2010 City Wrestling Champiohships 2 weeks away.

Coach Brown

We are two weeks away from the City Wrestling Championships. As always, it will be held at TC Howe Community HS, on Dec. 18th. Competition starts at 8:30am. A couple of things come to mind about this year tournament.

1. Will Cathedral continue its dominance capturing another title

2. Who will step up and off-set the number of Cathedral's wrestlers looking to make the finals

3. Can Attucks, Robert Hawthrone and Sage Shelton-Hood top their 2nd place finish last year.

4. Tech's Price and McGingley are fun to watch; as Price looks reclaim his dominance as one of the premiere IPS wrestler

5.  Will TC Howe improve on their 3rd place from last year

Come and see what unfolds at this year City Tournament!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cathedral has been winning the city since 81-82(i was on the team) however coach kevin troy(a former cathedral wrestler and on our city championship teams) in his first year of head coach at roncalli won the city in 1988 then again in 1998 .then roncalli left for the county. as a matter of fact in 98 the roncalli team had tee shirts made up that read "Leaving On Top"  when cathedrals coach lance rhodes saw them he had a conniption fit and was Furious(i bet their practice the next week was pure punishment) however cathedral is always a strong choice for the city tourney.i for one would like to see the irish put the whole lineup in the finals and have them all win(something thats never been done before) go returning city champ nephew Mike Venezia and cousin Vinny Cosaro.

Sneaker,

Pretty far stretch to claim Corsaro as a cousin isn't it?  How far removed is he?  Please don't come on her and pretend to be a fan of the program when people that know you have heard you bash the program and the wrestlers and coaches (past and present) on numerous occasions. 

no far stretch at all to call cosaro a cousin just ask his parents. my own opinions are my own just like yours. since you know me so well we can take this up at the city tourney.ill be there and if you have the gall and guts we can talk FACE to FACE. my feelings on this is that you wont show and if you do you will avoid me but trust me ill be looking for you.see ya at the city!

cathedral has been winning the city since 81-82(i was on the team) however coach kevin troy(a former cathedral wrestler and on our city championship teams) in his first year of head coach at roncalli won the city in 1988 then again in 1998 .then roncalli left for the county. as a matter of fact in 98 the roncalli team had tee shirts made up that read "Leaving On Top"  when cathedrals coach lance rhodes saw them he had a conniption fit and was Furious(i bet their practice the next week was pure punishment) however cathedral is always a strong choice for the city tourney.i for one would like to see the irish put the whole lineup in the finals and have them all win(something thats never been done before) go returning city champ nephew Mike Venezia and cousin Vinny Cosaro.

The post that I started was to get the information out about the City Tournament and the location, date, and time. Secondly, its was to get the juices flowing and inform the fans about some probable match-ups that may take place. I am aware that Cathedral has won the City Tourament for many, many, years as I stated. Hell, I can't remember the last time they didn't. I know that I am looking forward to the City and seeing other wrestlers in the finals other than Cathedral's. Don't get me wrong I am sure that they will have some, however I don' t think that it will be all 14!!! Let's throw some names that should make it to the Finals from Catherdal: Veneiza, Hummell, Harvey, Corsaro, and Willis; there are possible others. They have a great feeder and reload well. But they are not the only team(s) that will be represented in the  Finals. These wrestlers have a great shot of "off setting the number of Cathedral wrestlers in the finals" if they meet earler in the touranment. BTW I will post the seeds and possibly the brackets after the seeding meeting next week. Wrestlers to watch IMO: Charlie Baker, Robert Hawthrone, Sage Sheldon-Hood-Attucks, the Perez brothers from Manual, Roderick Harris, Claypool-Northwest;  Jones-Ripple, Price and MicGinley-Tech, Suiters, Doucleff-Scecina, Brown, Fields, Nelis, Hendon-Howe, Dorsey and  others, ( I know that Nick is doing an awesome job there)-Arlington; Bill, Barkley, Fehribach, Sprunger-Chatard and many others. Come and see where the cards fall. I know that Cathdral has also in the past petition to go the county and was denied. I think that your nephew has a good shot and a few of other wrestlers from you "old team" you coached. :)

The post that I started was to get the information out about the City Tournament and the location, date, and time. Secondly, its was to get the juices flowing and inform the fans about some probable match-ups that may take place. I am aware that Cathedral has won the City Tourament for many, many, years as I stated. Hell, I can't remember the last time they didn't. I know that I am looking forward to the City and seeing other wrestlers in the finals other than Cathedral's. Don't get me wrong I am sure that they will have some, however I don' t think that it will be all 14!!! Let's throw some names that should make it to the Finals from Catherdal: Veneiza, Hummell, Harvey, Corsaro, and Willis; there are possible others. They have a great feeder and reload well. But they are not the only team(s) that will be represented in the  Finals. These wrestlers have a great shot of "off setting the number of Cathedral wrestlers in the finals" if they meet earler in the touranment. BTW I will post the seeds and possibly the brackets after the seeding meeting next week. Wrestlers to watch IMO: Charlie Baker, Robert Hawthrone, Sage Sheldon-Hood-Attucks, the Perez brothers from Manual, Roderick Harris, Claypool-Northwest;  Jones-Ripple, Price and MicGinley-Tech, Suiters, Doucleff-Scecina, Brown, Fields, Nelis, Hendon-Howe, Dorsey and  others, ( I know that Nick is doing an awesome job there)-Arlington; Bill, Barkley, Fehribach, Sprunger-Chatard and many others. Come and see where the cards fall. I know that Cathdral has also in the past petition to go the county and was denied. I think that your nephew has a good shot and a few of other wrestlers from you "old team" you coached. :)

Who are the best in city at each of the weight classes people? Lets not wait till the seeding meeting lets hear predictions!

