concussion, so the trainer and coach forfeit the match and wrestler leaves with parents.

Does the official ever file a report?  Should he have filed a report?  If no report is filed, I would assume there is no record of an injury.  Now it is up to the parents and/or the school officials to watch out for well being of the wrestler.

an official?s report shall be filed with a removed player's school by the contest official that removed the athlete from play due to an apparent concussive event.

Wording still leaves it open for interpretation.  In the example, the coach forfeited the match.  The Official did not remove the wrestler.  In this case, a report does not need filed and the wrestler could come back anytime. ?

Please don't cut and paste parts of this information to suit your opinion !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use the information as intended.

Safety of the student athlete is the only thing that is important.

Trying to find every loop hole, and you wonder why people have lost respect for the sport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enough from me

Please don't cut and paste parts of this information to suit your opinion !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use the information as intended.

Safety of the student athlete is the only thing that is important.

Trying to find every loop hole, and you wonder why people have lost respect for the sport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enough form me

That is a lot of exclamation points.  Sorry if the question made you angry.  It seems to me that the coaching and training staff would normally be with the injured athlete (no matter the sport) and the official would be out of the picture by the time any diagnosis was taking place.  Wrestling probably has the best chance of the intent of the rule being met.  In football, for example, the athlete would be substituted and play would continue.  I am not advocating trying to get around the rule or putting the athletes in unsafe situations.  This seems like a rule designed by a bureaucracy without thinking through how it would be pan out in real world situations.  I don't see the rule as being particularly effective, but I doubt there is enough data yet.  My opinion is that this rule is more directed towards trying to cover liability than anything else.

I am not advocating trying to get around the rule or putting the athletes in unsafe situations.  This seems like a rule designed by a bureaucracy without thinking through how it would be pan out in real world situations.

Agree.  I'm not a High School coach, so am not the one looking for loop holes and was not something I was thinnking about in my comment.  My comment was just that the way the rule is written, it didn't fit the example.  A loop hole would probably unintentionally be there.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.