I cannot predict any finals matchups because I don't know too many of the kids wrestling.  With this officially being my first year, I have not paid any attention to who is doing what.  I know Willis from Cathedral has the skills, on top of the countless other Fighting Irish looking to make another run.  Although young, they are very talented and will definitely repeat this year.  The question is how much are they going to win by.  I'm sure  McGinley will have them trying to run the tables. 

The main person from Cathedral I am rooting for, outside our guy of course, is Brandt Larson.  One of the best kids I have ever had the pleasure of knowing and rolling around with, and his work ethic and knowledge of the sport will take him very far in my opinion.  I would drop some names of some of Arlington's kids but it is too early in their career's to put them out there and they haven't done anything notable - YET!  Nevertheless, I look forward to a decent City Tournament for Arlington next weekend, but moreso to having this conversation this time next year!

I cannot predict any finals matchups because I don't know too many of the kids wrestling.  With this officially being my first year, I have not paid any attention to who is doing what.  I know Willis from Cathedral has the skills, on top of the countless other Fighting Irish looking to make another run.  Although young, they are very talented and will definitely repeat this year.   The question is how much are they going to win by.  I'm sure  McGinley will have them trying to run the tables. 

The main person from Cathedral I am rooting for, outside our guy of course, is Brandt Larson.  One of the best kids I have ever had the pleasure of knowing and rolling around with, and his work ethic and knowledge of the sport will take him very far in my opinion.  I would drop some names of some of Arlington's kids but it is too early in their career's to put them out there and they haven't done anything notable - YET!  Nevertheless, I look forward to a decent City Tournament for Arlington next weekend, but moreso to having this conversation this time next year!

What weight classes do you feel the Arlington kids are going to be competitive at? I would think the Irish will be #1 @ 112,(if its Hummel) 119,125,135,145,152,160,171,215, and maybe more and all other of their wrestlers no worse than #2 seeds . With that being said I know Tech's McGinley & Price will be #1's if they are at any of the above weight classes. Who are the best of the rest? Dont mean to slight anyone just not familar with, the only other city team I've seen is Manual. What does Attucks and the other teams have?

Good luck to all of the City wrestlers.

Back in my day (can you say that when you're 30-ish?), this always was an outstanding meet.

To the IPS teams: Best of luck.  I'll be pulling for you.

As a former IPS wrestler at Manual (I'd like to think we had strong teams...most of you aren't old enough to remember them), I know that success can be had.  Stay focused and committed to your team and yourself.

For any former Redskins out there - WHBL

What weight classes do you feel the Arlington kids are going to be competitive at? I would think the Irish will be #1 @ 112,(if its Hummel) 119,125,135,145,152,160,171,215, and maybe more and all other of their wrestlers no worse than #2 seeds . With that being said I know Tech's McGinley & Price will be #1's if they are at any of the above weight classes. Who are the best of the rest? Dont mean to slight anyone just not familar with, the only other city team I've seen is Manual. What does Attucks and the other teams have?

In regards to Arlington, there is just no telling right now.  We have our favorites but it all depends on who shows up - figuratively and literally.  I've spent the past 2 weeks exhausting myself on grades, attendence, psychoanalysis, etc.  If it wasn't for our vital coaching staff going over the fundamentals with them, we would be in the library every day if it were up to me.  Our guys will definitely come to compete though, they simply just lack the mat time right now to do anything significant unless we catch some breaks.  We have kids that "wrestle" but haven't developed a team of true "wrestlers" just yet.  Getting closer though.  Honestly, I personally don't have any real expectations of our team right now other than go out and follow our philosophy.   Still, contrary to better judgement, I guess I can put out a TENTATIVE line-up:

103 - Deondre Wilson - 9

112 - Victor Gonzalez - 10

119 - Demetrius Ford - 10

125 - Derek Landers - 9

130 - Robert Duncan - 10

135 - Chris Thomas - 10

140 - Desean Harney - 10

145 - LaQuan Allen - 11

152 - Dareon Fuller - 12

160 - Roderick Day - 10

171 - Noah Perdue - 9

189 - Dave Flores - 12

215 - Gilbert Hutchinson - 10

285 - D'Ante Dorsey - 11

Sneaker is a good name for you and Coach Brown, are you saying that "Sneaker" was a coach at Cathedral?  I do not remember him coaching there.  There will be some great match ups at city this year.

Maybe sneaker was at another private school coaching 8) I know that it was not Cathedral.....

I know for our team the line-up  is pretty much set unless some kids loses the wrestle off:

103-FF

112-Arizona Burns

119-MicGail Field

125-Erik Brown

130-Dominic Nelis

135-Michael Hendon

140-Yonatan Duran

145-Gezer Hernandez

152-Brandon Stone

160-Kevin Moorman

171-Jermaine Merriweather

189-Roberto Garduno

215-Rayshawn Smith

285-Abraham Lopez

Good luck to all of the City wrestlers.

Back in my day (can you say that when you're 30-ish?), this always was an outstanding meet.

To the IPS teams: Best of luck.  I'll be pulling for you.

As a former IPS wrestler at Manual (I'd like to think we had strong teams...most of you aren't old enough to remember them), I know that success can be had.  Stay focused and committed to your team and yourself.

For any former Redskins out there - WHBL

[/quote

WHBL - 4 LIFE

good luck to all participating in the city tourney. good coaching and sportsmenship great reffing. see you all at the city soon good luck to new programs just starting"the only good thing about being on the bottom is there is only one way to go..and thats up to the top"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.